Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Coating to New Tesla??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read the forums and am looking for feedback as to which coating is best for a P85D. I live in Oregon and we have a lot of rain and tree pollen, etc where it will be parked. I have read about a lot of people getting Opti-Coat Pro. The detail shop I called thought something was better. Looking for ideas and feedback. Thanks.

I couldn't figure out the search option but once I posted this it gave me similar threads so I think I found what I need.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best protection is going to be a paint armour such as Xpel or Suntek. Opti-Coat and similar products don't protect against stone chips.

The quality of installation is more important than the product you choose (not counting the difference between a coating and paint armour), and each installer has their own preferences.

As it relates to coatings, products like OptCoat, CQuartz Finest, Modesta are a great way to protect the finish. I'm a fan of nano technology such as CQuartz and Modesta. IMHO, they provide better shine, depth, and gloss than opticoat. I've seen all three on several cars. We apply the latter 2 at our studio. As far as warranty, installer network, and customer support, CQuartz network is by far the best. It's important to remember though, to make sure you know EXACTLY what coating is applied and what steps are taken to apply it. The paint needs to be near flawless as it relates to swirls and scratches before any of the above coatings are applied. So, make sure you have a qualified installer that specializes in Teslas and is aware of the paint issues relating to YOUR car.

As jerry mentioned, the best level of protection would be a self-healing clear film such as XPEL Ultimate or Suntek Topcoated. This is going to cost more, and finding the right installer is even more important. The film is applied over the paint, and it protects against rock chips, scuffs, door dings, and vandalism. The other perk is that the material is self-healing...this means no swirls or scratches. If installed correctly, it's almost undetectable.

Hope this helps

+1 for full body Xpel wrap and then Opti-Coat on top of that. It's not cheap to go all out like that, but it makes the car much easier to clean and you give the original paint a fighting chance against road hazards and parking lot injuries.