Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing a Totaled Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I THINK its just for more major damage where the car has deactivated itself due to blowing the pyro fuse in the battery pack, but there hasn't been anything published on what exactly will cause tesla to deactivate the car.

This is pretty common when it comes to classic cars. If you have an emotional attachment to the car (most classic owners do), you insure it for more than its real replacement value. For example my $4k - $5k MG Midget is insured for $8k. That way if it does get totalled, there's still a good chance I can buy it back and fix it with the insurance money, and if I can't I can at least get another can that's a little nicer than the last one.

I've seen some unfortunate posts where people have had their cars totaled for minor damage, and they've had to let go of their cars. There is another way. If your car is totaled, you might be able to have it fixed using the money you receive from the insurance company. More here: The truth about 'totaled' cars: How to keep yours | Insure.com.
The thing I found interesting about that article is that it implies, but never says outright, that taking the payout and keeping the car will result in a salvage title, even if the insurance company doesn't take the car.

I've never been involved in a total loss accident, so I have no first hand knowledge, but I always assumed that the insurance company had to take title to the car for the car to get a salvage title. Looking at the MA RMV site, it appears that (at least in MA) simply being declared a total loss by the insurance company results in a salvage title. Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems a bit odd that my insurance company can unilaterally "taint" my car's title...

http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/titles/8define.htm

"A total loss salvage motor vehicle is a motor vehicle which has been stolen and unrecovered or which has been wrecked, destroyed or damaged by collision, fire, water, or other occurrence to such an extent that the owner or if the vehicle was insured, the insurer, considers it uneconomical to repair.
If a vehicle has been declared a total loss the owner or if insured, the insurance company must apply for a Salvage Title ... A vehicle with a Salvage Repairable Title cannot be registered until the vehicle has passed the required Salvage Inspection. (see Salvage Inspection section)"

Tesla won't re-activate a vehicle with a salvage title unless it passes their inspection (as discussed before).