Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery swap enabled!! (In beta, per Elon's tweet)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol its gonna be in 1 location only.

Doesn't say anything about what happens with your battery pack? I assume its a loan and you need to pick it back up within X time?

Originally, it was said that you could have it shipped to your local service centre if you weren't going back through--don't know if that's still the case.

What they should do is when you know you're going on a trip should be able to swap out your original battery pack at your local service center. then you can go driving off on your trip swapping out to random battery packs and then when you get back from the trip you don't have to worry about getting your original battery pack from some random location.

We don't yet know the terms of the pilot program for swapping like versions, much less getting a D pack for an A. My guess is that they'll require the invitees to return to Harris Ranch and have their original pack swapped back in within some rather short time frame. It's just speculation, of course, and unenforceable, but...

From blog "With further automation and refinements on the vehicle side, we are confident that the swap time could be reduced to less than one minute, even with shields"

Does that mean, that swap is not fully automatic at first?

Completely off-topic, but

I do love the irony that the first negative response in this thread is from someone in Virginia...

Yes Virginia there will be more of these (if demand is proven)

Yay yay yay!

(To balance it with a positive response from Virginia).

- - - Updated - - -

What they should do is when you know you're going on a trip should be able to swap out your original battery pack at your local service center. then you can go driving off on your trip swapping out to random battery packs and then when you get back from the trip you don't have to worry about getting your original battery pack from some random location.

Too inconvenient. This needs to be more convenient than a trip to a gas station, or EVs won't take off for Joe the Plumber until we have a 1,000 mile plus battery pack. And that is probably 10-20 years off.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious, from previous trips on this same route, I think everyone makes a stop at Harris ranch and tejon. So this only saves one stop. What's the big benefit? 45 minutes to eat at Harris ranch is not a big deal. But stopping for 45 minutes at tejon does not give you such a nice option as Harris ranch restaurant.

It's a pilot program to test it out and gauge demand. Obviously if Tesla goes forward, the swaps will be in many more locations...probably strictly in California for awhile.