Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging new Model S with all wheel drive option.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read from a local car journalist here in Montreal that his new P85D takes more time in charging because of the all wheel drive option. Can someone explain to me why? I ordered a Model S with all wheel drive and I'll be using a Levitron 240 Volt 40 AMP charger, any ideas at what rate I'll be able to charge the car?

Just ignore the journalist's BS.

it is not bs ... the journalist is an owner. you could always read the article and then decide for yourself however ...

the part that the OP is talking about is the following (taken from
http://roulezelectrique.com/au-volant-de-la-testa-p85d-la-vitesse-securise/):

Tout cela évidemment n’est pas gratuit, et la présence d’un second moteur à alimenter avec un groupe de batteries similaires à celles précédemment utilisées en augmente le prix. Après une nuit de recharge sur ma borne 240, j’ai recueilli 347 km d’autonomie alors que ma Tesla P85 arrivait à m’en offrir 387, soit une perte de 40 km, ce qui fâche un peu.

which roughly translates to him saying that a night of charging only gave him 347 km instead of 387 km that he used to get with his old p85. He does not give any more details than that so we have nothing really to go on to understand/validate his claim.

First guess would be around the range estimate being influenced by the usage history which would be skewed by his test runs.

it is not bs ... the journalist is an owner. you could always read the article and then decide for yourself however ...

which roughly translates to him saying that a night of charging only gave him 347 km instead of 387 km that he used to get with his old p85. He does not give any more details than that so we have nothing really to go on to understand/validate his claim.

First guess would be around the range estimate being influenced by the usage history which would be skewed by his test runs.

This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with charging. It's just that at a standard 90% charge, the car has changed the rated range display to show 10% lower. Same charge time, same available energy, May ie may not relate to a change in actual range/efficiency - currently it is just a programming change by Tesla.
Walter

That's not at all how it translates.... A correct translation is: "After a night of recharging at 240V I received 347 km of autonomy while my Tesla P85 would give me 387. or a net loss of 40 km...".

This does not mean it charges slower (or OPs question that it takes more time to charge), but rather rated range is less, in line with the known reduction in EPA rated range.

The journalist is a respected writer, accomplished former race-car driver, and between two Model S cars (sold his P85 and reserved a 85D). However, he doesn't necessarily pay attention to the charging settings.

From what I've gathered, his P85 was set to charge to 90%. I have no idea what the P85D was set to, nor how its apparently beta software displays range.

There's nothing to worry about.

It has nothing to do with charging. It is because the full range on the P85D is 242 miles, not 265 miles

In fact the journalist didn't say anything about charging slower, and really said he never get the same range as is previous Tesla.

If the charge limit was set differently on both car, it make sense, as long as he is not comparing full charge, it doesn't make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I just read from a local car journalist here in Montreal that his new P85D takes more time in charging because of the all wheel drive option. Can someone explain to me why? I ordered a Model S with all wheel drive and I'll be using a Levitron 240 Volt 40 AMP charger, any ideas at what rate I'll be able to charge the car?

You'll charge 10 kW each hour, which is about 50 km/h, and about 8 hours from 0 to full charge.

Last edited:
How can it takes 10 h to put about 75 kWh (let say 80 kWh) at a rate of 10 kW? you have about 20% of inneficiency for your charger, that's a lot.
I agree that the rate is less at the end, so it may be around 9 h... however it's not often that you arrive at home with 0 distance left, and you want to leave with 100%
The efficiency of going from AC to DC with the Model S is about 85%. It takes right at 100kwh to fill the battery from empty. You are right, there are very few times one will go from zero to full.

Since the rated range of the P85D is lower than that of the P85 then he is entirely correct that his charging rate, measured in mph, is lower in the P85D.

And that is why mph is a really confusing, unhelpful measure of charging speed if you ever want to compare vehicles or share information on a forum like this. It depends on variant, battery size, the user's settings (rated / typical / ideal mileage) and the country the car is in.

The comment in the original article is undoubtedly about range and not charging speed. Also just noting for the OP that ambient temperature may affect your total charge time if, like the pictures in the article, you're charging while parked outside in the snow - the car may use power to keep the battery temp stable while you charge.