Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom 21" wheel change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i did not talked with the services centre but the sales only. They told me the warranty for the air suspension MAY not be covered if the damages is due to the aftermarket wheel. It is more like a disclaimer.

So, your version is also only apply to air and should be covered if same rim size are used. Anything mentioned the cost for tow truck?

No, he did not mentioned about the necessity for same size of wheel. I clarify with him that change of wheel does not mean the warranty will be affected, but MAY. He did not mention anything about tow truck.

I will check with them again today.

Did you collect your car already?

I ask the sale guy when I tested the car and he did say that if I change the wheels they will not fix or change for free under the warranty which make sense. All car brand has this rule so what our BMW guys do is change it back to stock before going to the service centre.

Im sure some Tesla member will have the stock wheel in there house and can borrow it for the day to go the service centre .
That what our BMW club do for many parts that have been mod like brakes suspension.....

I ask the sale guy when I tested the car and he did say that if I change the wheels they will not fix or change for free under the warranty which make sense. All car brand has this rule so what our BMW guys do is change it back to stock before going to the service centre.

Im sure some Tesla member will have the stock wheel in there house and can borrow it for the day to go the service centre .
That what our BMW club do for many parts that have been mod like brakes suspension.....

I talked to the services people. They quoted from the warranty manual that replacement with aftermarket components may void the warranty of the parts connected with the replaced components. For example, if you change the wheel, then the connecting parts such as air suspension, drive, shaft,... will be affected. Not the roof or the touch screen. This is the general rules, but they say they will also check the car if there is any problem and in case they find out that the damages is due to the aftermarket component, they won't fix it.

For me, this is ridiculous. wheel is the most common parts you will change for your car. I doubt if this policy will apply the same in US. I ordered the stock 19" wheel and plan to change the aftermarket ones. Finger crossed.

I talked to the services people. They quoted from the warranty manual that replacement with aftermarket components may void the warranty of the parts connected with the replaced components. For example, if you change the wheel, then the connecting parts such as air suspension, drive, shaft,... will be affected. Not the roof or the touch screen. This is the general rules, but they say they will also check the car if there is any problem and in case they find out that the damages is due to the aftermarket component, they won't fix it.

For me, this is ridiculous. wheel is the most common parts you will change for your car. I doubt if this policy will apply the same in US. I ordered the stock 19" wheel and plan to change the aftermarket ones. Finger crossed.

Their alignment camber setting etc for 19" or 21", air or coil suspension are all in different settings. Vehicle label on door side also marked clearly the tyre size you ordered...... I was thinking to order 19s and replace with forged 21s with same stock spec , but I don't think Tesla will help to change the alignment setting from 19 to 21" unless you upgrade to the stock 21" from them after. Unlike in US, I doubt those local alignment shops in HK have the correct alignment setting and experience for Tesla, and since premature tyres wear are commonly found in a Model S, I may just simply order the stock 21" and keep the boring looks. Sometimes just don't have time to swap the stock rims back before take the car to SC.

Their alignment camber setting etc for 19" or 21", air or coil suspension are all in different settings. Vehicle label on door side also marked clearly the tyre size you ordered...... I was thinking to order 19s and replace with forged 21s with same stock spec , but I don't think Tesla will help to change the alignment setting from 19 to 21" unless you upgrade to the stock 21" from them after. Unlike in US, I doubt those local alignment shops in HK have the correct alignment setting and experience for Tesla, and since premature tyres wear are commonly found in a Model S, I may just simply order the stock 21" and keep the boring looks. Sometimes just don't have time to swap the stock rims back before take the car to SC.

but they even don't allow you to replace the aftermarket wheel with the same size of wheel and tyre (19" to 19" or 21" to 21") as tesla's.

In the US it is illegal to void any warranty for swapping any components with aftermarket parts. They would need to prove without a doubt that any failure was directly due to the aftermarket part and only that affected part would be voided. When it comes to wheels if they are matching specs then there's just no way they could void any warranties. If they refuse to service you just sue them since what they'd be doing is clearly illegal.

The shop I use for alignment has deal with 4 model S already, and they actually have the stock spec in the alignment machine (Hunter).

did you change your stock wheel?

- - - Updated - - -

In the US it is illegal to void any warranty for swapping any components with aftermarket parts. They would need to prove without a doubt that any failure was directly due to the aftermarket part and only that affected part would be voided. When it comes to wheels if they are matching specs then there's just no way they could void any warranties. If they refuse to service you just sue them since what they'd be doing is clearly illegal.

Tesla is the only one car manufacturer sell directly in HK. I don't think they will have different policy in US and HK or other part of the world. I will write to Tesla US for clarification.

did you change your stock wheel?

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla is the only one car manufacturer sell directly in HK. I don't think they will have different policy in US and HK or other part of the world. I will write to Tesla US for clarification.

I dont remember ive read somewhere that wheel alignment is included in Tesla US, but I have checked with HK and confirmed that that will charge around $2xxx and not free.

I dont remember ive read somewhere that wheel alignment is included in Tesla US, but I have checked with HK and confirmed that that will charge around $2xxx and not free.

i will accept if tesla charge for realignment after wheel change. But that's not the case.

Why model s needs wheel alignment? What exactly it is? I don't aware mecedez or bmw need wheel alignment after wheel replacement.

Tesla is the only one car manufacturer sell directly in HK. I don't think they will have different policy in US and HK or other part of the world. I will write to Tesla US for clarification.[/QUOTE]

I ask the sale guy and he did say it was OK to change wheels but if any thing goes wrong on with the suspension or other parts to do with the wheel they will not warranty that area.

- - - Updated - - -

2k for alignment that's mad.
outside cost about 800hkd

Love to see how much they charge for fixing parts after warranty!!! Must be arm and a leg.

- - - Updated - - -

all car need alignment after wheel replacement to make shore 100% the tyre will not wear out on 1 side. and the car handing will be much better too.

The appearance of the stock wheel is very personal. I was just thinking to order the std 19" and run for one year then change to some higher quality 20 or 21" wheels instead of paying $35K in the beginning for 21" upgrade . I can buy a better set of wheels and tyres with that budget. The stock wheel weight around 36 pounds and a bit heavy compare to other forged wheel around 23 pounds, which save 50 pounds in total and hope to gain more mileage as well. If choosing a right 20" , the cost of the tyre is even 30-40% less than the 21s but still give you the performance and better grip vs 19s.

i don't mind to pay others for the new alignment ; however, if the warranty is voided, I do need to think about it .