Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S #11 on Auto Insider 15 Best Cars of 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
15 Best Cars In 2014 | AutoInsider - Part 5

A few quotes...
"...most impressive electric car on the planet..."
"...Design might be somewhat dull compared to some of its gasoline competitors, but it's still a great car overall..."
"...drawbacks, there are two, first one is that you can't really take this car on a road trip..."

Design somewhat dull? In my experience, it's a head turner.
With the ever-expanding Supercharger network, the road trip drawback is quietly and pretty quickly being mitigated.

15 Best Cars In 2014 | AutoInsider - Part 5

A few quotes...
"...most impressive electric car on the planet..."
"...Design might be somewhat dull compared to some of its gasoline competitors, but it's still a great car overall..."
"...drawbacks, there are two, first one is that you can't really take this car on a road trip..."

Design somewhat dull? In my experience, it's a head turner.
With the ever-expanding Supercharger network, the road trip drawback is quietly and pretty quickly being mitigated.

and they put the Honda Accord as #1. Uhhh, and the Tesla is dull?

Honestly, the Model S design (exterior and interior) were the least appealing features of the car at first glance. I've justified the looks now to the point that I appreciate the design but it does look like a large premium Mazda to me. German design still trumps Tesla it obviously I've chosen Tesla over them so I feel the overall package being offered by Tesla is best in the industry.

Honestly, the Model S design (exterior and interior) were the least appealing features of the car at first glance. I've justified the looks now to the point that I appreciate the design but it does look like a large premium Mazda to me. German design still trumps Tesla it obviously I've chosen Tesla over them so I feel the overall package being offered by Tesla is best in the industry.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As it is a matter of taste. I think the best way to take the looks of a Tesla Model S subjectively is a blind test of what people confuse the Tesla with. Such as Aston Martins, Jaguar, Maserati. Since we are talking about people who don't know what a Tesla is or who they are, that is where the Tesla stands on looks.

Personally, I would prefer the look of even a Mazda to that of German brands. Have never been fond of German designs. There are some German designs that do look good, but most I am not too keen on. And no, I am not saying this just because a Tesla was compared to a Mazda, just have never been fond of German designs even before I knew what Tesla was.

So again, design is just a matter of taste.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As it is a matter of taste. I think the best way to take the looks of a Tesla Model S subjectively is a blind test of what people confuse the Tesla with. Such as Aston Martins, Jaguar, Maserati. Since we are talking about people who don't know what a Tesla is or who they are, that is where the Tesla stands on looks.

Tesla has some design similarities to all 3 of those brands. That said I think that people start naming brands they've heard of but can't think of the logo for when they see a car with an unfamiliar badge on it.

As much as I like the Tesla, I don't think it holds a candle to Aston Martin on exterior styling. But like you said design is subjective.

Tesla has some design similarities to all 3 of those brands. That said I think that people start naming brands they've heard of but can't think of the logo for when they see a car with an unfamiliar badge on it.

As much as I like the Tesla, I don't think it holds a candle to Aston Martin on exterior styling. But like you said design is subjective.

So you are saying a person will rather name a random brand rather than just ask? Or just say "nice car" without mentioning the brand?

But let us say that it does happen as you say. As Aston Martin and Maserati logos are not commonly seen. But there is no way someone would mistaken a Jaguar logo. Is there?

'German cars'... I think it is important to be a bit more specific about what we mean exactly, here. 'German' to me is Porsche, BMW, VW and Mercedes Benz before they got involved with the US. For me a 'heavy hand' in the context of car body styling is epitomised by Chevrolet. Much of the Asian input is just 'bland' - not fabulous, not awful. 'Awful', I regret to say, is what described British Leyland's efforts in the 70's and 80's. I can think of at least 2 of their creations that would be very much at the top of my list of 'Most Ugly Cars Ever Made'. What defines a car body's attractiveness? Gracefulness, curvy lines (are we talking about a 'feminine' look?), low Cd...? For me, it is all these things but with a masculine twist - perhaps the best example (though not my favourite) is Aston Martin. I think the MS does a pretty good job of trying to appease everyone whilst also satisfying engineering needs. But I can see why some might think it a bit dated but traditional works for me, so I don't care!

If Tesla wasn't such an innovative electric car platform, the exterior styling would not appeal to me nearly as much. It had to grow on me to the point where I now appreciate many of the lines of the car. Some aspects still leave a bit to be desired but there will be improvements over time.

Imagine if you can that Tesla was an ICE company offering the Model S as a 425hp V8 for $100k in its current body. How would it compare to offerings from other manufacturers in regards to design both interior and exterior? For me I would stick to other manufacturers. This is why I feel that the innovation of the platform is more appealing than the design (interior and exterior) - essentially the Model S gets a "pass" on some design/luxury features due to its innovative platform (all electric with great power/range, 17" screen, etc).

