Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
I'm creating a new thread since the old one was about speculation, and there will also likely be more than one San Diego Supercharger running in 2015.

This thread is about the new Supercharger being built in the parking lot of 10105 Pacific Heights Blvd. in San Diego, near Qualcomm buildings AQ and AV. It is going to be a 12 bay Supercharger. As of this posting, I do not have 100% conclusive proof that this is a Supercharger, but will reach out to Tesla to confirm. But the photos presented here are a lot of evidence.

Here's an overview of the site:

1.jpg

And here's a closeup of the 12 conduits sticking out of the ground for the 12 stalls. There are also four smaller conduits presumably for lighting.
2.jpg

Closeup of the stalls. It looks like they are going to completely revamp the parking area - reconfigure where the curbs are and everything. The gray stuff is a hard slurry, not the final concrete.
3.jpg

Closeup of the conduit that runs from the 12 stalls to an area where they will put the Supercharging cabinets.
4.jpg

This large 4" conduit runs to a steel plated area in the middle of the parking lot road which is likely where the 12 kV primary line runs. They are probably going to intercept the high voltage line there and bring a tap through this conduit to the transformer location.
5.jpg

Here you can see the 4" conduit on the bottom left going to where I think the high voltage tap is, and then you can see a trench (no conduit yet) going to where the Supercharger cabinets are going to go. So the intersection of these trenches is likely where the transformer will go.
6.jpg

Closeup of the steel plated area where the high voltage tap is likely to be.
7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Kitty corner from this location is a small mall with no less than six eating spots including a taco shop, a deli and a few restaurants. Only one is open on Sundays, most of them are M-F only. This area is very congested during rush hour, but empty on the weekends. The freeway interchange is being expanded and that should help access a bit. Driving TO the supercharger during rush hour won't be hard, but getting out onto the freeway will take some patience.

8.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Based on the conduits and the concrete around them. I'm not sure, it looks like it could be a HPWC type charger, but I have not seen very many SC installs that would have the cabinet bolted. Tesla pretty much sends all the supplies, and the conduit doesn't match any that I've seen so far.

This looks promising, but I'm curious about the conduits out to the charging stalls. Usually, the two-pipe pedestal cores are put into the concrete with the conduit. In most Supercharger installs the conduits from the Equipment Enclosure to the Pedestals is 3". Are the conduits that large? Also, what are the small conduits for?

This does match the location that I had heard about. We shall see...

The small conduits (two sets of two) are most likely for parking area lighting poles. The things sticking out of the concrete slurry near the 2" - 3" conduits are just scrap metal used to hold the big conduits upright as they poured the slurry. The finish concrete hasn't been poured yet. This parking area is going to be completely revamped, so it isn't your usual surgical Supercharger pedestal install to an existing parking area.

Based on the conduits and the concrete around them. I'm not sure, it looks like it could be a HPWC type charger, but I have not seen very many SC installs that would have the cabinet bolted. Tesla pretty much sends all the supplies, and the conduit doesn't match any that I've seen so far.

I have several buddies who work at Qualcomm in that area, and after I got my Model S, several of them told me there are a lot of Teslas in the Qualcomm parking lot on a daily basis (3rd party hearsay, I know). It could be a bank of HPWCs for the Qualcomm staff parking lot. It seems like an odd location for a large 12-bay Supercharger, but we'll see, I guess.

I have several buddies who work at Qualcomm in that area, and after I got my Model S, several of them told me there are a lot of Teslas in the Qualcomm parking lot on a daily basis (3rd party hearsay, I know). It could be a bank of HPWCs for the Qualcomm staff parking lot. It seems like an odd location for a large 12-bay Supercharger, but we'll see, I guess.

It is a very strange location for a supercharger. But there are some rumors that that is what it is. HPWCs would make more sense, but why not put them in the parking garage, with the other EVSEs? (There are already 6 at this campus.) It would make even more sense to install more generic EVSEs in the parking garage, as there are many non-Tesla EVs at Qualcomm, and there aren't enough EVSEs at the moment.

