Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flooding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An interesting discussion I had with my wife as the road to our home in Portola Valley was flooded. It was probably a solid thigh high deep in some parts. With a petrol car, having the car's intake suck in water would be devastating to the engine. However, with the Tesla being an EV, are there any problems that can occur with driving the MS into slightly flooded areas? My wife raised the car to its highest point and made it through just fine, but I was a little curious with this car being so different.

It's best to avoid high water since flooding is one of the exclusions to the battery warranty:

Limited Warranty:
• Exposing the vehicle to ambient temperatures above 140°F (60°C) or below -22°F (-30°C) for
more than 24 hours at a time;
• Physically damaging the Battery, or intentionally attempting, either by physical means,
programming, or other methods, to extend (other than as specified in your owner
documentation) or reduce the life of the Battery;
• Exposing the Battery to direct flame; or,
• Flooding of the Battery.

when Miami got a flash flood about a year ago, there were about a dozen or so Tesla's that got flooded and shorted out/disabled. Service center got swamped with non-functional MS. So no, it's not ok. Under no circumstance should you be driving your MS through deep water.

No need to go to extremes here. Just simply tell her this means you need to get rid of that Model S now and get a new one, specifically a P85D. :)

Early, were you the one keeping the P85 and giving the D to your wife? If so, we know who wears the boots in that marriage :).

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed that my post has several...er...connotations. Before things get out of hand...we've all exhausted the D jokes, right? I assume nobody wants to hear them anymore :).