Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Very Promising Start!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed my P85D this week which has a provisional June 2015 delivery.

Firstly I have to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum which has been a goldmine of information.

My car is being bought as a company car and the UK Tax thread was very helpful and all confirmed by my accountant. The only possible addition to that thread would be that I had not realised that you cannot claim the VAT back (some £16k) on a company car if it is for any private usage. There seems to be no percentage - if there is a hint of private use you cannot claim any of it, it seems. Unless anyone knows better?

I have now had two test drives at the Gatwick Tesla Garage both with Charlie Fraser, a wonderfully knowledgeable Scot who has patiently answered my myriad of questions. He even dealt with the slightly EV sceptic questions thrown at him by my wife on the second visit admirably. I have to say it is a refreshing change from the usual car buying routine. When I arrived for the first visit, I was somewhat taken aback by the fact there were only 2 cars outside and one in the showroom in what was a large ex Mercedes garage. Very tumbleweed. However, Charlie and Tom seemed very pleased to see us and their enthusiasm was infectious and genuine. I had already ordered the car so this was just about choosing colour and options but I never felt pressured at any point. Still ended up choosing most of them so the subtle approach worked! The test drives of the S85 followed by the P85 confirmed everything that I had read here and elsewhere plus more. The acceleration, the quietness, and the ease of driving. The power is very predictable and precise unlike the Audi S5 I drive currently. I was very reassured by this as having ordered a P85D I was concerned that I would always have to be on the top of my game driving wise with all of that power.

Such a difference from buying from Audi. For example, I was sitting in the Portsmouth Audi showroom recently, gazing disbelievingly at the display featuring an Audi A3 being pulled by mechanical nodding Reindeer that was occupying most of the space, when a bell rang followed by lots of whooping, clapping, back slapping and high fives from amongst all of the staff. When I asked what they were celebrating apparently one of the salesman had sold a car. Oh FFS. Feeling slightly sickened, I vowed never to buy another Audi. The other joy was to stand next to the £130k Audi R8 V10 and stand there whilst the salesman berated me with its specification - 525BHP 0-60 3.4 secs etc., It was a joy to tell him that the Model S I had ordered exceeded all of these specs with zero emissions to boot. Plus I won't look like a knob when I am driving it.

Now I have the long wait until June to endure. Any tips on how people survive it would be gratefully received. I know reading this forum will help and I am looking forward to when the US members start feeding back their experiences with their P85Ds which are being delivered imminently. I am particularly interested in the comments concerning the "next gen" seats which I have ordered unseen.

One question I had was concerning the "Alloygators" that one of the cars had fitted to their 21" wheels at the Gatwick showroom. Do they genuinely protect the rims? The 21s are very vulnerable to kerbing and I would gladly spend the money if it meant protecting them.

Anyway, thank you for letting me expunge at length - let me know if you are in the queue for a P85D too!

Cheers Graham

Graham, congratulations on your most excellent choice! There is nothing to do about the "waiting" but endure it and read TMC voraciously.

Your story about the R8 was entertaining. :) Maybe there will be an R8 EV someday (I'm still not convinced it will happen, despite Audi's announcements) but it will be far more expensive than the P85D, have far less cabin and trunk space, and have less range. AUDI will call it a "Tesla killer" but it will not be perceived that way by most people. Still, let's hope that AUDI gets their EV act together eventually.

. The only possible addition to that thread would be that I had not realised that you cannot claim the VAT back (some £16k) on a company car if it is for any private usage. There seems to be no percentage - if there is a hint of private use you cannot claim any of it, it seems. Unless anyone knows better?

True enough, but slightly balanced by the fact that you don't have to charge VAT on the resale either (which obviously you would if you were able to treat it as a normal input).

VAT can also be reclaimed on accessories (other than ones fitted to the car at the time of purchase), servicing etc. (subject to it having a business use). Depending on the nature of accessories, they may or may not need to be added to the P11D value of the car.

