Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Drove the P85D and I still want the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nevek

Overt Member
Apr 30, 2014
Seattle
I had a chance to drive the Model S P85D at Seattle Westlake today. It had just been delivered and the staff was excited. I actually declined the offer at first, since I was afraid it might make me order one if I drove it! The wait for the X is getting old, and WA tax breaks go away in 6 months without legislative action. That is a big deal at our almost 10% sales tax rate.

As great as the car is, it made me realize I really don't want a sedan. I have a 2 seater AMG roadster for fun, and the space, height and carrying capacity of the X are still what I'm after in an EV. Surprisingly, driving the P85D confirmed that decision and didn't weaken it.

I want all the great things in the S, along with everything new we expect from the X, and a few interesting colors and interior options. Here's hoping they get X line rolling soon!

Boo... You big SUV lovers don't know what you are missing :p

what being stuck behind them trying to see around?

- - - Updated - - -

I like the contrast from small to big. Nice to have choices! The X should be a little less lumbering than my Yukon.

Hope so, that is specifically what I was thinking of
or maybe it is tahoes and burbans that get in the way

I had a chance to drive the Model S P85D at Seattle Westlake today. It had just been delivered and the staff was excited. I actually declined the offer at first, since I was afraid it might make me order one if I drove it! The wait for the X is getting old, and WA tax breaks go away in 6 months without legislative action. That is a big deal at our almost 10% sales tax rate.

As great as the car is, it made me realize I really don't want a sedan. I have a 2 seater AMG roadster for fun, and the space, height and carrying capacity of the X are still what I'm after in an EV. Surprisingly, driving the P85D confirmed that decision and didn't weaken it.

I want all the great things in the S, along with everything new we expect from the X, and a few interesting colors and interior options. Here's hoping they get X line rolling soon!

I'm about a mile away. Maybe I should walk on over. Did it have the new seats front and back?

I'm not an SUV lover but want to be able to get into the car without gymnastics. I was finally able to get into the demo Model S at the Tesla store but it was a challenge.

This is an interesting thought. I have friends (and even my wife) who find it difficult getting in and out of my Model S. To be fair, the same was true of my Cadillac CTS. They seem to prefer stepping up and in to the car rather than squatting down as you do getting into a sedan or coupe. I think this is a valid point and a significant factor in choosing a vehicle. Hopefully no more delays to the Model X so that Tesla can capitalize on this.

Yes, it has the new seats. I put a couple of (upside down) photos in the Model S production and delivery thread that show the front ones. Genny would be happy to see you.

Did the rear seats seem to provide more head room to those in the back seat? That's the reason my wife nixed buying a MS, since our 19 y/o son's head was almost touching the headliner. Can't wait to get the X P85 or hopefully an X P###!

Did the rear seats seem to provide more head room to those in the back seat? That's the reason my wife nixed buying a MS, since our 19 y/o son's head was almost touching the headliner. Can't wait to get the X P85 or hopefully an X P###!
Anyone buying an S should get the pano roof, if for nothing else than the additional inch or two of headroom in the back.

I can't say absolutely, but my impression is they are the same height as the old ones. If there is a difference, I don't think it is substantial. The new P85D demos seem to be flowing into showrooms now, so you should be able to check it out soon.

You would really dislike the Roadster then!
Yeah, I had a Lotus Elise and sometimes had to put my hands on the pavement to pull myself out if I had the roof on. Needless to say, I didn't drive it much with the roof on. My understanding is the Tesla Roadster is a bit roomer than the Elise and they lowered the door sills, but it still needs personal flexibility.

Yeah, I had a Lotus Elise and sometimes had to put my hands on the pavement to pull myself out if I had the roof on. Needless to say, I didn't drive it much with the roof on. My understanding is the Tesla Roadster is a bit roomer than the Elise and they lowered the door sills, but it still needs personal flexibility.

Yeah. It is better than Elise but that's not saying much. Very difficult car for most to get in and out especially with top on.

That's an interesting reason. Sounds like she's expecting your son to live with you until he's 35. Hope you don't want your basement back. :biggrin:

Pano roof is a must with anyone approaching 6' in the back seat of a Model S.

I'm 6' tall, and my son is getting there at 15yrs...every generation eats better than the last... ;-)

As for the back seat, it's only OK compared to my compact SUV (GLK), the head room in the GLK is far better (being a box), but there is clearly more shoulder room in the Tesla.

The Model X certainly is something my family is looking forward to, as it would suit the multi-week summer road trips we take.