Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing your chargingpoint? or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to you all!

I am Sem and can be called a Tesla enthousiast. I love cars, and therefore came on this forum and noticed an important question, regularly asked here. Is a charge point coming here? We need to charge on the roads for longer trips. This question got into my head and as i am now writing a thesis, i am going to try to help/solve this issue!

One small remark: I need you!

As some of you have their charge infrastructure on Plugshare, or share it in a different way, I am questioning what motives you guys have to share. And if you ever thought about it, why didn't you decide to share your charging-point with other Tesla members?

I would appreciate every cooperation and looking forward to your motives for sharing and of course why you are not sharing!

Many thanks in advance!

We offer to share our Roadster station (and will share our "regular" Tesla station when we get our X) for various reasons :
1) make owning and driving an electric car easier, to encourage others to do the same
2) it's a great opportunity to meet other electric car owners
3) it doesn't really impact our electric bill
4) karma entropy may help US out sometime in the future ;-P

I decided not to share. By the time I thought about it there were already a couple other owners of electric cars within 1 mile that were sharing. Shortly after that there were four other municipal charge spots that were free.

Since I live in "Tesla country", there are a gazillion Teslas around now.

I suspect anyone who would be looking for a charge nearby at this point would simply use the public chargers and not chose to contact a private owner.

If I lived somewhere else, the story might be very different.

For the first time I'll be getting home charging, (new place and P85D),

there are plenty of public charging options less than a mile from here, so it'd just make things fairly inconvenient, as well as being a 240v/40a, not a fast HPWC.

If I had a HPWC, in a place where there isn't much charging I'd probably do it.

For the first time I'll be getting home charging, (new place and P85D),

there are plenty of public charging options less than a mile from here, so it'd just make things fairly inconvenient, as well as being a 240v/40a, not a fast HPWC.

If I had a HPWC, in a place where there isn't much charging I'd probably do it.
Ditto. There are at least 6 public ChargePoint plugs within 2-3 miles of my house. One of those is sure to be available at any given time. If there were no public stations around I would definitely make mine available for people that were in a jam.

Edit: It just occurred to me that this is the European section and these responses from Florida and California may not be that relevant to the OP. On the other hand, maybe they are...

Sharing your home charging source is a very personal decision. It should be recognized that not everyone is comfortable with opening up their homes to complete strangers.

We have a Florida Tesla club with over 340 families enrolled. We also have a private charging network among club members. Even with the security of having the contact information for participating members, only about 80 members are in the network.

A few are also enrolled in plugshare and are prepared to share with strangers. Nevertheless, it is my experience that most people are not. Different strokes for different folks.

Larry

We have a Volt, not a Model S, and we do not share publicly. It's only a 20A charger, so wouldn't be much use, but the actual reason for us not sharing was that we had been in a situation for years where someone lived in an apartment above our garage and had lots of visitors, so it was a nice change, particularly for my wife, who had had that situation much longer.

Hello you all! Thank you very much for the fast replies! Really appreciated and did not expect it so fast! GREAT!

@Jordentompson: Thanks! Exactly where i am looking for! Hope to see more!

@Owner/Spentan: I see you decided not to share because there are already charge points very close. You say the decision might be different in a neighborhood without close chargepoints. Could you tell me what your motivations would be to share? For example: helping others out. Every motivation is very helpful! And of course i am interested if thats the only reason why not to share :)!

@ebullio Thank you for your tip! I will do that!

Thank you so much already! Looking forward to see more motivations :biggrin: