Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-65/i-75 — A New Route from Chicago to Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
Looking at the new "coming soon" map, it appears as if Tesla is completing a new route from Chicago to Florida. This "coming soon" map is correlates well with other information that I have heard. Here are the locations that complete that route.

See Indianapolis, IN to Chattanooga, TN - Google Maps

• Indianapolis, IN - start
  • Louisville, KY - 109 miles
  • Lexington, KY - 79 miles
  • London, KY - 76 miles
  • Knoxville, TN - 98 miles
  • Chattanooga, TN - 104 miles

You can also get on this route from Dayton, OH. Dayton to Lexington is 148 miles.

I-85-I-65.jpg

I averaged 1/2 hour because that would include the extra time to drive to get to the superchargers off the highway. I wish tesla could somehow put them in rest areas. I don't really care if there are a lot of nice amenities nearby. On a trip to fla from chicago I'm not going to peruse the shops in London, KY...

The last I heard, all of the Kentucky chargers are held up due to some zoning issues. Apparently, in the state of Kentucky, to install a L3 charger, the location must be zoned for a gas station. There are no shortages of businesses that want to host a supercharger, but apparently none of them are zoned to allow one. This has held up Lexington, Louisville, and Florence. Hopefully Tesla can find a way to work around this soon, as these chargers are sorely needed.

The last I heard, all of the Kentucky chargers are held up due to some zoning issues. Apparently, in the state of Kentucky, to install a L3 charger, the location must be zoned for a gas station. There are no shortages of businesses that want to host a supercharger, but apparently none of them are zoned to allow one. This has held up Lexington, Louisville, and Florence. Hopefully Tesla can find a way to work around this soon, as these chargers are sorely needed.

I hope that L3 zoning issue gets straightened out soon in Kentucky. Who got that zoning in place, the car dealers lobby or the gas station lobby?

Florence and London, KY would fill in a very nice I-75 route from Toledo to Florida.

Maumee, OH to Chattanooga, TN - Google Maps

Yes, it does seem circuitous, but those seem to be the plans. Don't shoot the messenger.

This route is 356 miles and the route via Nashville is 313 miles, so it's only 43 extra miles; enjoy the Appalachians!

Not shooting the messenger (Superman is bullet-proof :biggrin:) but the posted map itself says 465 miles/7h 16min. And using old fashioned addition, Chattanooga to Indy via Nashville is 422 miles. Same 43 mile difference. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Hopefully it will be done in time for my next trip to Chicago. Not really my favorite route to Chicago, but better than taking the ICE again. One advantage is the short distances between stations so that one can drive fast without range anxiety. How are the cops along that route ? (I can't use my Valentine 1 in the MS).

Is it not faster to go through Paducah to nashville? I know a lot of people who do that. MY parents have a restaurant in paducah off the interstate and they get tons of chicago to florida people.

This is the favorite route that I alluded to in post #17. I-24 from Chattanooga through Nashville and Paducah then up on I-57 to Chicago. It's mostly rural with low traffic density (for now) with 70 mph limits all the way, and the last city bottleneck one has to deal with when northbound is Nashville. What's the name of your parents' restaurant ?(in case I have to take the ICE again and stay overnight at Exits 3 or 4). Much better than I-65 through Louisville and Indy IMHO.

Is it not faster to go through Paducah to nashville? I know a lot of people who do that. MY parents have a restaurant in paducah off the interstate and they get tons of chicago to florida people.

Hey, that's my choice. As a 19-year old, I was a construction laborer (AFL-CIO!) that helped build I-24 just north of Paducah. I grew up in Metropolis, so I know that area well. Paducah or Metropolis seem to be on the 2016 map, so that route seems to be on the long term plan.

For the near term, it looks like Tesla has their eyes on the I-75 route...