Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance seat upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received a call from the factory offering to upgrade my seats to Performance in Grey; for free.

Are you referring to the now discontinued "Performance" seats that only differed from the standard seats by the color of the stitching along the sides, I think, and we're an option?

I assume you are not referring to the new seat design that comes standard with the P85D and features improved headrests and more supportive side bolsters.

I ask because it appears that one post on this topic assumes you refer to the new improved seats, and another post assume you are referring to the discontinued older seats. I think you mean the discontinued seats, correct?

Are you referring to the now discontinued "Performance" seats that only differed from the standard seats by the color of the stitching along the sides, I think, and we're an option?

The wording from Tesla is "the New Performance Leather Seats Upgrade (At no additional cost to you)."

If the word New wasn't included it would be straightforward that this is indeed the Performance seat, not the Next Generation Seats.

On the TM forums, another buyer contacted his DS and confirmed this upgrade is NOT the Next Generation Seats.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/new-performance-leather-seats-upgrade

Even so, it's a nice upgrade at no cost.

I think the word New from Tesla means they are in new condition, not the novelty meaning of the word - else they would have called the seats "next-generation", not "performance".

As far as I can tell, performance seats always referred to the leather seats with alcantara bolsters and colored piping. Tesla has not yet referred to the next-generation Recaro seats as "performance" (although they truly deserve than name IMHO!)

I suspect this also may be being driven by the issue with P85D seats. If Tesla is delivering P85D vehicles with the standard leather seats (as evidenced by some comments to that effect in the P85D thread). Then that may be the cause of the lack of seats. So far everyone saying they've received this offer had the grey seats. I'd guess the grey seats are the least ordered interior color, so that might drive a shortage of them if the P85D eats up the supply.

Last edited:
@Ssssly, thanks, it sounds like what you were told indicates the truly new generation seats, but what the other person was told were the old Performance seats. So I'm still confused!

Received confirmation today from DS that I will get the Performance seat upgrade for free. He also reiterated that the NGS are only available on the P85D.

Also received confirmation that my car is complete and being prepared for delivery.

Let the sleepless nights begin..