Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Inspection worries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model S a couple of weeks ago from a service center in Maryland and hadn't thought about a state inspection until today. I live in south-central PA (Chambersburg) and they think that I'm the only one in this area with a Model S. I'm nervous about taking my new Model S to someone who has never seen one before... just closing the frunk would make me cringe!

I called the closest service center (Rockville) and he told me to take it to any inspection station and tell them:
- The car has lift blocks -- don't lift via the battery
- Tighten torque to 129 ft lbs

I'll add to that list:
- Don't let them close the frunk ;)

Any other tips or recommendations when talking to a mechanic who has never seen a Tesla before?

Thanks!!

I picked up my Model S a couple of weeks ago from a service center in Maryland and hadn't thought about a state inspection until today. I live in south-central PA (Chambersburg) and they think that I'm the only one in this area with a Model S. I'm nervous about taking my new Model S to someone who has never seen one before... just closing the frunk would make me cringe!

I called the closest service center (Rockville) and he told me to take it to any inspection station and tell them:
- The car has lift blocks -- don't lift via the battery
- Tighten torque to 129 ft lbs

I'll add to that list:
- Don't let them close the frunk ;)

Any other tips or recommendations when talking to a mechanic who has never seen a Tesla before?

Thanks!!

The newer Teslas still have the trunk creasing issue? If so this would be beyond ridiculous because there should be no right or wrong way to close the trunk or frunk. Can someone please chime in if they know if this issue has been addressed? We await delivery of our car in February and I hope the frunk creasing is fixed by then as we plan on using the frunk...

I too would be apprehensive taking a Model S to some greasy place... I'd look for an inspection facility that is well maintained and clean as that's likely an indication that they pay attention to detail and are careful with what they do...

I too would be apprehensive taking a Model S to some greasy place... I'd look for an inspection facility that is well maintained and clean as that's likely an indication that they pay attention to detail and are careful with what they do...

The night I ordered mine, an owner said he takes his to a Lexus Dealer for state inspection. "You either get a free latte, or a free inspection with a $17 latte, depending on how you look at it!" I doubt there's even a need to open the frunk for inspection. Until Tesla Time anyway...

Stay very close by. I caught my local Nissan inspection tech crawling around under the dash trying to figure out how to open the hood so that he could inspect the engine. My biggest concern is that they would open the hood and then close it improperly. I'm glad I headed that off.

I wish the Tesla service centers would do state inspections. I'd be happy to pay them to do it instead of worrying each time I took it elsewhere.

Definitely stay close by. Even on my second inspection the state had not entered the Model S into its database. So they inspection station had to call the state up and figure out how to enter the car. It turns out the first inspection station (a different one) messed up the initial data and once the data is entered it is just used each inspection after that. So the state had to delete the data and have the second inspection station enter it correctly (although it was still a hack).

Most garages are respectful of new cars and don't want to anger a customer. I just stay close by because these guys are curious if they haven't seen a tesla before. They have lots of questions and are generally grateful for you to show them about the car.

We're pretty lucky here in CT.. since there's zero emissions, the Model S doesn't require any state inspection. Ever.

But when I was in Mass, I had several problems taking my 1981 Delorean for the state inspection, but luckily I don't have to bother with that anymore.

I happen to have a good relationship with my mechanic... first thing he said was "Hey come on back and let's put it on a lift and check it out!

We went over the whole thing together... and that most consisted of just checking it out and then going for a fun test drive, and then figuring out what to type in to the state computer when it wanted things like "fuel type".

The first safety inspection for a new car is mostly paperwork in PA. They finally realized that doing a detailed inspection on a car that just came off the assembly line made no sense. I had mine done at the Willow Grove, PA AAA service center.

The first safety inspection for a new car is mostly paperwork in PA. They finally realized that doing a detailed inspection on a car that just came off the assembly line made no sense. I had mine done at the Willow Grove, PA AAA service center.

Careful who you say that to if you are mentioning names. :wink:
Could get them in big trouble.:scared:

State Safety and State Emission testing on a new car is such a SCAM! Ask the state how could they sell you a brand new car that is not safe as well as not passing emissions for pollution? I'm sure you have to pay for the emissions sticker too on an electric car which has no exhaust! What would the state do if they couldn't get free money off you!

I lived in PA where this had to be done every year! Interesting enough emissions only has to be tested every 2 years, including diesels now, and there's no safety inspections. I think a safety inspection every 2-3 years is a good thing, some people let their car go with things like brakes, suspension, etc that can make their car very accident prone.

Curious why Tesla didn't put an automatic self closing Frunk. For example just let the frunk down lightly and the car will do the rest. They have it for the rear, why not the front?

State Safety and State Emission testing on a new car is such a SCAM! Ask the state how could they sell you a brand new car that is not safe as well as not passing emissions for pollution? I'm sure you have to pay for the emissions sticker too on an electric car which has no exhaust! What would the state do if they couldn't get free money off you!

No, no emission inspection or sticker for electric vehicles here in PA.

The real rip off here is the emission exemption sticker that is available for a vehicle that is used less then 5000 miles per year. Costs you about $3 less then an emission inspection and sticker!

I take mine to a little service station a couple of blocks from my house. First time the guy was just as nervous about putting it up on the lift as I was, so he did a cursory test of the brake lights. Year #2 it went up on the lift; I made sure to pull out the little info card from the glove box and made sure he knew where the lift points were. That's the advantage of a small shop; you can hang out, chat and supervise while they're doing the job.

Frunk wasn't touched for either inspection.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in Florida, where we have no state inspections at all -- but that said, I am stunned that nanny states require inspections from a ZEV!

These are safety inspections. Brakes, lights, horn, etc. Pain in the butt, but reasonable IMO. Emissions are a separate deal and here in Virgina are only required in higher traffic density parts of the state.

I'm so glad that WA state doesn't require regular inspections on cars, only smog checks on older, non-EV cars. I remember what a pain (and scam) that was when I moved to MD.

That has actually changed in Maryland... There is only one mechanical inspection when a car is purchased, no ongoing. (And all of my ICE cars the inspection just came with the car- not certain it was required). The semi-annual emission inspection is only for ICE vehicles. Hybrids are inspected every three years and electric only vehicles are not tested.

So we got that going for us... which is nice!

That has actually changed in Maryland... There is only one mechanical inspection when a car is purchased, no ongoing. (And all of my ICE cars the inspection just came with the car- not certain it was required). The semi-annual emission inspection is only for ICE vehicles. Hybrids are inspected every three years and electric only vehicles are not tested.

So we got that going for us... which is nice!

What I was referring to was having to get my old, out of warranty car inspected and a bunch of pointless items fixed when I moved to Maryland. It felt like a shakedown.