Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Wendover, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.westwendovercity.com/

Tesla Motors, Inc., has received their approval and permit for construction of a Super Charging Station in West Wendover, which will be located adjacent and east of the Wendover Chevron on Wendover Boulevard near Interstate 80 Exit 410. The project includes 6 charging stations

TM's official Supercharger map still doesn't show Wendover as a future Supercharger site, and yet it's obvious that one has to go there to fill in the I-80 gap between Elko, NV and (approximately) Tooele, UT. There really isn't any other suitable place along that desolate 220-mile stretch; Wells is too close to Elko. Good catch.

Here's the direct link, from the (overlapping) thread on Nevada Superchargers:
TESLA CHARGES UP IN WEST WENDOVER

Pity that the threads on North American Superchargers are scattered between this section and the North American subsection, but I'm not the forum organizer, so ...

Last edited:
The article continues:

spacer.gif
...which can give a full charge to a Tesla vehicle in less than an hour. The West Wendover facility which is being built in partnership with the Peppermill will be the first northern Nevada facility on Interstate 80 to be constructed. Today, the closest stations are Truckee, California to the west and Cheyenne, Wyoming to the east. Additional stations will follow located in Elko and Winnemucca, Nevada as well as sites in Utah.In early September Tesla Chairman and CEO Elon Musk announced with Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval a new Tesla GigaFactory in Sparks, Nevada which will produce new batteries for up to 500,000 Tesla vehicles by 2020. The new facility will employ a Nevada workforce of up to 6,000.
“This project is an important component to the Tesla vision for use of electric vehicle across the country”, said Mayor Emily Carter. “No longer are electric vehicles viewed simply as something that can be used only for local use but now such complete electric vehicles can travel most anywhere any other internal combustion driven vehicle can go. We welcome Tesla to our community and look forward to their continued developments in our great State.”
Source: For more information about the Tesla GigaFactory

Also some new site information, which may be old news to folks here (haven't checked to see if they're listed on the coming soon/2015 maps).

Oops, hit send early
Wendover !!
i finally had a day to myself so naturally I drove to the NV border to check it out ! Had no expectation of seeing any work being done, but there they were, I said "you guys know it's Sunday right? and a holiday weekend !?" They said, "yeah, and football!"
After i I lurked around for a while, the foreman approached me and we talked for some time. This is the team that most recently built Lake Charles LA ! They were happy to have a nice day today, but said they had been delayed on this one by some previous nasty weather. They also said this install was more of a challenge because of the sloping site. Those black lines on the ground that look exactly like exceptionally long charging cables - sorry - they're water hoses for the concrete!

Other notes as I recall them:

contractor told me they have recently got the bid for Santa Rosa & Napa (& a 3rd one I can't remember)
the crew was all from Louisiana & knew there was also a crew in Elko working, but had no idea about Tooele (Lake Point).
This site has 5 lines fully plumbed from the transformer to the distribution enclosure (but only 3 hooked up) so is ready to expand from 6 to 10 chargers more easily (wonder how many SCs are similarly built?)
when I said, "those are the biggest bollards I've ever seen." - one of the guys said, "yeah, those were a pain in the a$$" ! (Exact quote)
Power is on, they were supposed to be done Friday, but are going to be finished tomorrow, Mon.

Last edited:
Other notes as I recall them:

contractor told me they have recently got the bid for Santa Rosa & Napa (& a 3rd one I can't remember)
the crew was all from Louisiana & knew there was also a crew in Elko working, but had no idea about Tooele (Lake Point).
This site has 5 lines fully plumbed from the transformer to the distribution enclosure (but only 3 hooked up) so is ready to expand from 6 to 10 chargers more easily (wonder how many SCs are similarly built?)
when I said, "those are the biggest bollards I've ever seen." - one of the guys said, "yeah, those were a pain in the a$$" ! (Exact quote)
Power is on, they were supposed to be done Friday, but are going to be finished tomorrow, Mon.

Thanks for the great report! A few questions:
- Was Santa Rosa in New Mexico (where one is expected coming soon) or in California near Napa (where one is not expected)?
- For the third site which you don't remember, do any of the following ring a bell: Lovelock, Winnemucca, Trinidad (CO), Las Vegas (NM), Bishop (CA), Sheridan (WY), Perry (OK), Ardmore (OK), Denton (TX), Weatherford (OK), Amarillo (TX), Shamrock (TX), Slidell (LA) or Mobile (AL)
- Did you stop at the Tooele site to see if anything was happening there?

- For the third site which you don't remember, do any of the following ring a bell: Lovelock, Winnemucca, Trinidad (CO), Las Vegas (NM), Bishop (CA), Sheridan (WY), Perry (OK), Ardmore (OK), Denton (TX), Weatherford (OK), Amarillo (TX), Shamrock (TX), Slidell (LA) or Mobile (AL)
I talked to him in Lake Charles, and enjoyed it a lot. Nice guy and was curious about the cars.
Try Arkansas (TWO sites), he had been bidding there (but I did not pry for town names). He had given me the Elko and Wendover (and Springfield MA) site bid news, this was just before Thanksgiving. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ake-Charles-LA?p=820313&viewfull=1#post820313

Thanks all
Very sorry for the long delayed response, I spent yesterday device-free then had to catch up today on the work I'd neglected.
emupilot - I assumed he meant SantaRosa CA because he said it in the same breath as Napa, & I'm familiar w Marin & Sonoma counties, but it's entirely possible he meant NM. I'll ask him - got his email
According to him, Tom, the foreman, Tesla will be there Wednesday, tomorrow !! to test operation of the site, then he'll be headed home.
OMG the Pres. just name dropped Tesla in the SOTU!!! yes, I'm multitasking
it was very much worth the effort in my little car w the blown speakers and gasp! - NO cruise control . . . what? Is this 1986 !?
I have been looking forward to contributing here on the SC buildout - and I was rewarded - also really tempted to continue on to ELko, but no. I will be headed that way early April at the latest, maybe mid Feb! So I'll let you know. It occurs to me that the openings/ribbon cuttings of all the NV/I-80 SCs ought to happen as a set, like a progressive dinner We'll eat electromagnetism ! This is, of course, since they are a string, none are really any good without all of the others.
heres more pics if I can get them to load
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

And, in contrast, here's Tooele (apparently)

image.jpg

Cool!

However... according to my map it's over 200 miles to the next nearest working S/C (in Nephi UT), so it might be a while before it gets many visitors! This might be, for the moment, the most isolated Supercharger in the world.

Ev'ry bit helps, though.

I don't think it will take long for the Elko shoe to drop. And that should mean more to the west following.
We are seeing a similar march, but eastward, down here on the Lake Charles - Baton Rouge - Slidell - Mobile road to FL... Lake Charles was an 'isolated' oasis for a short time!