Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 85D or P85D?

To P or not to P

• 85D

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • P85D

Votes: 22 44.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming pricing, range, and acceleration differences are similar to Model S, which model do you (or would you) plan to buy and why? Like to hear your thoughts. Currently have a Sig 85 Model S which is plenty fast for us, and are looking to add an X with similar performance, but P85Ds seem to be all the rage.

Let's assume range is 10% less than Model S for 85kW battery, and acceleration to 60 mph is ~0.8 sec slower.

It will be a X85 why use a D when it only is delivered with Dual drive, less is more. ;-)
I looking for a car for use, not showoff and I guess the regurlar will be faster than most cars in the same size car on the road.
Will use money on things I need, like 3.row, tow hitch, Dual og 43kW AC, (Renault have that in EU, and some chargers already have support for it.)
One more thing is the smal new designed engine in front and back.

To P or not to P, that is the question—
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Costs,
Or to take prudence against a Sea of Options,
And by opposing, end them?
(With apologies to WS)

I won't know until I see the configurator for the X and find how strong my willpower is before hitting the final button.

Last edited:
I have a Model S P85 now that is ~20 months old.

If I stay a 1 Tesla household and trade the S for X then P85D all the way. :) If I wait a few years before getting the X and keep my Model S then I'll probably get the more cost effective 85D. (I'm leaning towards the latter).

Huh. Do I spend some unknown amount more for the faster unknown version of the unreleased car, or save who knows how much money by getting the still-probably-really-fast unknown regular version of the unreleased car?

As you can probably tell by my paraphrasing, I don't really see this question as being one that can be rationally answered until Tesla comes up with some more information for us, unless money is no object and you need to have the "best" - in which case, go P all the way.

The rest of us will need to wait for pricing and performance information, and weigh what other options might be worth the money first. :)
Walter