Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Model S Redesign in the Works? (Oops no, those are old prototype photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Moderator note: thread title update after photos were identified (see down-thread)

A recent visit to the Fremont factory lobby prompted this question, where I saw a poster of what looked like a new Model S prototype. I took these photos and assume they are okay to post because everyone else in the lobby was also taking photos and Tesla did not say we shouldn't. Perhaps this is old news, but it's new to me... Here are the relevant details that I noticed:
  • Forward camera appears in windshield, which is a good indication that this is a recent prototype.
  • New door handle design and possibly more aggressive contouring of door panels (could be optical illusion from reflection).
  • New nose-cone sporting what appears to be a multiple sensor array.
  • The man in the foreground is my father, he really loved the tour!
The car pictured was also used in a looping video playing in the factory lobby promoting the Model S. This was the first time I'd ever seen such a design and wanted to share this with the community. If this is new, it looks like we have more goodies to look forward to! :)

FullSizeRender 4.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks strikingly similar to a prototype photo I saw back in 2012. Of course I didn't pay attention to the fine details back then, so I suppose it's conceivable that they redid the photo shoot with a similar black MS against the same backdrop.

Also, keep in mind that Elon has mentioned that redesigns/new features are going to take a breather until the MX is out.

More often than not we do end up seeing older prototype model s photos, and mistake them as new features in our excitement for change :)

Not that long ago a screencap of a model s screen was posted and we mistook it for new apps on the main screen.