Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proactive Contactor Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certain SvC are equipped for this. roblab had extensive work completed on his Sig A pack the last time he took it in. It was all completed in a little over 24 hours so there was no time to ship it to Fremont.
he is pretty close to Fremont, San Rafael / Fremont are similar distances from Napa

I had a new power switch put in my car.

item says:
s3 pack cntctr/ srvc field kit

I don't think it is the main pack contactor but my car wouldn't start or take a 12v charge through the jump posts.
this was the problem. they have a new power switch version (+many, many other parts too)
this may be it?

I would have loved a proactive replacement but instead Tesla covered 500mi of towing! ouch.

Last edited:
Has anyone else been notified of a proactive contactor replacement? Mine is scheduled for January, even though I've experienced no problems.

First I've read of it, but I'll be interested to hear more. It suggests to me that Tesla's identified a group/lot of marginal parts which are responsible for the side of the road/battery replacement incidents.
Walter

Last edited:
Addressing the responses in rough order...

I haven't check my battery pack label, but it is capable of 115+ kW supercharging, so it's at least a "B".

This work will be done at the new Cleveland, OH, service center. They called me and said that they'd have to remove the battery pack to replace the "switch". I asked if it were the contactor and he said yes, but it is certainly possible that it's another switch.

Zextraterrestrial's description is consistent with the info I've received so far.

I'll know more in a month, after the service is complete.

Would be interested in more detailed information on the surgery once it's done. What specific parts were replaced, what was indicating a problem, etc.

Regarding battery repairs in the field, I know the Milford, CT SC does battery work (not just swaps) but I don't know precisely to what extent. They certainly crack them open ...

Recently Tesla did say they have started training service centers to service the packs, because sending them all back to Fremont isn't going to be viable as volume grows.

That's the best news I've heard in a while. It's such a waste of resources to constantly send pack back to CA and have the service centers be in the dark in terms of servicing the internals of the pack.

Update from the service advisor: yes, they are replacing/upgrading the contactors, also described as "the power switch", in cars like mine identified by specific VINs (I didn't ask for the list). There are no cautions required in the meantime: I can just drive the car as usual. Still, I'll probably try to baby it a bit.

As far as the service goes, they can replace the contactors at the service center but if they find other problems that will take longer to fix, they have the option of installing a loaner battery to get my car back on the road.

I am in the same boat at AoneOne. They actually notified me back in August for the contactor replacement but I just waited until it's annual service this week to have it all done at the same time. My SA said the same regarding the pack - they can replace the contactors in-house but if more needs to be done they'll give us a loaner pack and ship it to Fremont.

I got a notification about a week ago too. All they initially said was that it was "non-safety related proactive campaign for a part replacement"; when I asked for details, they said they will "upgrade any switch and power supply components" that would "benefit from the latest generation part". Switches and power supplies could be in many places, but they did also ask me to have the SOC below 30%, so inside the battery seems likely.

They have me scheduled in next week. Of course they'll valet me a loaner and do a courtesy inspection, so heck why not let them upgrade any possibly-troublesome parts.

Today I received notice from my SC in Bellevue, WA to bring my car in. Here's what my Service Advisor said:

"Engineering has identified your car as potentially benefitting from a switch and power supply update. The technicians will evaluate your high-voltage system and determine whether it would benefit from having the latest generation power switches installed. If they determine that it would, we will perform the installation. Since the techs will be working with the battery pack, please try (if at all possible) to have fewer than 100 miles of range on the car when it comes in for service."

I have a P85+, with B-battery, delivered 9/1/13. I'm assuming this means they have solved at least one of the battery failure problems we've been seeing lately, and can retrofit my pack at the SC instead of shipping it to CA. I'm pleased. Even after 13K miles, and 15 months of ownership, I'm getting 232 miles per "regular" charge, and 260 for a range charge. I like my battery. :)

They even asked if there was anything they could correct while the car was there for servicing. I mentioned some slight wind noise at 65mph in the pano roof near the passenger-side backseat, and they will take a look.

Keeping the SOC low means less work for the technicians as they don't have to drain the battery as much before service. Not sure why they require a low battery but maybe it makes other tests easier.

Just had the update performed. The low charge is for safety reasons since the battery pack is opened for the update from what my rep told me. I don't notice a difference with the charging or anything but at least I got a free car wash, loaner and valet service out of it. I didn't even notice my car was gone for 2 days! Great service!