Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The average mileage with single charge of 85kw in HK ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are not supposed to charge to 100% every day, but just when you really need the total range.

I get following typical ranges:
charge to 80% 316km
charge to 90% 353km

When the car estimates the range, it doesn't know if you will drive aggressive, smooth, uphill, downhill etc.
Therefore the range is just an estimate.

Energy consumption is average 260wh/km on my car and heard from friends I know.

If you charge it to 100% , you can drive 85 ÷ 0.26 = 326.9km

If u drive lots of highway, you consumption will be lower, like 220wh/km.

As Vmax said it's like ICE driving style (+weather conditions) determines your range. I don't have home charging and I need to plan carefully how I use it and tracking consumption closely. Best so far after 10 days I have around 270km (actual distance traveled) between charges. I charge it to 95% (typical range displayed 374k) and must arrive in a SC with 40~50k left. Obviously you won't be able to squeeze the last drop of juice but if I risk it perhaps I could do around 310~320k (inline with what sonywong said above). I do 80% highway (as good as 190Wh/k) but with hills at both home/work ends (300+Wh/k) and I don't drive aggressively (seldom hit the brake).

I found going uphill costs you a lot and coming back down doesn't return much. To conserve energy never floor the pedal when going uphill.

The problem is the use of the words 'average' and 'single charge'.

One person's average may be very different than another's, depending on how and where you drive. For example, my wife gets 260Wh/km, and I get 205Wh/km, in the same car. We drive differently, and in different places.

Last Sunday, 14 Model S cars drove around Hong Kong. There were 60kWh cars, 85kWh cars, and P85 cars. We tracked energy consumption, and the winners averaged 171Wh/km, vs 212Wh/km for the worst. It is all about how you speed up, how you slow down, and how fast you go. On that rally, I drove close to 200km that day, and used about half the battery available capacity (pretty much the same as my roadster, 4 years earlier).

A single charge is hard, because even with a 85kWh battery, you don't have the full 85kWh available to you. Just like the reserve in a petrol tank, the car reserves some space for emergencies and to maximise the battery lifetime. People often choose to charge to perhaps 90%, to further help the lifetime.

Now, using the more accurate term 'ballpark', I would say between 300km and 400km average, on a single charge :wink:

I have to drive a lot of uphills everyday, and it is indeed punishing on the Wh/km usage. Look at this, i was NOT driving aggressively at all,
IMG_2545.JPG

Tony the answer is no. It will reduce in range and as long as it's not dramatic it's not under warranty. There is a long thread in reduced rates range on the main forum that I suggest you read.

I am averaging about 210wh/Km so far and that is about 400km typical range.

Ok, I just drove from Hopewell (after SC'ed) to the Peak, all the way to Peak Galleria area.
I drove pretty politely but not bore myself to death.
And this is what the Wh/km looks like. Look at the 'Since Last Charge'
Note Trip A is my average since Sat (when I picked up the car)

201412162303-006.jpg

I don't know if this is crazy or not. I charged to 90% today at Lee Gardens and I drove back home (Tai Hang) and burned 6% battery on a 5mins drive. Now I went uphill, but the drain seems pretty harsh.

I've had the car for around a week now. I haven't gone lower than 35% before charging, but even at 35% from 90%, I got around 130km. With that type of usage, I don't think I can get over 200km on a 90% charge. I'm not driving particularly aggressive.

What are the numbers are you guys getting? Particularly those who live in HK Island side.

Driving up hills is always going to be brutal, either in an EV or petrol fueled car.

I plugged wslam's peak trip into evtripplanner:

EV Trip Planner

and got out about 3.3kWh. wslam got about 30% higher consumption than that.

Lee Gardens to Tai Hang is such a short trip (2.5km), I don't think much can be extrapolated from that.

I live in Sai Kung and do long stretches on the freeways. I drive to enjoy myself and get 170Wh/km without aircon on and about 185 with it on. This is very close to the usage to get the rated range. No major hills mind you.

Having said that I drove to the peak and back a while ago and got an average of 190.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is crazy or not. I charged to 90% today at Lee Gardens and I drove back home (Tai Hang) and burned 6% battery on a 5mins drive. Now I went uphill, but the drain seems pretty harsh.

I've had the car for around a week now. I haven't gone lower than 35% before charging, but even at 35% from 90%, I got around 130km. With that type of usage, I don't think I can get over 200km on a 90% charge. I'm not driving particularly aggressive.

What are the numbers are you guys getting? Particularly those who live in HK Island side.

Lee Gardens/Hopewell are the usual SC I go charging which is 2.5k and 5k away from my place (Tai Hang) respectively. My average, over 6,000km+, energy consumption is showing 203Wh/km. I need to drive 80k back/forth for work everyday mostly highway. Best I have done so far is about 320km and could get down to 350km if I risk further. I reset the counter every time I SC'ed and destination charging is a good way to avoid waiting at SC, i.e. charge whenever charging facility is available at your destination (public parking).

IMHO ICE/EV are the same, going uphill isn't efficient. For the lucky (unlucky if you don't have home charging) ones on the Island we are surrounded by SC at Lee Garden/Hopewell/Cyberport and Repulse Bay I have no doubts that you could maximize your range without anxiety. I have used it down to 6% before charge. My odometer is showing 9,000k+ now.

Lee Gardens/Hopewell are the usual SC I go charging which is 2.5k and 5k away from my place (Tai Hang) respectively. My average, over 6,000km+, energy consumption is showing 203Wh/km. I need to drive 80k back/forth for work everyday mostly highway. Best I have done so far is about 320km and could get down to 350km if I risk further. I reset the counter every time I SC'ed and destination charging is a good way to avoid waiting at SC, i.e. charge whenever charging facility is available at your destination (public parking).

IMHO ICE/EV are the same, going uphill isn't efficient. For the lucky (unlucky if you don't have home charging) ones on the Island we are surrounded by SC at Lee Garden/Hopewell/Cyberport and Repulse Bay I have no doubts that you could maximize your range without anxiety. I have used it down to 6% before charge. My odometer is showing 9,000k+ now.

I generally charged my MS battery (P85+) to 80% full, which I get about 350km of rated range, and when I do 100% charging occasionally, I get around 390km of rated range.

I'm living in the HK side with regular up and down hills driving, so my approx. effective range is around 200-250km for 80% charged. I usually recharged when I was down to 50-100km of rated range

I also drove to NT, airport, a few times, and I get slightly more than the rated range on the highway (say using up 40km of rated range for 50km of actual driving, which may be explained by that from my house to the highway are mostly downhill...). This was done with mostly cruising normally and overtaking every now and then.

The key is really about maintaining a constant speed, I can cruise on the highway at 80-120km/h without barely touching the pedal. I once read that a couple of US MS drivers did around 600km on one single charge on the highway (think it's a 85). And for HK mixed cycle driving, I'd say you're doing well if you can get 250km+ of range at 80% charge for a 85 driver.