Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17" Info- / Touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the way I see it without any sure sign either way is that they put so much design work into that 17'' and NO design work into a design without that screen they NEED that screen. They don't have any buttons to replace it with, and that's sort of the whole point.

The fact that all of this is software controlled also means it's much easier to build into their remote control app.

If this seems to be hard to do I can see them using a smaller screen or a bigger screen for that matter. But a in car terms big screen to software controll all HVAC etc functions is going to be a central theme of the Model S. Or so I believe anyway.

Cobos

Oh, thanks for that. It answers some more questions I had like durability of the touch screen in an automotive environment. They see it as just a questions of choosing the right back lights, filter, polarizers and stuff and are pretty confident they can make it. Apparently, they've also look at other options like iDrive (BMW) style knobs but didn't like it. If I understood it correctly, they call the simplified GUI design for media interaction JFM. Just f#cking Music.

Last edited:
Here's another vision of in-car touchscreen with customizable layout and apps. Maybe Tesla will incorporate some of these ideas. From NY Times wheels blog.

Car of the Future Could Include Personalized Dashboards

Software companies could even add new applications, like weather widgets and traffic information, he explained. Nearly everything on the Cisco dashboard can be customized and personalized. In another example, Mr. Evans used different key fobs to invoke differently themed dashboard displays: for her, pastel backgrounds and personalized Pandora stations; for him, a racing-themed black-and-red dashboard with an oversized tachometer and radio display.