Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Channelview, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SW2Fiddler

We Are Cognitive Dissidents
Mar 19, 2014
Houston TX
...As part of the Interstate 10 Texas - Louisiana - Alabama - Florida Supercharger Highway. Now that Lake Charles is almost complete and Baton Rouge is getting started.
Will have the thread title changed when there's sufficient evidence to commit to a town name.

Why "Interstate 10 and 94.9 West?" The Longitude given is halfway between the I-10 exits for the Columbus, TX and Lake Charles, LA Superchargers. Beaumont is generally regarded as too far from the Columbus SC and therefore Baytown, or Mont Belvieu, or Winnie, offer better candidates.

One popular site is the San Jacinto Mall. Post your own desires here and remember, it's downright irresponsible NOT to speculate!

I am close enough to make photo reconnaissance runs whenever it'll help.

Rick

- - - Updated - - -

It's not all that likely to be here, but I enjoy the restaurant chain: Baytown Seafood, next to a Sonic, at the intersection of 146 and I-10.
Convenient to where the 99 "Grand Parkway" crosses I-10.

Several hotels are nearby, may make better partners but sometimes we've seen existing parking get too dear at hotels. Here there'd apparently need to be pavement poured but that creates new parking spots, eh?

BaytownSeafood_1.jpg

Attachments

• BaytownSeafood.jpg
    BaytownSeafood.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:
Still nothing near here on the new 2015 supercharger map. There is a large void of 215 miles between Columbus, TX and Lake Charles, LA. Actually it's not a void, it's the Houston metro area with 6.1 million people, the fifth largest metro area in the U.S., and ZERO superchargers.

it's the Houston metro area with 6.1 million people, the fifth largest metro area in the U.S., and ZERO superchargers.
If I may presume to speak for the 6 million, *we* don't need it for ourselves - a home charge gets us to Lake Charles, and 120 rated miles gets us to Columbus even with the most "spirited" driving style. So citing population size doesn't help that much with the sales pitch.
It's an I-10 enabler, absolutely necessary to get from the Hill Country or beyond, to Louisiana or back without enduring L2-charging time sink.

Now, a SC on I-45 between Houston and Galveston, THAT would help this major metro area (and those coming from beyond Houston).

There are an HPWC in Houston at the Galleria store but not exactly road trip material for sure

That HPWC got me home (SW Houston) after a round trip to Lake Charles to stalk the SC construction site. ~2AM. Had 20 mi. range buffer until I was detoured off of I-10 for roadwork!
Thankfully the HPWC was not plugged in to a demo Model S that night.
The next recon trip, I stayed 1.5 extra hours at McDonald's to increase the safety buffer before heading back to Texas.

I will visit Baytown Buc-Ees and Wal-Mart to scope out more possible SC locations.
I still like San Jac Mall or Baytown Seafood the most.

If I may presume to speak for the 6 million, *we* don't need it for ourselves - a home charge gets us to Lake Charles, and 120 rated miles gets us to Columbus even with the most "spirited" driving style. So citing population size doesn't help that much with the sales pitch.
It's an I-10 enabler, absolutely necessary to get from the Hill Country or beyond, to Louisiana or back without enduring L2-charging time sink.

Now, a SC on I-45 between Houston and Galveston, THAT would help this major metro area (and those coming from beyond Houston).
It depends on where in the Houston metro area you're coming from, and if you have a 85 or a 60. I wouldn't attempt it from west Houston to Lake Charles in a 60.

I just think if this 6 million population metro area was in California, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

There are an HPWC in Houston at the Galleria store but not exactly road trip material for sure

It's 150 miles from the Galleria to Lake Charles. That's tight in a 60, especially as the speed limit is 75mph once you get past the Houston area.

Yes I would think the Garth Rd. exit would be ideal. In particular I would think (lat:29.803375, lon:-94.981836) would be great near Johnny Carino's on the Mall side. If that's closed then McDonald's is across the street as is Outback. Where is that Super Charger location suggestion web form?

As I posted on the Texas Supercharger sticky, I emailed the supercharger team expressing the disappointment in Austin that the new 2015 map still does not show a supercharger east of Houston to allow easy access to string of superchargers further east on I-10. I just got the generic reply about how they choose sites using precise energy modeling, etc. It doesn't sound like they plan to fill this hole anytime soon.

I know it would not be ideal, but as a stop gap measure if Tesla would install a couple of supercharger stalls at the Westchase Service Center that would be 155 miles to the Lake Charles supercharger. Couldn't one make that in a 60 kWh S?

I've made the trip from Lake Charles to Columbus, TX in my 85 on a range charge with about 35 miles to spare. Admittedly, conservative driving.

I know it would not be ideal, but as a stop gap measure if Tesla would install a couple of supercharger stalls at the Westchase Service Center that would be 155 miles to the Lake Charles supercharger. Couldn't one make that in a 60 kWh S?

I've made the trip from Lake Charles to Columbus, TX in my 85 on a range charge with about 35 miles to spare. Admittedly, conservative driving.

The problem is that Tesla needs a 350 Amp, 3-phase, 208 Volt breaker for a single 90 kW Supercharger Cabinet, or a 225 Amp, 3-phase, 480 Volt breaker for a 135 kW cabinet. Either of those can be a very significant electrical service upgrade at a Tesla Service Center.

Great idea for the permanent service center (whether there at Westchase or elsewhere. It could be said that they've already outgrown the Westchase location).
I haven't lost a childlike hope that Santa Tesla (would that be St. Nic?) will put a stealth Channelview or Mont Belvieu Supercharger in my stocking. And a stealth Webster site under the tree...

The first picture didn't look like much, but when you posted it upside down I can definitely see it now! LOL

You and I may have passed each other somewhere on the Houston interstate system - I went by exit 798 (Hwy 146) going west about 8 AM and then again going east about Noon. You see any black Model Ss?

Mike

Buc-Ee's
Just to the West of San Jacinto Mall
View attachment 67307View attachment 67308

Dry Ice!
View attachment 67309

Easy on, easy off, great bathrooms, probably petro-friendly but has anyone asked Beaver his stance on EVs?
Many moons ago, we had convinced ourselves (possibly with the help of some people from Tesla "in the know") that the Buc-ees in Madisonville would be a SC location. Shame that didn't work out. I still stop there to stock up on beaver nuggets before recharging at the nasty Huntsville SC.