Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky brakes since day 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat as you. Called SC and he said it's because the brakes are seldom used so there's a layer that builds up that causes the squeaking. Told me to turn regen off once in awhile, speed car up to 40 and then exercise the brakes to get rid of it. Tried it but it didn't really fix it. It was brought into the service center for a separate issue and had them check the brake pads to make sure nothing was stuck under them but the squeaking persists. Should get better in the summer when the rubber isn't hardened by the cold. I agree, it's kind of embarrassing.

I'm in the same boat as you. Called SC and he said it's because the brakes are seldom used so there's a layer that builds up that causes the squeaking. Told me to turn regen off once in awhile, speed car up to 40 and then exercise the brakes to get rid of it. Tried it but it didn't really fix it. It was brought into the service center for a separate issue and had them check the brake pads to make sure nothing was stuck under them but the squeaking persists. Should get better in the summer when the rubber isn't hardened by the cold. I agree, it's kind of embarrassing.

Sorry, but this sounds like a pile of BS. I am sure you touch the brakes every single time you drive the car so the brakes are being used. Something is off if the brakes are squeaking so loud you can hear them a block away. Little squeaks here and there after the car is washed or if you drove home in the rain/snow then parked car overnight are normal. But even then should go away after 1 or 2 times pressing the brake pedal firmly to stop car.

Something needs to be fixed/adjusted/replaced. Just my opinion.

that's BS. I had the same problem and they replaced and upgraded my rotors to heavier ones. problem solved.

I wouldn't say that they squeak every single time. I'm not sure I can be upgraded to the heavier rotors as my vin is pretty high 56867 so I probably already have them. I've noticed that it's intermittent when I stop at a stoplight but it probably happens 75% of the time when I stop after going in reverse. I'm going to wait until the weather isn't freezing and wet before I make a bigger fuss about it.

that's BS. I had the same problem and they replaced and upgraded my rotors to heavier ones. problem solved.

Same here. Had the harmonic squeal for a year. Did the low-regen conditioning, slamming, etc - it never went away; it was quite embarrassing having it echo through the corporate garage.

The SC upgraded the rotors and it went away instantly, never a peep again.

The SC originally swore "the new rotors won't fix it" and that they're "only available for 21's not 19's"... sensing BS, I pressed them and they did it as a "one-time courtesy".

So then the rotors have nothing to do with build order? The 21s have different rotors regardless? Ugh, I have to say I'm not looking forward to that conversation with the SC. Milford, CT is not super enthusiastic about doing things...

So then the rotors have nothing to do with build order? The 21s have different rotors regardless? Ugh, I have to say I'm not looking forward to that conversation with the SC. Milford, CT is not super enthusiastic about doing things...

I don't think it's done on the production line for any cars so has nothing to do with build order etc. It's a TSB that's applied afterwards at service centers when customers complain the problems. The TSB states for cars with 21s only. Yet cars with 19s exhibit the same problem and the upgraded heavier rotors does solve the problem for those too.

I've had squeal/screech/burp/chirp when coming to a complete stop since day 1 back in 2013. The SC in Costa Mesa said the new rotors would fix it (I have 21's), but the rears were on back order. When they finally "replaced" them they didn't actually replace the rears so back to the SC I went. Fast forward many service visits across 2 other service centers, to 6 or so months ago. By now I'm quite a bit more adamant that a solution be found as the noise remained, even after they replaced the brake pads and rotors again. This time the service adviser (now at Culver City) assured me it would go away if I drive 2,500mi with regen on low. After over 5000mi with regen on low, the noise remains.
It's thoroughly embarrassing, especially coupled with my condenser fan sequel and sunroof stutter. Soon as work slows down, I'll be taking it in. Again.

Just got back from the Costa Mesa SC. I was told all the same things: it's normal, try less regen. I think I've been had. How is it acceptable for a luxury car at this price point to have squeaky brakes!? Regardless of metallic content of the disk, or infrequency of use, or whatever else. My question is does every model S have this problem? It looks like the answer is no. So that would mean this is a defect that needs to be corrected.

No more squeaks on my brakes in 2.5 years than with any other disk brake equipped car. Very rarely there is a squeak when it rains, but that's the same as other cars. And I use mostly regen.