Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my P85+ I've had to replace my tires basically every 6 months and from what I hear, that's pretty lucky.

Does anyone have good tips on:

1) Extending the life of your tires?

2) Places that can replace the tires cheaper than the Tesla Service Centers?

1. Make sure that the alignment is correct. Some have gone so far as to install adjustable links. See post #502 in this thread. Rear toe misalignment really kills tire life, and too much negative camber amplifies any toe misalignment.

2. You don't say how many miles you get on your tires. If you drive 30,000 miles in six months, then that's what you can expect.

3. Replacing tires isn't rocket science. Many group members purchase tires from tirerack.com, tiresbyweb.com, Discount Tire, etc.

4. Replace the tires and wheels with 19" tires and wheels.

Run 5 pounds over recommended or more, right up to the max stated on tire wall. And check pressure weekly. I got inner edge wear only when I let pressure drop to 39/40 for too long. Think of your tires as 'porous'. And drive like a sane person. :smile:

Check if there's a Butler Tire near you. I see a lot of high-end cars there (Lambos, Ferraris, etc). I assume they'd have some experience with Tesla as well.
Service is a tad more than Discount Tire or something, but you get what you pay for.

BTW, anybody do their own tire rotations? I have a 3-ton floor jack and tire iron, I think I just need a hockey puck to put on between the jack and the car.

Check if there's a Butler Tire near you. I see a lot of high-end cars there (Lambos, Ferraris, etc). I assume they'd have some experience with Tesla as well.
Service is a tad more than Discount Tire or something, but you get what you pay for.

BTW, anybody do their own tire rotations? I have a 3-ton floor jack and tire iron, I think I just need a hockey puck to put on between the jack and the car.

Yup. I rotate when I switch back and forth with my snows. I drive 15k/year so go about 7.5k between rotations. Your floor jack is fine; make sure you get a torque wrench for getting the right torque on your lug nuts.

There are several threads on this. Here's what (1) I did, and (b) what I would have done if I realized it was possible.

(1) Traded my rear 21x9" rims for 21x8.5" rims, and put on four Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s in 245/21/35 size all the way around. The tires are high performance summer tires, and now I can rotate them.

(b) Kept my 21x9" rims and bought the same tires, but 245s in the front, and 275s in the rear. Can't rotate them, but they're only about $220 per tire. Not the $500 for the Michelin PS2s.

note: I also have a set of 19" Sportline TSTs with all-season Hankook Ventus Nobles for the winter time.

Switch to 19" tires/wheels. :)

Nokian Zline in 245/45R19 are only $186 from tiresbyweb.com, I put them on my car this past Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

Run 5 pounds over recommended or more, right up to the max stated on tire wall. And check pressure weekly. I got inner edge wear only when I let pressure drop to 39/40 for too long. Think of your tires as 'porous'. And drive like a sane person. :smile:

I ran my tires at 51psi (cold) for 2 weeks this summer. The center part of the tread wore out before the inside and outside edges.... I'd advise against the above recommendation.

I ran my tires at 51psi (cold) for 2 weeks this summer. The center part of the tread wore out before the inside and outside edges.... I'd advise against the above recommendation.

This depends on the tire. Tires with a large crown radius are basically immune to that. Tires with a smaller crown radius can have that happen.

For only 2 weeks and its noticeable? Thats amazing.

Put brakes on my SUV recently and measured tread at the same time. Greater wear in the center on 3 out of 4 tires. The 4th had less wear everywhere so I'm guessing a P.O. had to replace that one early. 255/50-19 and M-B specs 32 PSI, or 38 PSI in the rear at max load. 32 PSI seems to be working for me there so I'm keeping Tesla's specified 45 PSI in my 19" Model S tires.

For only 2 weeks and its noticeable? Thats amazing.

Put brakes on my SUV recently and measured tread at the same time. Greater wear in the center on 3 out of 4 tires. The 4th had less wear everywhere so I'm guessing a P.O. had to replace that one early. 255/50-19 and M-B specs 32 PSI, or 38 PSI in the rear at max load. 32 PSI seems to be working for me there so I'm keeping Tesla's specified 45 PSI in my 19" Model S tires.

Maybe they were more worn in the middle for a different reason??? I just assumed it was overinflation.