Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski/snowboard and bike rack on my P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Hi all,

I just got delivery of my P85D this morning and just couldn't wait to install the roof rack with ski/snowboard and bike attachments.

Here are some photos of the finished work - can't wait to go biking tomorrow and skiing/boarding on Sunday!!

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5137.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5141.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5134.jpg
    IMG_5134.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 1,058
Great car and cool setup. Would you be willing to share your change in efficiency with racks over without?

Well I have less than 50 miles of history thus far since I just both the car this morning, so that wouldn't really be meaningful... I will remove it at some point in late-december when I take a long trip up North and post results then.

Way to go, first thing you do after getting it home is ruin the awesome aerodynamics and slow the thing down. :tongue:

Yeah I know, oh well... I don't plan on keeping it on at all times though.

BTW the base rack itself seems pretty low drag, since it's shape like a teardrop to minimize both drag and noise. Whispbar makes pretty cool products!

OK, I am on the spreadsheet (63808) but haven't yet posted yet to this thread but thought now was the time.

I received the final price sheet today, and have been told that my car will go into production this weekend. The DS has been noncommittal on delivery... just quoting "late December", yet the final price sheet says "on or about 12/18. Interestingly. a bunch of other cars destined for Denver, CO some to be a bit ahead of mine but not yet delivered so maybe they are trying to group together.

By the way, this is a multi-coat red P85D, tan interior, grey 21s, and fully loaded expect for the 3rd row. Traded in my first Tesla.. a red/tan P85+ with 790 miles that I received in September. Currently driving the other half's ICE in the meantime.

MarcG... glad to see a red one delivered! ;)

Hi all,

I just got delivery of my P85D this morning and just couldn't wait to install the roof rack with ski/snowboard and bike attachments.

Here are some photos of the finished work - can't wait to go biking tomorrow and skiing/boarding on Sunday!!

Thanks for the pictures! If you don't mind sharing, who makes the rack?

I know that it screws up the efficiency, but sometimes, that is worth doing for usability. So far, it's usually just me or me and one other person in the MS, so I just put the bikes and skis in the car...

I did a test run from the South Bay up to Tahoe in my P85. Put four people, gear, and stuff for a week's stay easily in the back (and frunk) with the single seat folded down. Not hugely comfortable for those in back (one of whom was me part of the time), but it would be totally fine with three people.

Hi all,

Does your car spend all of it's time parked on the street or do you park it in a garage? If you park it in the garage, don't let yourself become one of the many, many customers I see (in the retail bicycle business) who come to me after destroying their bike after driving into the garage with it on the roof. The potential damage to your car could obviously be much more expensive than repairing/replacing your bike. A tip I can offer to anyone who carries a bike on their roof is to place a chair, bucket, garbage can, step ladder... anything really, just inside your garage door the moment you take the car out to load the bike. That way even if you forget the bike is on the roof you have to stop before driving into the garage with your bike on the roof. VERY important to place whatever it is INSIDE the garage door, not outside. I had one customer who took my advise and used a garbage can, but she placed it OUTSIDE the garage door and a nice neighbor put it away for her.

Have fun with your rocket ship!

Thanks for the pictures! If you don't mind sharing, who makes the rack?

It's made by Whispbar, which was recently acquired by Yakima but all the branding still only says Whispbar.
You can buy the base rack from Tesla directly, which will automatically include the Model S-specific kit.
I bought the ski/snowboard attachment (WB300) from Amazon and the bike attachment (WB200) from REI.

- - - Updated - - -

Does your car spend all of it's time parked on the street or do you park it in a garage? If you park it in the garage, don't let yourself become one of the many, many customers I see (in the retail bicycle business) who come to me after destroying their bike after driving into the garage with it on the roof. The potential damage to your car could obviously be much more expensive than repairing/replacing your bike. A tip I can offer to anyone who carries a bike on their roof is to place a chair, bucket, garbage can, step ladder... anything really, just inside your garage door the moment you take the car out to load the bike. That way even if you forget the bike is on the roof you have to stop before driving into the garage with your bike on the roof. VERY important to place whatever it is INSIDE the garage door, not outside. I had one customer who took my advise and used a garbage can, but she placed it OUTSIDE the garage door and a nice neighbor put it away for her.

Have fun with your rocket ship!

Both street and carport. No overhead obstructions, thank goodness! I've had 2 friends destroy their bike/rack/car by driving in their garage too quickly with a bike still attached to the rack... not good. Thanks for the heads-up though!

Nice -- I'm guessing you have the car raised up on high with the air suspension right? It looks like it's on stilts!

Yep, it's set to High in order to clear the curb.

Love the bike! - stumpy fsr? (I ride an epic). R u gonna get the trailer hitch?

Thanks for all the great updates.

Excellent guess! Stumpy FSR Expert EVO carbon 29 (a mouthful, I know...) also upgraded with Sram XX1 drivetrain, Rock Shox PIKE 150mm fork, and Thompson infinitely adjustable seat post. Love that ride!!

Not sure about the trailer hitch. I'll see how many bikes I'll have to haul at once, as it's getting harder and harder to get my friends to ride...

Excellent guess! Stumpy FSR Expert EVO carbon 29 (a mouthful, I know...) also upgraded with Sram XX1 drivetrain, Rock Shox PIKE 150mm fork, and Thompson infinitely adjustable seat post. Love that ride!!

Not sure about the trailer hitch. I'll see how many bikes I'll have to haul at once, as it's getting harder and harder to get my friends to ride...

Sweet!! I've ridden that bike. There's a surprising magic in it. Good call not getting the Camber - no magic imo.

That is a mouthful - mine's name is much shorter:

IMG_20130921_230244_366.jpg

Lot of magic in the Epic too and sooooo fast. But I think the small added weight of your Stumpy is geometrically eclipsed by the added versatility, if/when I do it again I think that's what I'll get.

Lot of good riding near you or do you have to travel?

Quick question. I've been considering a roof rack for our bikes. But would like to remove the roof rack and drive without the rack most of the time. So, the quick question is, how easy (or hard) is it to install and remove?

Removing and reinstalling the base rack is unfortunately not nearly as easy or quick as just removing the bike attachment only, which doesn't need any tools or extra parts or bolts.

Depending on how you count them, the base rack has 4 to 6 separate parts *on each corner* that definitely needs some getting used to:

1. An "adapter" bolt that screws onto the pano roof slots
2. A bolt with locking washer (I'll consider that 1 part but it's really 2) to screw the adapter down
3. A rubber foot that is placed over the adapter
4. An oval-shaped nut with another washer (yet another 2-for-1 part) that ties the rack down onto the adapter bolt over the foot

So overall, besides the rack itself and the hex wrench tool, you technically have 30 pieces to keep track of!
For a better idea of the process, check out the rack installation video on TM's official website.
The only think you won't have to do again is the installation of the clear rubber strips and rail length adjustments, but the rest is all needed every time.

If you're going to be biking frequently I would honestly just keep the base rack on your car and just pop the WB200 bike attachment on and off whenever you need it. Much easier & quick that way.

Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions!

- - - Updated - - -

Lot of magic in the Epic too and sooooo fast. But I think the small added weight of your Stumpy is geometrically eclipsed by the added versatility, if/when I do it again I think that's what I'll get.

Lot of good riding near you or do you have to travel?

Wow very nice, an S-Works!! I'm sure it's a ton of fun too :)

Oh yeah, we definitely get lots of good single track around the Bay Area.
Marin, Skeggs, Soquel, then a little further we have Downieville, Tahoe... so much to ride!