Hi Graham

yah I'm in the P85D wait Q as well .. you could do what I did and buy one of the Tesla UK fleet cars (P85+) as a fill in while you wait for the D ;)

Interesting Data point re German car Companies, today was a big musical chairs .. Herbert Diess who was head of R&D at BMW and as such was influential in bringing the i8 and i3 to market was announced as moving to VW as there new CEO (in Oct 2015 ... that is a long handover period, however that is how the German Car Companies work)

All the best G

Welcome Graham! I know it's small comfort but many of us had to wait YEARS for our Model S. Yours is only 7 months away :) I will chime in with a hearty endorsement of the Alloy Gators. We have them on our car and they have protected the rims very well. However, if the rims are new there are reports that dirt can get in between and actually cause very light scratches. In our case my wife didn't want them until we (she did 3 wheels and I did 1) had done all 4 wheels before installing so in our case they are not only protecting the wheels from further damage they are covering up the damage already done.

I'm not sure what I would do with a new car. If I was doing it today I would not install them without doing more research on how to avoid the small scratches. Maybe one could install some kind of paint armor where the gators contact the wheel?

Hi Graham
I also bought my car from the Gatwick Store, I went for one that was already built and heading over to UK....as I just could not wait!!! Ordered mid Nov, Took delivery 1st December. Completely agree with the Gatwick/Tesla service comments...it redefines the car selling process, and the chaps at Gatwick really impressed me. I especially liked how they answered the question "what am I going to be slightly disappointed about"....very very honest people.
I had a minor issue with the sunroof, and again the service side PROVES they work on the same positive culture...ICE dealers are dead with these guys in play.
Experience so far is simply stunning, and even beats Lexus who I thought had the car sales process licked!!
Enjoy your new toy...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I tried to reply before but it disappeared into a black hole.

Re - AlloyGator - I have ordered the 21" grey turbines so is gunmetal the best choice? I am bound to clip a kerb (its a horrible feeling when you do it)

strider - you early adopters gave us the confidence to follow your lead. Thankfully it looks like your courage paid off. I will try and be patient!
arg - thanks for the advice. I will bear that in mind.
dencon - Not sure if it might be my option choice if you too have ordered a P85D. I did choose the air suspension option along with most things apart from the premium interior. I can live without ambient lighting but I was told that I would get the carbon "yacht floor" if I chose the carbon interior detailing.

My suggestion is to stick w/ black. If the grey's are even slightly different it will really stand out as a 3rd color on the wheel where with the black it blends into the tire.
Actually I have silver on my 21" wheels and scars do not stand out against the silver wheels. The reason I didn't choose black is that paying a lot for low profile tyres,many then make them look larger with the black gator?

in the end, it's personal taste!

Hello Graham,

I am on the wait list for the P85D and mine too is a company car. I have visited Gatwick and agree with all your comments, the dealership feels a very unpretentious group of car enthusiasts rather that the usual car-dealer stereotype. I weekend-hired a P85+ from eVISION/HE Plant/Diggerland in Kent to really get a grip of the car in a real world situation, and couldn't find any issues other than the headroom was a bit tight and the seats a bit flat (the later has been dealt with by the seat option available on the new car). Range was 220 odd miles, and I drove it as I normally do, no special treatment for range extension. I compare the P85+ to my wife's Bentley V8 GTC in terms of performance, the difference being the former takes £100'ish to top up with fuel and £500 odd pa in VED, whereas the Tesla is about £11 from my home socket on peak electricity and nothing for VED. I have a McLaren 12C, and it's performance is terrific. Now, IF the P85D can come close to that (as the limited reviews I have read suggests it can) in terms of acceleration, and offers 4 doors, 5 seats and minimal running costs (no £3k services etc) and business tax savings and write-downs, I believe Tesla will have a true market leading car for virtually all high end markets.

Also, a plus for me is the image (or lack of) that Tesla has, I don't believe pulling up at a Clients' premises in it will cause any bad-feeling or negativity as few people realise what it is, and - when they do - there is a acknowledgement of an intelligent approach to transport. My current daily drive is a Prius for this very reason. My delivery is scheduled for next June.

