Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New User interface for Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
doesn't have the new interface... a little disappointed they touted all this autopilot stuff and the base feature set is way behind that of Mercedes and even Infiniti.... hopefully they don't take 1 year to get things rolled out....

Since the new P85Ds are rolling out, I'm curious to see if they come with the redesigned user interface. Anyone have any pictures? Also, what functions are working? Thanks in advanced

P85D has the same interface all the other cars do.
The hardware to support the adaptive cruise control, auto stop, etc is included in all cars now being built.

The autopilot has a completely different speedo display, reference the D launch video and autopilot section of Model S order page.

Thanks, hadn't seen that.
I suspect that will be a software upgrade, which would be released when the autopilot software goes live, not before.
Again, IMO, this will not be seen in any new cars, be they P85D, 85D or other until there is a software upgrade.
And when that comes, all current cars with that hardware capability and the tech package will have it as well.

I would assume that the autopilot software would be released in phases - get key features released first, and then expand from there. If they wait to release the software until all features are 'ready for prime time', it could be a long time. I'd vote for rolling out features as validated, not waiting to release one big package.

I also think that there will be a button or some control that we would use to enable Autopilot. You don't want it on all the time, just when you need it. When you turn it on, the speedo display will probably change to a new configuration, but only while Autopilot is on. I don't think that would be the new speedo display for all cars. Only when using Autopilot function.

I would assume that the autopilot software would be released in phases - get key features released first, and then expand from there. If they wait to release the software until all features are 'ready for prime time', it could be a long time. I'd vote for rolling out features as validated, not waiting to release one big package.

I'd assume that the key features of value to owners would be ACC, and self-parallel park, Tesla would value crash prevention for safety ratings, and then the niceties would come in bundles.

When I did my test drive of the P85D, here are the features that were active and present....

1) In the lower part of the central display, (the one just behind the steering wheel), there appears
a small postage stamp sized representation of a speed limit sign when the cameras "see" a speed limit sign
at the side of the road or highway. This iconic representation automagically appears for about
3 or 4 seconds and then fades out. Pretty neat.

2) When the cameras see painted lane markers, and you move from lane to lane or wander out of your lane
the steering wheel or seat (I am not sure really which one it was or both??) kind of vibrate to let you know
that you are departing your lane. It feels like a rumble strip. Now, we noticed, that if I use the blinker BEFORE
moving to the next lane, this warning does not happen.

In both of the above, since I was driving and paying attention to other things, I did not ask how these features
are turned on or off or how to control them. I am sure the salesman knew how but I was more interested in other
things.

There may have been other features present on the P85D, but I was not aware of them.... or did not use them.
For instance, I did not try to use the adaptive cruise control nor do I know if it is in play on the P85D I tested.

Also I did not see any indication of a Blind Spot Warning System in play. The model S could really use that feature
and I do like it in my Volvo XC60 a great deal.

Perhaps some of the new P85D owners can share their experiences here as time goes on?

Hope this helps...

PS: Is there any place on the web or here on the TMC where the Model S owner's manual is available?
As a prospective owner, I would like to see the owners manual / guide for the latest software?
If you all know where to grab it, please let me know. Thanks. Art

Last edited:
For instance, I did not try to use the adaptive cruise control nor do I know if it is in play on the P85D I tested.
Also I did not see any indication of a Blind Spot Warning System in play. The model S could really use that feature
and I do like it in my Volvo XC60 a great deal.

Those features are not released yet. If you had asked the Tesla employee who was with about them they would have said something like "coming sometime in 2015".

I had a new S85 loaner when I had my car in for annual this last week.
Two additional items I noticed aside from those described by ArtInCT was that
a) there was a small line on the speedometer where the last known speed limit is displayed even after the speed zone sign in the middle goes away. In addition, there is a change in coloration (gray) when you are exceeding the last known speed limit (e.g., showing how far above the speed limit you are in gray). When looking through the settings, it also looked like there was a place where you could configure it to change color X miles above or below the speed limit (e.g., so that it doesn't change color until you exceed the speed limit by 10 mph, for instance).
b) the proximity sensors for front of the car change the display and have a different color based on how close you've gotten to the sensed object (since I don't have parking sensors in mine, this might just be new to me and not a new UI).

P85D owner here. The only activate safety features that are enabled at pick up are Lane Departure Warnings and Speed Limit Detection.

A firmware update is 'imminent', says my sources, which will include active cruise control and blind spot detection. Those will appear in the center of the dash when they activate.

Any talk about adding Heads Up Display (HUD) to the Model S. The car that I am about to trade in for my P85D, a Lexus GS350, has this and I find it useful. (I realize this would have to be for future models only).