I do do appreciate this is very subjective however the reality is that if not for the platform, very few would choose the Model S over other premium sedans if they all had similar powertranes and infotainment systems.

No thanks! (am not interested in any ICE vehicle, no matter how "easy it is on the eyes")...EV's are about so much more than looks...
Understood - but if EVs weren't a choice and you were choosing a full sized sedan and there was one that a startup named Tesla produced that looks like the Model S inside and out but had similar power and handling characteristics to a BMW M5, E63 AMG, Panamera, or similar... Which would you choose? For me the Model S would loose on looks alone.

The Model S is "dull", the Audi "one of the best looking sedans" and the Boxster "stunning"??? Who ever wrote this need their eyes or their design sense checked. I guess picking the Accord #1 says it all. Still nice to see so many American cars on the list.

Understood - but if EVs weren't a choice and you were choosing a full sized sedan and there was one that a startup named Tesla produced that looks like the Model S inside and out but had similar power and handling characteristics to a BMW M5, E63 AMG, Panamera, or similar... Which would you choose? For me the Model S would loose on looks alone.

That is kind of an unfair comparison. Let us say a Tesla Model S ICE version was made by BMW, Mercedes or Porsche and same exact M5, E63 and Panerema was made made by a new company called Tesla. Or make it even, say the Tesla Model S ICE was made by BMW/Porsche/Mercedes. Looks are subjective and personally I'd take the Tesla Model S looks over the M5, E63 and Panerema.

The problem of valuing an ICE Tesla made by an upstart vs an established brand is looking at the entire picture. For one, future prospects. An ICE Tesla lacks competitive advantage and would most likely share the same fate as Fisker. For someone to dig into a new brand, that brand has to stand out among the competition such as Tesla does with their electric drivetrain and being ahead of the competition technologically.

I love the Tesla Model S from the inside out. From the bare skateboard up. From the open frunk back. From the absent tailpipes forward.

Strange, the comment about a 'premium Mazda' before... Several of the Mazda products on the road today feature a design language that was defined by Franz von Holzhausen, who designed the Model S. There was a Mazda concept car called the Shinari that debuted after he joined Tesla Motors. Though Franz is not credited for that car, it does look an awful lot like an ICE based Model S.

Personally, I see much more of an homage to Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Maserati in the lines of the Model S than anything else. But those companies have been borrowing each other's styling cues for so long it's hard to tell who originated them. As an American car, I believe the Model S successfully accomplishes what Pontiac and Buick attempted to do for much of the past two decades. I find it perplexing that so many choose to compare the Ford Fusion and Kia Optima to the Model S.

I have despised Teutonic design themes my entire life. I have found their cars to be quirky or stodgy at best, boring and ugly at worst. Always astounded me that people considered them 'luxury' cars... Expensive, sure... Not luxurious at all, except perhaps the absolute top-of-the-line versions meant to convey dignitaries.

As a kid, the only Porsche I liked was the 928. It was futuristic looking. Turned out it was the one Porsche fans hated most, because it didn't hearken to the past... Those ugly bug-eyed 911s that I couldn't stand. I've watched with glee as the 911 has morphed into the 928 over the years, but Porsche fans didn't notice. My though, if the Panamera and Cayenne don't go a long way toward keeping the ugly as a fundamental tenet of Porsche design.

BMW 3-Series are ridiculously popular in Los Angeles county. Every other one has a USC or UCLA Alumnus license plate holder it seems. But they gave been positively ugly for like, ever. Only since around 2012 have they finally been brought up to the standard of the 5-Series, and naturally this has garnered complaints of, "It's a better car, but a worse BMW..." from reviewers and enthusiasts. But the 4-Series and 6-Series are ravishingly beautiful designs that make it hard to hate the marque anymore. Luckily, there is the i3. Yeah.

Mercedes-Benz cars have been the epitome of boredom for decades. Way too large. Way too heavy. Way too slow. Thank God Lexus came long and forced them to join the modern era of automotive design. Otherwise, the CLS-Class would never have seen the light of day. Typically, traditional fans of Mercedes-Benz can't stand it, and won't buy it, claiming it 'looks too Japanese'.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't care for luxury cars, or their amenities all that much. This may be due to my barbaric nature. I really hope for a Model S Coupe, or Model ≡ Coupe to arrive some day, as I really don't need a sedan. Even so, since there isn't likely to be a fully electric Buick, Cadillac, or Mercedes-Benz that I would want within the next decade, I'll be buying from Tesla Motors exclusively for a long while.