Its no more strange than anywhere else. Parking real estate in San Diego isn't exactly easy to come by. And as Tesla installs bigger and bigger Superchargers, they need relatively cheap access to high power density, and this site certainly has that. It's close to a freeway, close to restaurants. Other than leaving the Supercharger between 4pm and 6pm, M-F, it works well.

I'm creating a new thread since the old one was about speculation, and there will also likely be more than one San Diego Supercharger running in 2015.

This thread is about the new Supercharger being built in the parking lot of 10105 Pacific Heights Blvd. in San Diego, near Qualcomm buildings AQ and AV. It is going to be a 12 bay Supercharger. As of this posting, I do not have 100% conclusive proof that this is a Supercharger, but will reach out to Tesla to confirm. But the photos presented here are a lot of evidence.

Here's an overview of the site:

View attachment 65999

And here's a closeup of the 12 conduits sticking out of the ground for the 12 stalls. There are also four smaller conduits presumably for lighting.
View attachment 66000

Closeup of the stalls. It looks like they are going to completely revamp the parking area - reconfigure where the curbs are and everything. The gray stuff is a hard slurry, not the final concrete.
View attachment 66001

Closeup of the conduit that runs from the 12 stalls to an area where they will put the Supercharging cabinets.
View attachment 66002

This large 4" conduit runs to a steel plated area in the middle of the parking lot road which is likely where the 12 kV primary line runs. They are probably going to intercept the high voltage line there and bring a tap through this conduit to the transformer location.
View attachment 66003

Here you can see the 4" conduit on the bottom left going to where I think the high voltage tap is, and then you can see a trench (no conduit yet) going to where the Supercharger cabinets are going to go. So the intersection of these trenches is likely where the transformer will go.
View attachment 66004

Closeup of the steel plated area where the high voltage tap is likely to be.
View attachment 66005

- - - Updated - - -

Kitty corner from this location is a small mall with no less than six eating spots including a taco shop, a deli and a few restaurants. Only one is open on Sundays, most of them are M-F only. This area is very congested during rush hour, but empty on the weekends. The freeway interchange is being expanded and that should help access a bit. Driving TO the supercharger during rush hour won't be hard, but getting out onto the freeway will take some patience.

View attachment 66007

Dit anybody find a permit for this location?

Wow, do you guys doubt if the sun rises every morning unless you see it? I'll eat my hat (with pictures) if this isn't a Supercharger site.

And yes, finding Supercharger permits located in the city of San Diego is going to be hard unless someone is masochistic enough to go the San Diego planning department counter in person.

in for updates, A supercharger in SD will be awesome, really useful.

I found going to SD and back in my P85 (from OC, no home charging) a bit of a range anxiety issue without getting a (fairly boring) top up at the Service Center.

I feel like my P85D will be even worse, however highway driving is supposed to be better for range.

I asked the Supercharger team about the location and this is what I heard back:

Thank you for your email. We are working on a location in that area, however, we do not typically disclose exact locations until the station is open and ready to be used by the public.
Our Site Developers are continually looking for locations that enable popular long distance routes and give our customers a great experience.
If you have additional site suggestions in San Diego, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan.
Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

If "working on" means constructing, and "in that area" means Pacific Heights, then it's probable that Cosmacelf's site is a Supercharger in the making. But there are too many unknowns to say for sure.

I asked the Supercharger team about the location and this is what I heard back:

If "working on" means constructing, and "in that area" means Pacific Heights, then it's probable that Cosmacelf's site is a Supercharger in the making. But there are too many unknowns to say for sure.

I really hope that this a Supercharger station site, but I'm not sure about it.

Anyway, thanks for posting this information.

Wow, do you guys doubt if the sun rises every morning unless you see it? I'll eat my hat (with pictures) if this isn't a Supercharger site.

I'm glad you don't have to find an appetizing hat ;-)

I imposed on one of my buddies at Qualcomm, who confirmed with their facilities department that this is indeed a Tesla Supercharger with this response; "Yes it is true. It will be open around March or April."

The Qualcomm building in Sorrento valley? A better location would have been near a shopping center. Mission Valley at Hazard center, a vacant corner lot at Ruffin road and Gramercy drive( Was once a neighborhood shopping center, and is a main thoroughfare between Kearny mesa and mission valley.) that is just waiting for the right developer.