Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Year without Gasoline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just about to hit my 1 year anniversary of Tesla Model S ownership. I have driven over 28,000 miles without 1 drop of gasoline. Regardless of the price of gas, currently $2.50/gallon in my town, my experience has been nothing short of extraordinary. The heads that turn when I drive by, the extremely wonderful driving experience, my now very small carbon footprint, all add up to a year with no regrets, and a "perma-smile" on my face as I drive down the road. One confession, though. I did tap the pedal one (or twice) and top 100MPH for the first time in my 48 years. Could have hit 110-120 easily. This automobile is amazing! Full story to follow, but Tesla Models S85 gets A++ from this owner. It can be a daily driver.

For me, its not so much about the gasoline, but the terrible experience of having to go to gas stations to fill up... hope to have my model s soon so that I can wake up with a full "tank" every morning :)

I filled my car for the last time this week as my Model S is almost here, completed production today!

Will still have to fill the wife's Pilot every now and then, until she gets the EV bug and we spurge for a Model X.

I had to put gas in our beater car today because my wife was driving the Model S. All I could think of while standing at the gas pump was "pumping gas really sucks." Too often my hands end up stinking like gasoline. The weather is not always pleasant. The delay is annoying. And thanks to the "Gas Stations Are Dangerous" thread, I'm more wary about exploding gas stations than I used to be.

I had to put gas in our beater car today because my wife was driving the Model S. All I could think of while standing at the gas pump was "pumping gas really sucks." Too often my hands end up stinking like gasoline. The weather is not always pleasant. The delay is annoying. And thanks to the "Gas Stations Are Dangerous" thread, I'm more wary about exploding gas stations than I used to be.

And at gas stations, it always seems like everyone else is always angry to be there.

I would have to chime in here and concur with the sentiments expressed. I am constantly thinking to myself that all these other cars are being propelled by fire, one of mankind's earliest discoveries, whereas I am being propelled via a high energy electomagnetic field in a device with no reciprocating parts and only a single, silent rotating mechanism. It really is amazing.

I had, what I hope, was my last trip to fill up on gas last night.

It was cold & windy. The car wiper station was of course bone dry with no water to help clean the windows. My car was wet enough that I figured I could wipe the bird droppings off with the squeegee but of course it had no padding on the fabric side so it did nothing. The credit card reader took forever to respond and let me start pumping as a shivered in the wind, and despite being careful I managed to get gasoline dribbled down the side of my car and some hit my shoe.

It'd make for a really great "Well, that's the last time I do that!" experience :)
And if my Model S arrives next week as expected, I shouldn't have to fill up again based on the mileage my little ICE gets before I unload it.

8600 miles into my gas-less driving - will never go back.
Thankfully? still have a minivan to remind me of why.
We will be EV-only next year and our son will be learning to drive in an EV (probably the Leaf).
Its funny, he will be driving in two years and is already complaining about the noise and smell from the ICE cars around us. :cool:

For me, one of the worst aspects of the gas station experience is a recent phenomenon: blaring video ad screens that are installed at the pumps. "Watch these TV shows! Buy these products!" They know you're a captive audience, and even if you stand with your back to the screen, you can't avoid hearing the audio. I initially tried to boycott stations that had installed these monitors (mostly Chevron and Shell), but then more and more stations installed them and avoiding them became harder. Fortunately I haven't been back to a gas station since becoming a Tesla owner in September!

I live in NJ so no self-service, but live 5 miles from a gas station and would routinely come home with the low gas light on. Not anymore. Now, I leave the house with a full tank every day. I drive 200 miles in some days, so I appreciate the self-service at home!

I haven't needed a drop of gasoline in 16 months. That's 400 gallons saved compared to the Prius I drove previously. It's a glorious feeling to have a fully charged car every morning in my garage. It's also a glorious feeling to pull into an available and clean supercharger while the rest of humanity waits in line at a stinky gas station or runs around town finding the cheapest filling station. I see this hazard warning sticker on gas pumps and signs stating that inhaling fumes in a gas station can cause cancer and birth defects... I don't remember seeing anything like that at a supercharger.

I feel so privileged and lucky to have this car. While others may argue over autopilot, D supercars and battery revisions, my car already gives me everything I want - the freedom from gasoline.

I stopped at a gas station recently to wash my windshield. I was appalled and disgusted with the benzine odor! Two years ago I probably would not even have noticed how much the area reeked.

Reminds me of the no-smoking policy in restaurants in Germany in restaurants etc which has been in place for a few years. Before that, you were pretty used tho the smoke even though I always hated it, now I have become even more sensitive and couldn´t imagine eating somewhere with people smoking around.