Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Advice for Destination Charging near Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benjiejr

Technogeekextraordinaire
Nov 20, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Hello All,

I don't have the car yet but hope to very soon and one of the first trips will be from San Antonio to Grapevine (near Dallas) for the family to visit Great Wolf Lodge so please excuse my inexperience. I have talked to the resort and asked if they have on-site EV charging and they do not so I suppose I'll need to find somewhere nearby for destination charging. I've searched several sights (Supercharger.info, EV Trip Planner, PlugShare, ChargePoint, etc.) for ideas and I'm sure I can come up with a plan because I see several options, but just curious if anyone has visited Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine and has some helpful information on where one can charge? Or if it's even necessary based on the following information.

Some things to know that help determine my range (battery, weather, weight, etc.) and which superchargers are open:
  • This is planned for early January 2015.
  • I will be in a P85D.
  • There will be 3 of us in the car plus some luggage.
  • I don't think we plan to drive around Grapevine much.

Some options regarding charging if I stick to only superchargers:
  • I doubt the Denton supercharger will be online and that's approximately 30 miles north (in the opposite direction) so I'm not sure that would be worth the time anyways.
  • I will use the Waco supercharger on the way up, but it's approximately 111 miles from Grapevine, so round trip back to the supercharger would be at a minimum 222 miles if I don't drive around Grapevine. I suppose if I range charge in Waco on the way up, take it easy on the "go" pedal, and don't drive around Grapevine much, I *might* be able to make it back to the Waco supercharger without destination charging. But that is probably pushing it and not really a good idea. A little extra destination charge is probably smart, right?

If you happen to have any suggestions for a rookie like me, I'm all ears. Although some might get frustrated with the extra homework required for an EV road trip, I actually find it fun - sort of like a puzzle or something.

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Ben

I would suggest asking if they have an outdoor 120V outlet that's accessible to the parking area that you could use. In 24 hours you'll get 72 miles which would be more than enough. If they have a 20A outlet rather than 15A that will give you about 5 miles/hour of charging rather than 3. To take advantage of that you will need to buy the 5-20 adapter which is a good idea to have anyway.

EV Trip Planner has a fairly comprehensive database of both conventional and super-chargers that you can view on a map and get details on. If you go to the (new beta version) of the planner at EV Trip Planner and set up your trip (like in Google Maps) it will auto-route you through super-chargers, show you expected energy usage (Rated Miles) and let you display where conventional chargers are along the route (including at your destination). Thousands of Tesla owners are using it - give it a try.

If you're going to Grapevine, Denton would be out of the way anyway. Plugshare shows three HPWCs around Grapevine, one of which is only six miles away from the lodge.

I would suggest asking if they have an outdoor 120V outlet that's accessible to the parking area that you could use. In 24 hours you'll get 72 miles which would be more than enough. If they have a 20A outlet rather than 15A that will give you about 5 miles/hour of charging rather than 3. To take advantage of that you will need to buy the 5-20 adapter which is a good idea to have anyway.

This is a good suggestion. I will call back and ask. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

You could also charge at the Tesla Store at Northpark mall.

Or ask the service center near the Galleria Mall if you could charge there.

Another great idea. I actually started to look into this on PlugShare but was having a hard time locating the HPWC at the mall. I think I just have some settings wrong or something. Thanks for this suggestion. I'm not familiar with the area so not sure how close it is. Will research. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

EV Trip Planner has a fairly comprehensive database of both conventional and super-chargers that you can view on a map and get details on. If you go to the (new beta version) of the planner at EV Trip Planner and set up your trip (like in Google Maps) it will auto-route you through super-chargers, show you expected energy usage (Rated Miles) and let you display where conventional chargers are along the route (including at your destination). Thousands of Tesla owners are using it - give it a try.

Thanks, I didn't know about the beta version. I will look into this! You all have been so helpful!!

- - - Updated - - -

If you're going to Grapevine, Denton would be out of the way anyway. Plugshare shows three HPWCs around Grapevine, one of which is only six miles away from the lodge.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit out of the way too. I'll take a look at that again. I think I had a setting wrong or something and didn't see the HPWCs. Thank you kindly! You all make any range anxiety disappear.

Grapevine has several Blink charging stations & they also have a shuttle that runs between Great Wolf & downtown Grapevine where the chargers are.

I'm also a couple of miles further up the road in Southlake and you're welcome to charge at my place!

BTW, the Service Center is 30 minutes away and Northpark 45, so unless you want to make the drive over there, you're better off just getting a few hours charge at my place.

Last edited:
Grapevine has several Blink charging stations & they also have a shuttle that runs between Great Wolf & downtown Grapevine where the chargers are.

I'm also a couple of miles further up the road in Southlake and you're welcome to charge at my place!

BTW, the Service Center is 30 minutes away and Northpark 45, so unless you want to make the drive over there, you're better off just getting a few hours charge at my place.

What a generous offer! Really appreciated. Sounds like you have given me some good options. I did notice there was a shuttle to downtown but wasn't sure if there was charging nearby; that might work because I could park downtown and get some charge and take the shuttle to Great Wolf, then take it back to retrieve my car after some juice! I did sign up for Blink because it seemed to be prevalent in Dallas (ChargePoint in San Antonio). Service Center sounds like it might be a little bit out of the way; I agree with just snagging some nearby charge since I probably don't need a whole lot to get me back to the supercharger in Waco. Thank you again for all this helpful information and generosity!

