Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Considering the 2015 Cayenne eHybrid if MX keeps delaying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nevek

Overt Member
Apr 30, 2014
Seattle
It is certainly not apples to apples as a plug-in hybrid but it still qualifies for $5,335.60 in Federal tax credit and will almost certainly be readily available before the MX. I suspect the interior may be better than the MX, albeit with no third row seating. Costs appear to be in line with the anticipated MX pricing and possibly less if you go easy on the infamous Porsche option list.

I know that that this is an offensive idea to consider for many Tesla loyalists, but for the pragmatists amoung us, what think you?

Wouldn't even consider a car with 20 miles of electric range. Then the MX will also have autopilot that the Cayenne doesn't have. The autopilot is a very important feature when making long trips because it guarantees comfortable and safer trips.

I know that that this is an offensive idea to consider for many Tesla loyalists, but for the pragmatists amoung us, what think you?

Oh gosh. At the risk of being labeled 'non-pragmatic', I'll have to say 'what is this ICE thing??'.

Seriously, I want an all-electric garage. The Roadster stays, the Jeep has to go. If the competition actually came up with something that would compete with a Model X, I'd consider it. But the realist in me says 'that 2015 Cayenne is a total poser'. I'm not falling for their silly marketing hype that tries to make it into something it is not.

I wanted an electric car years ago and held off until something came out that was all electric and had some better range. So do not want anything to do with gas.
Thanks, folks, for helping talk me back from the edge. I'd like an new SUV/CUV sometime before the next ice age, and am grasping at straws.

The Yukon Denali has to go.

image.jpg
Ok, just in case Tesla does not no how to throw us a bone I have a show and tell on how it is done!

Wouldn't even consider a car with 20 miles of electric range. Then the MX will also have autopilot that the Cayenne doesn't have. The autopilot is a very important feature when making long trips because it guarantees comfortable and safer trips.

I think you meant:
Then the MX, if it's ever produced, will, hopefully, at some point in the future, have autopilot that the current Cayenne doesn't have. The autopilot could be a very important feature when making long trips because it would help make for comfortable and safer trips.

For people wanting 1 vehicle that has to be a large SUV, a Cayenne plug-in would be a relatively efficient choice. I'd suggest that a pragmatic interested in the Cayenne, set themselves:
a) a date for when they "have" to have it
b) what features it must have

Then if they can't get an X with their required features by their target date and the e-Cayenne has the required features, get the e-Cayenne.

Last edited:
How about a plug-in Mitsubishi Outlander with twice the electric range of the Porsche, AWD, and for 1/2 to 1/3 the price? Another valid question is do you just get an AWD S with air suspension. At this point, it seems like the X is just an S with a larger 6th and 7th seat, that probably costs more, that probably has less range, and that you probably can't really buy for about 18 months.

How about a plug-in Mitsubishi Outlander with twice the electric range of the Porsche, AWD, and for 1/2 to 1/3 the price? Another valid question is do you just get an AWD S with air suspension. At this point, it seems like the X is just an S with a larger 6th and 7th seat, that probably costs more, that probably has less range, and that you probably can't really buy for about 18 months.

How does that work if you're trying to go 100% electric? It's still using gas.

Have you seen the production Model X? Your post sounds like you have some knowledge of what's coming ... please share!

Just as a point of interest, the local Porsche dealer tells me that a new order for the just introduced Cayenne plug-in would arrive around June or July 2015. May as well wait and see if I clear the MX Signature wait list (ha!) or MX production reservation 9000ish can come in before the end of the 2015. I'm slowly learning not to count on optimistic timing announcements from Tesla, but they do appear to deliver what they promise eventually.

I looked at inventory MS, even drove P85D, but they didn't quite make me pull out a checkbook. The Cayenne is as close to what I want as I can find, but I really want a MX!

Good thing there is a strong support group at TMC for those of us who have trouble delaying gratification.

People keep quoting 20 electric miles for the Cayenne, but the EPA rating is really 14 miles. In other words, don't plan on running on the electric motor alone much. I'm sure the performance would be pitiful in that mode anyway. It's 22 MPG after that, which is hardly better than a gas only version.

Personally, I don't care for Porsche styling in the least, and wouldn't pay anything close to Tesla prices for something with an ICE.

We couldn't justify maintaining our 12 year old minivan any longer and sprung for a Subaru Forester. Completely different price class, of course, but meets our need for an AWD SUV and has a reasonable resale value once we get around to pulling the trigger on the X ... which may be a long time if my wife enjoys the new car.

The Outlander PHEV has about a 40 mile EV range, which I think is significant, and could substantially reduce gasoline use.

Reflecting on out experience getting a PHEV (PiPrius with its comically short <12 miles EV range), with our drive/charge pattern we reduced gas by 80% for that car. We then estimated with a Volt we would have reduced 90%+, and with a Leaf, 100%. We now know which percentage we want.
As many here personally have experienced, it's a one way journey: the less you go to a gas station, each visit bothers you even more, and the less you want to keep going.