Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about my max range, given my current charge state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 85kWh battery and my car is currently charged to 92%. At that charge, I have 240 miles of rated range. As I understand it, this battery should have 265 miles of rated range at 100%. Would charging that last 8% really take my rated range to 265? The ratio seems off.

Very few Model S85 show as many as 265 Rated miles with a full Range charge, and then usually only when they're new. Many cars in use for a year or so show 250-255 rated miles at the end of a Range charge. It's just a fact of life when dealing with a battery pack that loses capacity slowly with both age and use.

When my P85 was new I saw 272 once on a range charge (firmware 4.x), a year and a few months later, and 49,000 miles, I see 251-256 on a range charge.

In the end, miles of range on the display don't matter because driving conditions are never the same. Some days I see 255 on my range charge but end up burning more wh/mi because of less traffic to be in line with (and therefor get a slight draft from), or there is a headwind, or whatever.

I'd only gripe if I don't get at least 72kwhr from my pack from 100% to charge now on the display. And, well I'm not going to push it that far every time to make sure I'm getting my capacity.

This is one reason I wish we had the option to display SoC on the center display instead of miles. I use the estimated miles display from the average on the energy usage graphs to really see my range.

Totally agree on the SOC display instead of miles. At least give the user the option to select how they want to calculate their capacity.

When my P85 was new I saw 272 once on a range charge (firmware 4.x), a year and a few months later, and 49,000 miles, I see 251-256 on a range charge.

In the end, miles of range on the display don't matter because driving conditions are never the same. Some days I see 255 on my range charge but end up burning more wh/mi because of less traffic to be in line with (and therefor get a slight draft from), or there is a headwind, or whatever.

I'd only gripe if I don't get at least 72kwhr from my pack from 100% to charge now on the display. And, well I'm not going to push it that far every time to make sure I'm getting my capacity.

This is one reason I wish we had the option to display SoC on the center display instead of miles. I use the estimated miles display from the average on the energy usage graphs to really see my range.

And miss out on all the fun discovering that 0 miles means ZERO?

> I use the estimated miles display from the average on the energy usage graphs to really see my range. [rdrcrmatt]

Isn't that the same if you chose rated miles for the main display?
--

Very few Model S85 show as many as 265 Rated miles with a full Range charge, and then usually only when they're new. Many cars in use for a year or so show 250-255 rated miles at the end of a Range charge. It's just a fact of life when dealing with a battery pack that loses capacity slowly with both age and use.
It may be related to how much mileage you have on the car:
chargingto265.JPG

A year in, I've only got ~12k miles.

In the end, miles of range on the display don't matter because driving conditions are never the same.
This+
Also, this+

No, the range displayed in the center of the dash is based on "ideal" vs "rated" range. ideal is 275wh/mi, rated is 300wh/mi, and what I use, the average on the energy usage graph shows me an estimated range based on the actual wh/mi consumed over the past 5, 15 or 30 miles.

Actually, if you expect to achieve the rated or ideal range by the time you hit zero, then you need to use about 255 Wh/mi for ideal and 285 Wh/mi for rated range. The numbers you suggest will require you to drive the car until it physically stops moving to achieve the indicated range. That is not practical for most situations.

It doesn't mean that people are going to drive to 0 every time. For me, it's just more useful to have a combination of battery % and projected range. It's mainly personal, but just having a battery percentage doesn't mean i'll drive to 0.

Rated miles is similar, but instead of using 100% i just have to do a little math to figure out the percentage based off of rated range remaining.

And miss out on all the fun discovering that 0 miles means ZERO?

> I use the estimated miles display from the average on the energy usage graphs to really see my range. [rdrcrmatt]

Isn't that the same if you chose rated miles for the main display?
--

I have an 85kWh battery and my car is currently charged to 92%. At that charge, I have 240 miles of rated range. As I understand it, this battery should have 265 miles of rated range at 100%. Would charging that last 8% really take my rated range to 265? The ratio seems off.

92% of 265 miles is 243 miles. If you do a full range charge and let it balance out I expect you will be very close to 265.

I just don't these measurements are very exact and I think it is a mistake to expect them to be. When you have a quarter of a tank in car that holds 20 gallons, do you expect that to be 5.00 gallons? There are 7000 batteries in the car. I really don't think one should expect a truly accurate measurement of charge or range. It's best to give yourself a good cushion, control your speed, and not try to be too fine.

I'm not sure this is the right thread or not, and don't intend to hijack the thread, but my biggest "typical" number was 394 km or 246 miles. Did three range charges since I received the car in September. BTW Japanese cars have Rated, which is based on 275Wh/mile, and Typical, based on 300Wh/mile.

Isn't this a bad battery? Should I be concerned? I have about 5000 miles on my odometer.

d826f478a81de7eac982c12e0fc5163a.jpg

I believe this is related to the ambient temperature. When Tesla released it's last major software update, it included a new algorithm that takes the ambient temperature into account when computing the Rated Range. Chances are, your battery has as much capacity as ever, but the car knows that it won't take you as far in the cooler weather (due to heating of the interior & the battery itself). Here in Vermont, I get ~250-255 miles on a 100% charge this time of year.