Also, a plus for me is the image (or lack of) that Tesla has, I don't believe pulling up at a Clients' premises in it will cause any bad-feeling or negativity as few people realise what it is, and - when they do - there is a acknowledgement of an intelligent approach to transport. My current daily drive is a Prius for this very reason. My delivery is scheduled for next June.

An extremely valid point. In fact I've found it a real conversation piece, and have had numerous clients ask for a ride out in the car.

Many are shocked how "cheap" it was (admittedly I only have a 60). I think this is really a factor of how the reviews in the UK have been written, they normally end up with something like "great car but expensive." Yes it isn't a super-mini price, but after company car tax and FYA's, it's not a million miles away from an E class diesel.

I'm sure you will love it, though I'm still more envious of the 12C ;)

Hello Graham,

Scafwell - Yes I agree. I keep seeing a Black P85+ on my way to work and it does strike me how unremarkable a sportscar design it is. That car is black so I have gone with the red with 21" grey turbines to try and give it a bit of "edge". But even the red is quite soft in anything but strong sunlight. But what a car!

Whilst I wait, my current game is to work out the route to many of my trips to clients. I was pleased to see that one of my favourite hotels that I stay at has a charge facility so that client may see me quite regularly!

Lets keep track of our respective delivery dates as we wait - I will be in touch here again when I hear more.

Graham

Not sure which combinations you've seen in the flesh. If you want edgy I'd say multi-coat white with the 21" grey turbines (and of course red calipers) is the way to go.

I went to the Birmingham store opening, and most of the colour choices were covered (lots of owners cars there), and it's amazing the difference between the cars in real life. As good as the design studio is it doesn't quite give you a true sense. A case in point: I love the tan leather in mine, but it was a gamble because none of the cars I'd sat in had that option, however it does make the car feel more spacious (and if I'm honest less "German"). Pretty sure it wouldn't work with the red though, and it wouldn't suit a white car at all.

I'd really prefer a 20" wheel option. The 21s are expensive, eat costly tyres, have built-in kerb magnets, susceptible to pothole damage, hurt ride and range, but look so much better than the 19s which really don't "fill the wheel arches".

When my tyres need replacing I may consider a set of after market 20s, and get winter tyres put on my 19s. Seems to be some choice opening up in that space now, unfortunately none from Tesla, so it raises some warranty concerns which I haven't asked about...

Some examples:
New 20 Tires

Hi Smac

My test drive was in a red P85 with the 21" grey turbines. I loved the look so that was an easy choice. There was also a multicolour white car there which I did not like as much plus I thought it really would show the dirt!

I was advised that the P85D should really have the 21" wheels because of the power involved. Certainly the test drive car had a huge amount of grip and it just looked right. Also, I am not brave enough to go for non-Tesla parts on a new car yet because of the possible warranty issues.

I have gone for the black next gen seats with a the light alcantara ceiling and carbon fibre dashboard. I am told that my car will come with alcantara on the top of the dash and that the car now comes with a carbon yacht floor if you choose the carbon dash.

Graham,

Sounds nice. It is a very personal choice, great you've seen the full cars in the colours. I ordered my car without even seeing one (in any colour) in the flesh, that was a leap of faith!

Seen a fair few now, and in most colour combos you can't really go far wrong.

I'm not a fan of having to go aftermarket either, and would love a halfway house choice from Tesla themselves. Putting staggered tyres like the P85+ on 20" Rims in theory give you the same level of grip, better ride, and lower running costs.

Graham,

Sounds nice. It is a very personal choice, great you've seen the full cars in the colours. I ordered my car without even seeing one (in any colour) in the flesh, that was a leap of faith!

Seen a fair few now, and in most colour combos you can't really go far wrong.

I'm not a fan of having to go aftermarket either, and would love a halfway house choice from Tesla themselves. Putting staggered tyres like the P85+ on 20" Rims in theory give you the same level of grip, better ride, and lower running costs.

There are a few long threads on the tyres and why the 19"s are just as good if not better than the 21" options. The only difference is in looks and wear.