Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded at Snowbowl

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a fun day today.. drove from Scottsdale to Flagstaff for some early season skiing. Upon getting back to my car in the mid afternoon I am greeted with the "12v battery" low message, and other messages saying the car needs service and is not driveable. Lovely.

I gave Tesla a call and all things considered they have been fantastic. They arranged a taxi back to my hotel are sending a rental car up from the Scottsdale service center right now. The MS is going to be picked up from the mountain and taken back for service. In a somewhat stressful situation (especially with kids), they took care of everything.

I'm really wondering what the root cause is. My MS is relatively early (~4000) and they already replaced the 12v preemptively.. wonder what happened here.

Had a fun day today.. drove from Scottsdale to Flagstaff for some early season skiing. Upon getting back to my car in the mid afternoon I am greeted with the "12v battery" low message, and other messages saying the car needs service and is not driveable. Lovely.

I gave Tesla a call and all things considered they have been fantastic. They arranged a taxi back to my hotel are sending a rental car up from the Scottsdale service center right now. The MS is going to be picked up from the mountain and taken back for service. In a somewhat stressful situation (especially with kids), they took care of everything.

I'm really wondering what the root cause is. My MS is relatively early (~4000) and they already replaced the 12v preemptively.. wonder what happened here.

Well realistically, AZ is really, really hard on batteries. Crappy time for it to go out, but not out of the norm. My experience is that the average car battery in AZ is lucky to last longer than 24 months.

Hopefully the family had a good time regardless!

Sorry to hear
glad they treated you well
let us know what happens

I think folks are probably right about AZ shortening the life of lead acid batteries. I've heard that before and this is my first year in AZ, so it went through a Washington state winter, AZ summer and now winter.. probably pretty taxing. Even if they get better about monitoring, I might make replacing it an end of summer ritual.

After I got back to my hotel I watched a video about jump starting the 12v.. so simple! For other reasons I carry a 12v deep cycle marine battery with me. I was just a set of jumper cables away from being able to solve the problem myself.

Tesla has confirmed the car is back in Scottsdale. The truck fished it off the mountain around 10pm last night. They knew I was up skiing and were thoughtful enough to bring an SUV up, so skiing today went off without a problem.