Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging between Billings and Rapid City superchargers - help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Hey everyone..

It looks like I may be doing a crazy last minute cross-country drive in my new P85D, Seattle to DC. Has anyone driven between Billings and Rapid City superchargers? It's going to require at least one intermediate charge.

Distance316.5 miles
Driving Time5:04
Total Energy Used101.7 kWh
339 RM
Average Efficiency321 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change134 feet
I'm just starting my research, but I thought I would post here. I've got dual chargers, so an 80A HPWC would be great, but I'll take a KOA with lodging, hotels, etc..

Thanks,
Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

Found this on plugshare:

Wayside RV Park

PlugScore

Ports
Nema 14-50

Address
19 Talcott Road Broadus, Mt 59317

Phone
(406) 436-2510

Cost
Just discovering EVs, typically $5 for a charge

Description
Quiet RV Park on the prairie. Good spot to charge when taking US 212 to go between Billings and Rapid City. Call ahead, limited spaces with 50A.

I PM'd them. I wonder what it would cost to get a flatbed tow truck to take me half way? Speed is important on this trip.

My plan would be to find an overnight charge in Sheridan or Gillette and figure a slow, mileage-efficient drive on the long leg with a mid-leg top up. Charging while you sleep is is not as boring...one longish leg with a top up is not too bad either.

Sheridan and Gillette Superchargers are really needed!

Hi Andrew I see your plans have changed. I did get a call back from Wayside RV Park in Broadus. They said that they do have 2 cabins available for $85 each and then $10 for a charge. I guess they are learning the ropes and are charging more than they used to. It is good to know that this Montana RV Park is one that apparently does not totally close for the winter. They prettyu much are the Ion Oasis for the stretch of MT and Wy until we Get Superchargers in Gillette and Sheridan, WY.

Hi Andrew I see your plans have changed. I did get a call back from Wayside RV Park in Broadus. They said that they do have 2 cabins available for $85 each and then $10 for a charge. I guess they are learning the ropes and are charging more than they used to. It is good to know that this Montana RV Park is one that apparently does not totally close for the winter. They prettyu much are the Ion Oasis for the stretch of MT and Wy until we Get Superchargers in Gillette and Sheridan, WY.

What's holding up the SCs? Limited number of viable locations?

Ok if you are going to overnight; it's practically useless to ask if they have a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

Instead ask them if they have a 220 volt dryer outlet that you can use. I.E. make sure the dryer is not running on natural gas and plugged into a 110 outlet.

Construct an adapter to use a dryer outlet and set the charge rate accordingly.

You might look for a bed and breakfast that can let you park the car within 25 feet of the dryer outlet (assume the adapter is five feet long and you can snake it out the window).

I once rolled into Missoula MT with 26 miles remaining and plugged into a dryer outlet at a local hotel for 14 hours before continuing on my way.

Had yet another change of plan, and will no longer be making this trip. Thanks to all for suggestions. And having looked at this route, I agree SCs are needed in Sheridan and Gillette.

The newly revised Supercharger maps now show Sheridan as 'Coming Soon', i.e. not in 2014 (or, as some would say, Not Soon Enough); Gillette, unfortunately, has been relegated to the 2015 map (aka, Not Soon At All). Bummer...

The newly revised Supercharger maps now show Sheridan as 'Coming Soon', i.e. not in 2014 (or, as some would say, Not Soon Enough); Gillette, unfortunately, has been relegated to the 2015 map (aka, Not Soon At All). Bummer...

This is unfortunate, given how close Tesla is to connecting the SC network on both sides. It's almost like... Having built an entire car only to be held back by one part. A seat, for example :)

Much as I hate to say it, it seems that the last few months have been indicating an expansion of the factory's own network . . . Bay area and LA to the Gigafactory, and from there to the East/West connection at Salt Lake City, at the expense of the rest of the Northwest. I was told in October that an important priority for the team was the link between Vancouver/Seattle and Rapid City, offered as the reason that the Seattle to Boise/Salt Lake was on hold. If I'm correct, it's a real disappointment to those of us here who want to travel anywhere East of the Rockies.

The Broadus RV Park in Montana is not shown on Plug Share so I just plugged it in. It looks like it's the best bet between Rapid City and Billings.

Funny, I thought I had added it! I have used this RV Park four times last year, doing this shortcut across the supercharger gap. As I had mentioned before, that road is so nice, quiet and so much shorter, if there was an HPWC in Broadus, I would probably STILL go that way even when the Sheridan and Gillette superchargers eventually appear.

Funny, I thought I had added it! I have used this RV Park four times last year, doing this shortcut across the supercharger gap. As I had mentioned before, that road is so nice, quiet and so much shorter, if there was an HPWC in Broadus, I would probably STILL go that way even when the Sheridan and Gillette superchargers eventually appear.

Perhaps tesla should see if the RV park would host an SC. Best of both worlds.