Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger km/h in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@lx3h, don't know if it's related to dual chargers
@3fiftynine, 330km/h was the max I could see during the whole process, starting at about 45% SOC

The Tesla Superchargers actually bypasses the onboard chargers in the Model S and charges directly using DC, so the dual chargers in the Model S isn't used. The dual chargers only come into play for AC charging. However, to fully utilize dual chargers, the AC charging outlet must provide 3-phase 32A which is limited in Hong Kong unless you installed it on purpose ie. through electrician in your own independent house.

The standard dual mode CLP chargers you see around town are only single phase 32A, which won't make a difference whether you have single charger or dual charger. However, if you use their semi-quick charging, that will be 3-phase 32A and you'll benefit using the on-board Dual Chargers.

That is the main reason why I opt out of getting dual charger. I plan to mainly use SCs to charge and also I'm sure my apartment building management won't let me draw up so much power by installing a 3-phase 32A line.

A link for further info:
https://www.clponline.com.hk/ev/Pages/ChargingSystem_ChargingMethods.aspx

Last edited:
I have gotten up to 550 km/h at Kai Tak, when there is no car next to me in the "sister bay", as 1A/1B, 2A/2B and so on, each share one supply unit.

The superchargers are made with modules, and if one fails, it still works but a reduced rate. Maybe some modules are burnt out now? In the beginning it was slower, then higher - maybe back to slow again?

Regarding dual chargers: If you charge at a 32A/3 phase and you pay pr hour of charging, you will loose out big time not just how long time you have to wait, but also how long the charging time is. EVLink has these, and they will come soon. Where I live there are coming 40A single phase chargers right now, but they will also be upgraded to 32A/3P soon.

I am happy I got dual chargers, as it costs 2.5X times the initial price if you wait and order it later.

The Tesla Superchargers actually bypasses the onboard chargers in the Model S and charges directly using DC, so the dual chargers in the Model S isn't used. The dual chargers only come into play for AC charging. However, to fully utilize dual chargers, the AC charging outlet must provide 3-phase 32A which is limited in Hong Kong unless you installed it on purpose ie. through electrician in your own independent house.

The standard dual mode CLP chargers you see around town are only single phase 32A, which won't make a difference whether you have single charger or dual charger. However, if you use their semi-quick charging, that will be 3-phase 32A and you'll benefit using the on-board Dual Chargers.

That is the main reason why I opt out of getting dual charger. I plan to mainly use SCs to charge and also I'm sure my apartment building management won't let me draw up so much power by installing a 3-phase 32A line.

A link for further info:
https://www.clponline.com.hk/ev/Pages/ChargingSystem_ChargingMethods.aspx

Please see here: Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

You are correct that supercharging bypasses the on-car chargers (so single or dual chargers are irrelevant to supercharging). But, regarding AC charging:

Public single phase charging is limited to 16A on a single charger equipped Model S. You can only get 32A/40A, with a single charger in the car, if the EVSE has been specifically modified to work with the HK Model S.

Dual chargers in the car allow up to 32A from single phase public EVSE (IEC 62196 standard). Dual chargers will also allow up to 80A from either single or three phase Tesla High Power Wall Connectors (when released, scheduled 2015Q1).

I think there is a max power limit for all SC's at one location, i.e. charging power is shared among connected cars. Only Tesla knows what's the logic behind as to how this sharing is done. I charged at kai Tak today initial rate was only 183km/hr which is far less than my previous experience because there were already 2 other cars connected. The charge rate was later boosted up to 4xxkm/hr when 2 other cars have gone.

This is perhaps Tesla's difficulty when negotiating SC stations in private property!

I think there is a max power limit for all SC's at one location, i.e. charging power is shared among connected cars. Only Tesla knows what's the logic behind as to how this sharing is done. I charged at kai Tak today initial rate was only 183km/hr which is far less than my previous experience because there were already 2 other cars connected. The charge rate was later boosted up to 4xxkm/hr when 2 other cars have gone.

This is perhaps Tesla's difficulty when negotiating SC stations in private property!

Each supercharger comes in pairs of two, normally labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc. Each pair of A and B goes to the same supercharger rack (size of a very large fridge). Inside each of these "fridges" are a modular set of power units. Some units can fail and be missing, and the others will still run, but the total power will be less. In the beginning, Kai Tak wasn't giving full power, then TM technicians came to repair it, and it was giving up to 560 km/h for the initial charge (highest I have seen). If some of these units have failed again, that would explain the lower rates.

If two cars are charging in 4 spots, be sure to position one car in either 1A or 1B, and the other car in either 2A or 2B. This will even out the load and give higher charging.

To recap:

Charging rate is limited by

- The amount of functional units in each supercharger
- The cooling capability of each supercharger (you can hear the fans running)
- The backbone supply from the grid
- The temperature of the car battery pack
- The charging level of the battery (Initially fast, then it gets slower and slower).

Good solution for Kai Tak:

1) Charge to nearly full
2) Go to Megabox, park in the basement (insist on it, say you have an electric car)
3) Charge the last bit at 9 km/h with a BS1363 adapter (not included, 3700 HKD from Tesla Motors)
4) Eat at Ikea restaurant, shop at Aeon or Ikea or other shops

Good solution in Kwai Chung Estate, if you are on the Tsuen Wan side of Kowloon and don't want to fight traffic:

1) Park for free for two hours (remember to print receipt)
2) Eat and shop at the shopping mall
3) Takes you about 3 to 3 1/2 hours for a full charge (85 kWh battery)