Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over promise, under deliver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic, sort of, but from the article:

Imagine having your car check your calendar in the morning, calculate travel time to your first appointment based on real time traffic data, automatically open the garage door with Homelink, carefully back out of a tight garage, and pull up to your door ready for your commute. Of course, it could also warm or cool your car to your preferences and select your favorite morning news stream.

How did Tesla ever think that was possible? Last I checked the release of the charging cable is still very much a manual process. Ergo, the car can't back out of the garage by itself.

I'm affraid, I'm not going to get any new friends here with this, but I think it is time to talk about the elephant in the room.

http://jalopnik.com/what-will-tesla-and-elon-musk-over-promise-next-1672402636

I don't know why people think it's a problem. Tesla's always over-delivered. They've just never timely delivered. And that's okay. Good things come to those who wait.

I really did want the 400 mile battery pack by the end of this year -- but who cares? I hardly ever drive my Roadster more than 40 miles at a time anywhere anyway.

All that said, I thought about doing a point by point rebuttal-type critique of the article, but I discovered the CHAdeMO adapter is still not for sale on the site. I thought it "came out" a couple weeks ago. Whoops.

Let's be honest, if I set delivery expectations with my boss at work then slipped continually as Tesla does then I would be fired. It's not enough to deliver a great product.

I will say that announcing a product without a release date to generate excitement and publicity is a valid strategy ... if communicated correctly ...

Off topic, sort of, but from the article:

How did Tesla ever think that was possible? Last I checked the release of the charging cable is still very much a manual process. Ergo, the car can't back out of the garage by itself.

This is why at the D event Elon Musk thought out loud about having a mechanism that could plug your car in automatically.

Or as Nigel mentioned, use wireless charging and you don't have that problem. In fact, with automated parking you should get optimal wireless charging. Just don't expect your wireless charging to be fast.

It seems to me that the Rules of Trusting Tesla are:
(1) Trust that they are trying to deliver features on time, at the projected price
(2) Do not trust estimated timelines
(3) Do not trust estimated prices

The difficult gets done every day at Tesla. The impossible just takes a bit longer...

I thought it was the reverse. The impossible gets done, the difficult takes longer. Reason for this is that because everyone knows the impossible is impossible, there aren't any preconceived ideas that have to be excised before starting.

There is a very simple solution and I am sure some have chosen it. Simply vote with your wallet. As long as the company is supply constrained, they will have freedom to do as they like and communicate as poorly as engineers do (along with way underestimating the time it takes to deliver a completed product).

It is a poor example because Tesla is pretty much doing what they said they would, but PD deliveries have not gone as smooth as customers have wanted but, like the early deliveries with way longer waits and much longer delays, all is forgotten when the car arrives. Yes, it really is that good.

...It is a poor example because Tesla is pretty much doing what they said they would, but PD deliveries have not gone as smooth as customers have wanted but, like the early deliveries with way longer waits and much longer delays, all is forgotten when the car arrives. Yes, it really is that good.

But this isn't about a communication issue with P85D deliveries due to seat issues and port closures. Delivery dates of major products (Model S, Model X, probably Model 3) have continually slipped. What Tesla does is hard, and I'm a huge fan, but they need to get better at this.