Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main pack connectors not closing fully

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went through an issue with my 12v battery (see Stranded at Snowbowl). While the car was at the service center they pulled out the main pack because the connectors were not opening and closing fully. This was explained to me that the main current carry connectors open and close when the car is on/off and they can get so hot they don't operate correctly.

The service center fixed the issue and all is well, but can anyone explain these more, how they work, etc? I'm just curious.

Interestingly, after the repair my car has several more miles of rated range at full charge.

I recently went through an issue with my 12v battery (see Stranded at Snowbowl). While the car was at the service center they pulled out the main pack because the connectors were not opening and closing fully. This was explained to me that the main current carry connectors open and close when the car is on/off and they can get so hot they don't operate correctly.

The service center fixed the issue and all is well, but can anyone explain these more, how they work, etc? I'm just curious.

Interestingly, after the repair my car has several more miles of rated range at full charge.

The contactors are like a giant relay that connects the high voltage only when the car is in operation, or charging, for safety reasons.

Most likely, the extra rated range is because the battery was disconnected and reconnected, so the car is back in a recalibration phase, so the actual capacity likely stayed the same, so it may have either been reading too low before, or it may be too high now.

Was this repair done entirely at the SC? You kept your same battery pack, it was just serviced?

My pack was serviced at the service center (Scottsdale). They told me not all SCs are certified for this work, and other ones would need to send the pack back to the factory.

The car definitely feels peppier.. probably just my imagination though. :)

This is interesting. I thought that the SC's always sent packs that had contactor issues back to the factory. Looking at Inside the Battery Pack, it looks like one has to peel off the metal cover to get to them. I wonder if newer packs have an easier pathway for access?