Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After market wheels in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked into it. Will the SC still rotate your tires or change tires for you if the wheels are not OEM?

No they are not permitted. And if you have the prepaid annual service they also don't cover the front end alignment.
We are already driving the sweetest ride made. 98% of the non-Tesla owners can't tell the difference in OEM or non-OEM wheels. I simply don't believe after market wheels are worth the cost in property and lost service.

No they are not permitted. And if you have the prepaid annual service they also don't cover the front end alignment.
We are already driving the sweetest ride made. 98% of the non-Tesla owners can't tell the difference in OEM or non-OEM wheels. I simply don't believe after market wheels are worth the cost in property and lost service.

I was out today at the SC for my annual service. I had the chance to ask some questions about OEM and aftermarket wheels and tires. I also was wrong about some of the info that I put out earlier, My mistake. Shame on me. Tsk tsk, best to ask before posting.

The SC can perform a front end alignment on a Tesla with after market wheels both under prepaid and regular paid annual service. However, while they will do their best to align the front end, they can not accept responsibility for a poor alignment if the after market wheels are the cause of a problem. Example of another problem quoted to me, "If after alignment, the owner was driving and a wheel broke, the SC can not accept responsibility for the damage. We can't guarantee a wheel we did not support."

If you have OEM wheels, the SC can (of course) sell and mount tires for you.
If you have after market wheels, the SC can not mount OEM tires you bring or sell you OEM tires and mount them.

If you bring your own tires, they must be OEM or TM approved manufacturer and model if you wish for the SC to install them on your OEM wheels. Say that again.
OEM tires are brand and model of tires that Tesla has previously delivered on the car.
The SC charge for mounting your OEM or TM approved tires on OEM wheels is $50 per wheel.

Not every tire even the correct size is suited for use on a Tesla.
TM approved brand and model are a tire manufacturer and model of tire that Tesla approves for use on the car (may or may not have been delivered on the car previously).
If you take tires to the SC and request (pay) the SC to install TM non-approved tires even on OEM wheels, the SC is not permitted by TM to perform that install.
If you want to know if a manufacturer tire and model are approved, its recommended you inquire to TM before the purchase.

I've tried to ask the most common questions regarding after market wheels and tires. Even if its covered or explained here, its always a very good idea to check with the SC regarding your specific situation or question.

Apologies for confusion from previous posts. Live and learn.

I was out today at the SC for my annual service. I had the chance to ask some questions about OEM and aftermarket wheels and tires. I also was wrong about some of the info that I put out earlier, My mistake. Shame on me. Tsk tsk, best to ask before posting.

The SC can perform a front end alignment on a Tesla with after market wheels both under prepaid and regular paid annual service. However, while they will do their best to align the front end, they can not accept responsibility for a poor alignment if the after market wheels are the cause of a problem. Example of another problem quoted to me, "If after alignment, the owner was driving and a wheel broke, the SC can not accept responsibility for the damage. We can't guarantee a wheel we did not support."

If you have after market wheels, the SC can not mount OEM tires you bring or sell you OEM tires and mount them.

If you bring your own tires, they must be OEM or TM approved manufacturer and model if you wish for the SC to install them on your OEM wheels. Say that again.
OEM tires are brand and model of tires that Tesla has previously delivered on the car.
The SC charge for mounting your OEM or TM approved tires on OEM wheels is $50 per wheel.

TM approved brand and model are a tire manufacturer and model of tire that Tesla approves for use on the car (may or may not have been delivered on the car previously).
If you take tires to the SC and request (pay) the SC to install TM non-approved tires even on OEM wheels, the SC is not permitted by TM to perform that install.
If you want to know if a manufacturer tire and model are approved, its recommended you inquire to TM before the purchase.

I've tried to ask the most common questions regarding after market wheels and tires. Even if its covered or explained here, its always a very good idea to check with the SC regarding your specific situation or question.

Thanks for this, Akikiki. One question remaining though. If you buy an aftermarket tire that's not OEM but have it installed at another shop, will Tesla still perform an alignment on your car? I believe I did this myself last time, but I don't know if I'm just recollecting this wrong (or perhaps they kinda just did it and ignored the rules?). I bought the cheaper Hankooks, which I have to say have not disappointed though I don't do a lot of aggressive cornering (Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2).

Thanks for this, Akikiki. One question remaining though. If you buy an aftermarket tire that's not OEM but have it installed at another shop, will Tesla still perform an alignment on your car? I believe I did this myself last time, but I don't know if I'm just recollecting this wrong (or perhaps they kinda just did it and ignored the rules?). I bought the cheaper Hankooks, which I have to say have not disappointed though I don't do a lot of aggressive cornering (Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2).

Its always going to be best to call and find out exactly what they can do, because (and other stuff) things are going to change based on their experience with situations that have not yet occurred. But right now, yes, they would perform the alignment, however non OEM tires are going to inherit the same exception as after market wheels. Specifically, the SC would not accept responsibility for guaranteeing a perfect alignment because the non OEM tires could present a problem they can not compensate for.

I seem to remember seeing "OEM" in the actual tread of the OEM tires. not just brand/model being the same to differentiate the ones sold from a tire company vs sold by tesla.

I seem to remember seeing "OEM" in the actual tread of the OEM tires. not just brand/model being the same to differentiate the ones sold from a tire company vs sold by tesla.

dsmith, I don't understand your comment/question. What I mean is like the Hankooks that StephenM was using. Telsa Motors may have approved for use the Model S, but those didn't come as OEM.

dsmith, I don't understand your comment/question. What I mean is like the Hankooks that StephenM was using. Telsa Motors may have approved for use the Model S, but those didn't come as OEM.

I was just commenting that the new un-mounted tires I saw at the SC (continentals I think) had the letters "OEM" in the tread of the tires. if you purchase the "approved" tires from another source it will not have those letters in the tread.(obviously) I guess it only means something to those of us who got the (expired or soon to be expired) tire warranty. (I need to check and see how long it was)

Last edited:
I was just commenting that the new un-mounted tires I saw at the SC (continentals I think) had the letters "OEM" in the tread of the tires. if you purchase the "approved" tires from another source it will not have those letters in the tread.(obviously) I guess it only means something to those of us who got the (expired or soon to be expired) tire warranty. (I need to check and see how long it was)

Ahhh, makes sense now.