Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger Points Surpass CHAdeMO In North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw this article today. Just wondering how this impacts CHAdeMO adaptor purchases in NA. Is it even worth getting one anymore? Or should we wait for the Supercharger system to become more robust?

Tesla Supercharger Points Surpass CHAdeMO In North America

It depends on if you need to use CHAdeMO to get where you need to go, or if you can make the trip using superchargers. The totals are irrelevant, it's what's on your routes that count.

CHAdeMO is relatively useless, IMO. There is often only one pedestal and only a single car can charge at a time. Thus, there is almost always a wait time. Not to mention, if that one charger goes down, you're out of luck. It's not like you can just back out and try another stall.

I sure wish Tesla Superchargers out numbered Chademo in the US.(776)

Chademo Assoc. website states:

ti_top_world.gif

The number of CHAdeMO DC Quick chargers installed up to today is 4286.
-- (Japan 2129 Europe 1327 USA 776 Others 54) last update 2014.12.08
-- Evolution of the number of CHAdeMO fast charging station

I sure wish Tesla Superchargers out numbered Chademo in the US.(776)

Chademo Assoc. website states:

ti_top_world.gif

The number of CHAdeMO DC Quick chargers installed up to today is 4286.
-- (Japan 2129 Europe 1327 USA 776 Others 54) last update 2014.12.08
-- Evolution of the number of CHAdeMO fast charging station

And each of the US sites has on average 6 charging stalls per site. Thus the aggregate 884 Supercharing points outnumbers the 776 Chademo charging points in the US.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant?

And each of the US sites has on average 6 charging stalls per site. Thus the aggregate 884 Supercharing points outnumbers the 776 Chademo charging points in the US.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant?

No need to average. Supercharge.info knows all. ;)

According to Supercharge.info 852 stalls in the USA (and 34 stalls in Canada). (Another 88 + 35 in Construction).

Current 44kW CHAdeMOs are indeed no good for Tesla's model, but then, they're not being built to sell long-range BEVs. As an emergency or stretch charger for a short-range BEVs 44kW's fine.

Last edited:
Why are so many anti CHAdeMo? It's not a competition. It is not taking anything away from Tesla. It's helping the overall EV adoption. It's good! And once the adapter is available in the US I will get one and sure as heck use it because there are many places I go where there are no Superchargers but several CHAdeMo stations.

Why are so many anti CHAdeMo? It's not a competition. It is not taking anything away from Tesla. It's helping the overall EV adoption. It's good! And once the adapter is available in the US I will get one and sure as heck use it because there are many places I go where there are no Superchargers but several CHAdeMo stations.

Rube Goldberg could not have done a better job if had designed an EV connector. The CHAdeMo is Frankenstein design. Tesla's on the other hand is beautifully simple. Given a choice which one would you use? If there is a choice someday Tesla will win hands down.

They state 776 Chademo Stations... I don't know if there is 1,2, or more charge points.

Your response seemed to imply that you were stating that you felt that superchargers in fact did NOT outnumber Chademo points, but I guess you are saying you don't really know?

I suspect that Chademo # is individual charge points, I've not seen Chademo chargers setup as sites with multiple charge points and listed as a single site.

Like where?

Since you asked, there are nine public CHAdeMO stations in my province and zero Superchargers. Mostly likely, next month there will be 14 CHAdeMO and one Supercharger. So yes, everyone here will gladly purchase the adapter and then pay by the minute at CHAdeMO stations. It sure beats 6kW public charging.