What a generous offer! Really appreciated. Sounds like you have given me some good options. I did notice there was a shuttle to downtown but wasn't sure if there was charging nearby; that might work because I could park downtown and get some charge and take the shuttle to Great Wolf, then take it back to retrieve my car after some juice! I did sign up for Blink because it seemed to be prevalent in Dallas (ChargePoint in San Antonio). Service Center sounds like it might be a little bit out of the way; I agree with just snagging some nearby charge since I probably don't need a whole lot to get me back to the supercharger in Waco. Thank you again for all this helpful information and generosity!

You're welcome!

So, the best Grapevine charger is at the Farmers' Market, and is well placed near Grapevine Main Street and the shuttle stop. Grapevine is a lovely town worth a couple hours. But the chargers are sometimes ICEd and they are definitely slower than HPWCs. Here's the Plugshare link: Farmers Market of Grapevine
Farmers Market of Grapevine | Grapevine, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

If you have dual chargers, you will charge about three times faster at an HPWC. So, a couple of hours at a Plugshare member's HPWC might make a whole lot more sense than leaving the car in a parking lot overnight. We're quite popular with folks trying to get back to Waco!

Here's ours:
| Southlake, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I'm farther than bollar from GWL (about 25 miles north on 121), but you're welcome to charge at my HPWC (80 amps) if you like.

I've been to the GWL many times, most recently parking my S in the much less crowded back parking lot (outside of their conference center) to avoid dings. I didn't specifically notice any outlets back there, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some. I find GWL to be very friendly and accommodating. A call to their concierge would probably be beneficial.

You're welcome!

So, the best Grapevine charger is at the Farmers' Market, and is well placed near Grapevine Main Street and the shuttle stop. Grapevine is a lovely town worth a couple hours. But the chargers are sometimes ICEd and they are definitely slower than HPWCs. Here's the Plugshare link: Farmers Market of Grapevine
Farmers Market of Grapevine | Grapevine, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

If you have dual chargers, you will charge about three times faster at an HPWC. So, a couple of hours at a Plugshare member's HPWC might make a whole lot more sense than leaving the car in a parking lot overnight. We're quite popular with folks trying to get back to Waco!

Here's ours:
| Southlake, TX | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Wow! Tons of great info! I did get the dual chargers and your house isn't too far away from what I can tell. What kind of beer or donuts do you like? :p

I've never been to the area so hanging out in Grapevine might be fun since I'm in the area. Sounds like a fun road trip!

Wow! Tons of great info! I did get the dual chargers and your house isn't too far away from what I can tell. What kind of beer or donuts do you like? :p

I've never been to the area so hanging out in Grapevine might be fun since I'm in the area. Sounds like a fun road trip!

All Texas beers. ;)

We've invited North Texas Tesla owners for a tour and tasting at Franconia Brewing Company in McKinney tomorrow morning...

I'm farther than bollar from GWL (about 25 miles north on 121), but you're welcome to charge at my HPWC (80 amps) if you like.

I've been to the GWL many times, most recently parking my S in the much less crowded back parking lot (outside of their conference center) to avoid dings. I didn't specifically notice any outlets back there, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some. I find GWL to be very friendly and accommodating. A call to their concierge would probably be beneficial.

Thanks Rockster! Another generous offer! Really appreciated. It's good to know that I always have plenty of options.

Sounds like that less crowded back parking lot is a good place to park... I'll definitely look for that! And I'll check around for outlets. I did call GWL twice and the 2 people I spoke with didn't seem very familiar with the concept that cars might need a charge while staying there. Maybe I just need to try again and hope for someone different. I didn't worry about it though since it seems I have plenty of ways to get some energy based on all the helpful input from folks on here!

Thanks Rockster! Another generous offer! Really appreciated. It's good to know that I always have plenty of options.

Sounds like that less crowded back parking lot is a good place to park... I'll definitely look for that! And I'll check around for outlets. I did call GWL twice and the 2 people I spoke with didn't seem very familiar with the concept that cars might need a charge while staying there. Maybe I just need to try again and hope for someone different. I didn't worry about it though since it seems I have plenty of ways to get some energy based on all the helpful input from folks on here!

Ask to speak with the property engineer. This person will know if they may have a feasible option. Then speak with the hotel manager and coordinate that they actually make the arrangements available (like cones blocking a specific parking space, etc.).

Ask to speak with the property engineer. This person will know if they may have a feasible option. Then speak with the hotel manager and coordinate that they actually make the arrangements available (like cones blocking a specific parking space, etc.).

Another great suggestion. I didn't know to ask for the "property engineer" - this will come in handy on other future road trips when staying at hotels. I called and left a message and will let you know what I hear back. Thank you again friends.

Tesla NorthPark has multiple HPWCs, but I logged 203V at 56A at most. So yes, the personal HPWCs that are at true 80A will be the fastest. (the mall was pretty cool, though!)

Rick

Last edited:
I also live about 5 miles from the Great Wolf and have an 80A HPWC, just let me know. The new Whole Foods in Colleyville has a chargepoint, but I have not tested it. The others have given you the skinny on all the local chargers in in the GV area.

The Gaylord is just a bit down the road from the GW, I gotta believe they have EV charging, but again if you have dual chargers, nothing within reach besides a SC beats an 80A HPWC.

Last edited:
I also live about 5 miles from the Great Wolf and have an 80A HPWC, just let me know. The new Whole Foods in Colleyville has a chargepoint, but I have not tested it. The others have given you the skinny on all the local chargers in in the GV area.

The Gaylord is just a bit down the road from the GW, I gotta believe they have EV charging, but again if you have dual chargers, nothing within reach besides a SC beats an 80A HPWC.

Thank you for the offer @Redi! I'll "favorite" u on PlugShare like I did the other offers if I can find u.