"U-G-L-Y... You ain't got no alibi... You're just UUUUH-GLEEE-EEE!" - FISHBONE, 'Ugly'

That is kind of an unfair comparison. Let us say a Tesla Model S ICE version was made by BMW, Mercedes or Porsche and same exact M5, E63 and Panerema was made made by a new company called Tesla. Or make it even, say the Tesla Model S ICE was made by BMW/Porsche/Mercedes. Looks are subjective and personally I'd take the Tesla Model S looks over the M5, E63 and Panerema.

The problem of valuing an ICE Tesla made by an upstart vs an established brand is looking at the entire picture. For one, future prospects. An ICE Tesla lacks competitive advantage and would most likely share the same fate as Fisker. For someone to dig into a new brand, that brand has to stand out among the competition such as Tesla does with their electric drivetrain and being ahead of the competition technologically.
Good point. Especially the comparison to Fisker which did have a very nicely designed car but a brand you couldn't stand behind as it didn't have enough traction in the market. The purchasing decision is one of design appreciation and confidence in the manufacturer.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the Tesla Model S from the inside out. From the bare skateboard up. From the open frunk back. From the absent tailpipes forward.

Strange, the comment about a 'premium Mazda' before... Several of the Mazda products on the road today feature a design language that was defined by Franz von Holzhausen, who designed the Model S. There was a Mazda concept car called the Shinari that debuted after he joined Tesla Motors. Though Franz is not credited for that car, it does look an awful lot like an ICE based Model S.

Personally, I see much more of an homage to Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Maserati in the lines of the Model S than anything else. But those companies have been borrowing each other's styling cues for so long it's hard to tell who originated them. As an American car, I believe the Model S successfully accomplishes what Pontiac and Buick attempted to do for much of the past two decades. I find it perplexing that so many choose to compare the Ford Fusion and Kia Optima to the Model S.

I have despised Teutonic design themes my entire life. I have found their cars to be quirky or stodgy at best, boring and ugly at worst. Always astounded me that people considered them 'luxury' cars... Expensive, sure... Not luxurious at all, except perhaps the absolute top-of-the-line versions meant to convey dignitaries.

As a kid, the only Porsche I liked was the 928. It was futuristic looking. Turned out it was the one Porsche fans hated most, because it didn't hearken to the past... Those ugly bug-eyed 911s that I couldn't stand. I've watched with glee as the 911 has morphed into the 928 over the years, but Porsche fans didn't notice. My though, if the Panamera and Cayenne don't go a long way toward keeping the ugly as a fundamental tenet of Porsche design.

BMW 3-Series are ridiculously popular in Los Angeles county. Every other one has a USC or UCLA Alumnus license plate holder it seems. But they gave been positively ugly for like, ever. Only since around 2012 have they finally been brought up to the standard of the 5-Series, and naturally this has garnered complaints of, "It's a better car, but a worse BMW..." from reviewers and enthusiasts. But the 4-Series and 6-Series are ravishingly beautiful designs that make it hard to hate the marque anymore. Luckily, there is the i3. Yeah.

Mercedes-Benz cars have been the epitome of boredom for decades. Way too large. Way too heavy. Way too slow. Thank God Lexus came long and forced them to join the modern era of automotive design. Otherwise, the CLS-Class would never have seen the light of day. Typically, traditional fans of Mercedes-Benz can't stand it, and won't buy it, claiming it 'looks too Japanese'.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't care for luxury cars, or their amenities all that much. This may be due to my barbaric nature. I really hope for a Model S Coupe, or Model ≡ Coupe to arrive some day, as I really don't need a sedan. Even so, since there isn't likely to be a fully electric Buick, Cadillac, or Mercedes-Benz that I would want within the next decade, I'll be buying from Tesla Motors exclusively for a long while.

"U-G-L-Y... You ain't got no alibi... You're just UUUUH-GLEEE-EEE!" - FISHBONE, 'Ugly'
I agree with your assessment and comments. Very interesting about the Mazda Shinari concept - I knew that the head designer for Tesla had come from Mazda (which was the basis for my comment) but I didn't know about this concept which certainly does share some obvious visual cues! Thank you for pointing this out.

Beauty has a time and place. The cars we love today will look dated some time in the future. With an ICE the body of the Model S would still have admirers but many fewer buyers. I think similar to the Panamera.

All the press attention unconsciously increases the "beauty" that we perceive as a group. Exclusivity also increases "beauty" perception. There is a point where too much press etc decrease a brand/design making it common. We are far from that point.

I and a very large percentage of early Model S buyers had never purchased and car at even half its cost. The numbers show a very large increase in the expensive car demographic. This is part of the complacency of the traditional ICE manufacturers blindness. Merc/BMW/Audi do not see much loss of total # of buyers though their market share for $100,000 cars has fallen drastically.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still get more attention and compliments than other cars.