Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Mouse Allows Kids in Back Seat to Control Music...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
I got this idea from Chickensevil's post in the "Successful connection on the Model S internal Ethernet network" thread when he posted this video:

When we go on road trips, my kids in the backseats are constantly telling me to go to the next song, another station, etc. When I watched this video it gave me the idea and I just tested it out with a USB mouse and it works! Now the mouse is staying in the car for the next road trip so that they can control the music from the backseats.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great idea! My kids drive me nuts - can I listen to such and such, all the time. Now I can concentrate on the road. Thanks!

I wonder if I can take this a step further and will try my wireless home theatre remote with keyboard and trackball. I'll let you know if it works
----
Update, trackball works on wireless home theatre remote but not keyboard. Well that's better than no control at all for the kids.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, would a phone or tablet connected via Bluetooth solve most of your concerns? Couple it with Spotify/google play music/Pandora/whatever, and anyone can control the music easily.

This assumes you have all your content available digitally of course, which isn't always true.

Out of curiosity, would a phone or tablet connected via Bluetooth solve most of your concerns? Couple it with Spotify/google play music/Pandora/whatever, and anyone can control the music easily.

This assumes you have all your content available digitally of course, which isn't always true.

I have my phone connected by bluetooth and I have tried to connect the kid's phones so they can play music (with my phone still connected for calls) but Tesla's bluetooth just doesn't work that way, or I don't know how to do it. Either way, I gave up.

Also, they each have 1gb of data per month (which they use up each month and I don't let them go over) so they'd rather use Tesla's data than their own for streaming songs not on their devices.

I have to wonder if the CD doesn't work because of the power draw for the drive. Therefore, does a powered CD-Rom work?
Apologies is this has been asked/answered already, I'm new here :)

If a USB Floppy drive is recognised by the system as a mass storage device (i.e. so the car can read mp3 files from it) then it's entirely possible that a CDROM or DVDROM drive would do the same.

But that would just allow you to use a CDROM full of MP3s in your car, it isn't the same as reading an actual audio CD which uses an entirely different protocol. So even if it does work it would be entirely pointless - a USB stick is cheaper, faster, more capacious, more robust, and more compact.

Probably right but weird that it does have the drivers for floppy disk support.

That is actually quite bizzare. My best guess would be that the floppy drive is emulating a generic USB mass storage device for compatibility with newer computers, while CD Drives (due to standards) show up quite differently to the operating system.

That is actually quite bizzare. My best guess would be that the floppy drive is emulating a generic USB mass storage device for compatibility with newer computers, while CD Drives (due to standards) show up quite differently to the operating system.
it may be the other way around in that USB a devices are emulating floppy drives sice floppy drives predate USB by a decade or two.

Or maybe the floppy driver is hard wired into the Linux kernel used by the Tesla.

Back on topic-
my kids love controlling the music with the mouse from the back seat!
If anyone ever needs any extra convincing that this is just a computer on wheels, the mouse seals the deal.

It's too bad the scroll wheel doesn't work.
Also, the kids' accuracy isn't great, so when trying to click around they often mis-click and start messing up the seat heaters or temperature, etc.
And one time they hit the no-sign too many times too fast and it kind of messed up slacker and we had to call Tesla to get them to reset the account (it was asking for a captcha to log in).

So, give the little overlords in the back a bit of control, but don't let them go crazy.