Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat comfort with short legs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 5'7" and have a longer body with shorter legs. As a result I find many vehicle seats uncomfortable at the front edge of the bottom cushion. I find there's just too much pressure on that area on the back of my legs.

How adjustable is the seat and pedals? All I really care about to be honest is lowering the front of the seat a good amount. To anyone else out there in the 5'8" and shorter, how do you find the seats and positioning?

In my current Prius I have the manual seat that has a height adjustment but it is bothers me on long drives because I can't get comfortable. On my truck it has power seats, but they're so high and the front does not go "down" far enough so I have to play with moving the pedals closer to make it work better.

I've been trying to locate a Model S close to me so I can actually sit in one but when you live in the middle of nowhere it's tough to do. I really want to sit in the car before I drop 6-figures on it. I'm considering the 85D (no need for P).

Is it possible for someone to post a video or photo of the seat with the front cushion as low as it will go?

Last edited:
Standby, let me find a ruler.....

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I get 8 inches from the floor to the top of the front edge of the seat with it all the way down and front tilted down. I also noticed my seat position it just a hair from that as well.. I'm just an inch or so taller then you. I attached a fairly bad picture of me holding the blue ruler next to the seat so you (kinda) have a visual on it. My seats are the original Performance seats (most like the non-performance seats now).

I do know what you mean.. upper legs would get tired sitting in it until I found the perfect position. It always takes be 5-6 tries until I get it just right.

Hope this helps. Let me know what else I can do for you.

-m

WP_20141215_01_29_42_Pro.jpg

I am 5'7" and have a longer body with shorter legs...

Hi, I have similar proportions to you, 5'8" with a long back. I have had this problem with all of my cars, and what I find works best is to lower the seat to the floor, make sure the front end of the seat is as low as possible, adjust the seat-back to a comfortable angle, then finally steering wheel and mirrors. I call it "The Bulldog"...

Thanks, invisik. I measured the height of the seat from the floor mat to the edge of the seat cushion with it all the way down. I measure 11.5" on my Prius. Wow. The thing with the height adjustable Prius seat is that as it raises in height it mainly riases the back of the seat, so if I really crank the seat up high it does flatten out the seat overall.

Also, I set a thin flat piece of wood on the seat cushion from the back to the front, and look at that slope!

16027863332_729a39d209_b.jpg

Going from 11.5" seat height at the front to potentially 8" I think would make a massive difference in comfort. I have a mid-90s Ford with a power seat, and that seat lowers a crazy amount so I find it comfy even though the seat cushion is worn a bit and the seat back is not real high (kind of like a low-back bucket seat).

My wife is 5'3" and finds the seats comfortable. They actually have a good amount of vertical adjustability. I, at 6'3", can basically shove my head out the sunroof if I want. Note that the forward/aft placement of the seat affects the maximum/minimum height of the seat bottom. For example, if I were shorter and could put my seat closer to the wheel, I could adjust the seat bottom lower than I can when placed near its maximum distance from the wheel.

You're going to need to sit in one to figure out if it will meet your needs, unfortunately.