Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing your chargingpoint? or not? USA motives: Small research

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to you all!

I am Sem and can be called a Tesla enthousiast. I love cars, and therefore came on this forum and noticed an important question, regularly asked here. Is a charge point coming here? We need to charge on the roads for longer trips. This question got into my head and as i am now writing a thesis, i am going to try to help/solve this issue!

One small remark: I need you!

As some of you have their charge infrastructure on Plugshare, or share it in a different way, I am questioning what motives you guys have to share. And if you ever thought about it, why didn't you decide to share your charging-point with other Tesla members?

I would appreciate every cooperation and looking forward to your motives for sharing and of course why you are not sharing!

As I opened this in Europe, I question if different motives are found here. Many thanks in advance!

I share my charging point on Plugshare purely out of altruism: a willingness to help people and to help build a sense of community among EV drivers. I also enjoy meeting other EV owners, but most of the use I've had of my charging point was when I wasn't even at home.

Another reason is reciprocation: I've benefitted substantially on many occasions from people willing to share their EVSE with me. While it's very unlikely that I will be able to return the favor to those particular EV owners, I feel that I'm reciprocating by helping out others.

I share my charging point on Plugshare purely out of altruism: a willingness to help people and to help build a sense of community among EV drivers. I also enjoy meeting other EV owners, but most of the use I've had of my charging point was when I wasn't even at home.

Another reason is reciprocation: I've benefited substantially on many occasions from people willing to share their EVSE with me. While it's very unlikely that I will be able to return the favor to those particular EV owners, I feel that I'm reciprocating by helping out others.
Like Robert, I am a "Pay if Forward" kind of guy. I might not be able to help those who have helped me, but I still want to do something to alleviate the reluctance of many to purchase an EV. Besides, it is just really fun to talk with other owners and hear their Tesla Moment stories.

We decided to place our HPWC 80A and NEMA 14-50 40A outlet on Plugshare for several reasons. First it just seemed like a good way to encourage EV travel into and around our part of Washington State. We also enjoy meeting people so this was another way to accomplish that. The usual charge time on the HPWC has been about 1.5 hours so there is plenty of time to visit. We also thought that those using our charger might invite us to use their charger while we were traveling. This has happened and we have avoided commercial charging several times because we charged at someone's home. Last of all, by placing charging opportunities on a publicly available "map" we felt that as the density of these opportunities increased non-EV drivers thinking about purchasing an EV would be encouraged by the "vast" availability of opportunities.

We then started a project of placing haL2 EVSE around north central Washington which grew into an effort that has created an association of 12 Hosts with free to use 70A chargers. The Host businesses believe that EV Tourism has the potential to warrant investment in the installation, maintenance and management of the charger.

Thank you all for your replies! Helps me out a lot!

I am also very interested in why you do NOT offer your charge on PlugShare. Anyone who can help me with that?

I haven't put mine on. There are a few places in town now and there is nothing near my house to do. I try to offer to anyone on TMC that is traveling through the area to charge & have some food, tea, coffee, camp, sleep, whatever.
There is no 'real' reason I haven't put it on, I think not having a cell phone was one? I do get e-mail in my car but don't always check it. The locations of the chargepoints around town are pretty good and usually they are open. I also saw that there were/are others on plugshare around my area so that is already there for others

I've shared mine out in the middle of nowhere in Woodville, TX (now the city of Ivanhoe)
| Woodville, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
The closest Supercharger is Huntsville (~80 miles away) and it's on the way to the Lake Charles, LA Supercharger. For anyone going from Dallas to East on I-10, it would be an easy and scenic route around Houston. An S60 might have a hard time making the 170 mile trip between the two.

I'm doing my part to pepper the map with green and blue dots! ;)

I too share mine for good will, to meet other owners, and because I'm located in the middle of nowhere with almost no area charging infrastructure (Missouri still doesn't have a supercharger). Interestingly, though, fewer people have asked to borrow it than I would have imagined with several fairly popular tourist attractions in the area. Most people have arranged destination charging elsewhere so didn't need to top up passing through.

I haven't shared my charger (NEMA 14-50 in our garage) because my wife and I both work full time and we're frequently running around on the weekends. More importantly, there are quite a few good (and free) public charging options near our house, including HPWCs at Tyson's Corner, so we wouldn't really be filling in any gaps.

yes, to share HPWC

to aid any Villages visitors
to aid any Williamsburg vacationers
to help get my "Tesla Fix" from other S owners
to help with charging during private test drive events
to help any OBX or VB vacationers that get caught "short"

Last edited: