Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn Signal Stalk Position Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I saw another thread on this, but can't seem to find it.

I'm currently saving for a Model S (I want a X, but I'm also impatient).

Anyway, one thing that drove me nuts (and about the only thing) during the test drive was the position of the turn signal stalk.

I've read that Tesla (or Benz rather) fixed this sometime mid 2014.

Since I'm not in a position to buy a new Model S, and will be buying used, is there anything I can look for, other than asking people to send me a photo of the steering wheel?

something in the VIN? a built after date?

Thanks!

I'm trying to find a 2013/14, 85k, tech package, around $65-75k. Must be black on black.

I'm finding several sellers looking to sell because they want the AWD one.

I saw another thread on this, but can't seem to find it.

I'm currently saving for a Model S (I want a X, but I'm also impatient).

Anyway, one thing that drove me nuts (and about the only thing) during the test drive was the position of the turn signal stalk.

I've read that Tesla (or Benz rather) fixed this sometime mid 2014.

Since I'm not in a position to buy a new Model S, and will be buying used, is there anything I can look for, other than asking people to send me a photo of the steering wheel?

something in the VIN? a built after date?

Thanks!

I'm trying to find a 2013/14, 85k, tech package, around $65-75k. Must be black on black.

I'm finding several sellers looking to sell because they want the AWD one.
The change to Model S vehicles were pretty recent. The deliveries of the new stalks began in mid-september. They were roughly introduced with the new autopilot hardware. If the vehicle in question has the front facing camera and front radar, the car will have the new stalks. If you get a picture of the front of the car, if there is the small rectangle for the front facing radar it would be the biggest giveaway that the car is equipped with autopilot hardware.
As seen here:
Pt7ET0I.png

note: there was a very brief moment in time (like a few weeks) where vehicles were coming off the production line without the autopilot hardware but with the switched stalks. You would need to get a photo of the steering column itself for the actual confirmation.

If you get a picture of the front of the car, if there is the small rectangle for the front facing radar it would be the biggest giveaway that the car is equipped with autopilot hardware.

Um, those quite clearly look like circles, not rectangles. Are we looking at the same thing?

I never got used to those cut outs that MS with parking sensors had. Is that the same tech that's powering autopilot?

---

Oops. My bad. I see the rectangle below the nose cone now.

It's going to be a while until a Late September build falls into my price range... but it may line up with a fall 2015 purchase.

Anyone retro fit just the stalks? I can't imagine it would be too cost prohibitive.

I'm all for improving design, but when you switch between cars (mine, my other one, wifes, rentals, etc)... some thing... like you know... the BRAKES... the GAS (electron) pedal... the wheel. and the turn signals... should stay the same...

Thanks for the info guys. I'm in PA, but have to shop across the US to find what I'm looking for. The plan is to fly there, buy the car, and road trip it home via super chargers :)

Anyone retro fit just the stalks? I can't imagine it would be too cost prohibitive.

I'm all for improving design, but when you switch between cars (mine, my other one, wifes, rentals, etc)... some thing... like you know... the BRAKES... the GAS (electron) pedal... the wheel. and the turn signals... should stay the same...

Tesla will not do steering wheel retrofits.

Yes that now discontinued steering wheel stalk layout is different from most, but not all, other cars. I got used to it but it took awhile.

I'll be honest, I came from driving with the old style Mercedes stalks and I actually preferred them. The cruise control stalk was in a much more natural location. I got the new stalks on my Model S and I got used to it with an hour. I'm sure if you just purchase a vehicle with the old stalks, you'll get used to it in no time at all and can switch back and forth between vehicles without any issues. There are some great deals right now on older non-autopilot inventory models so it's something to consider.

I looked on auto trader for you, and sorry, it looks like there isn't an S85 black on black with tech package under 75k.

However, I found an S60 that doesn't have autopilot but has the upgraded turn signal stalks. The dealership does do shipping too.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...LACK&searchRadius=0&listingId=386093996&Log=0

I also found a 2014 S85 without the new turn signal stalks, but meets your criteria, and is under $75,000. The dealership does shipping as well.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...LACK&searchRadius=0&listingId=383788259&Log=0

Sorry man. I looked, and looked everywhere. You might have to do some sacrificing.

You'll get used to either one. I suggest you not make your purchasing decision on this, although to each their own.

Case in point: I have 35k miles on the old stalk and 3,500 miles on the new stalk. I disliked the old stalk for a long time. Then I got used to it. With the new stalk, I disliked it initally, but am starting to get used to it.

The brain has a remarkable ability to adapt. You too will get used to whatever configuration you have.

Just my humble opinion.

as much as I'd like autopilot, if it came down to used at a $20-$30,000 savings... I'd have to skip it.

I would like the AWD though, that's for sure. But again, I can take a Ford Escape anytime it snows here in PA... I'd rather someone hit me in that than my S...

I looked on auto trader for you, and sorry, it looks like there isn't an S85 black on black with tech package under 75k.

However, I found an S60 that doesn't have autopilot but has the upgraded turn signal stalks. The dealership does do shipping too.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...LACK&searchRadius=0&listingId=386093996&Log=0

I also found a 2014 S85 without the new turn signal stalks, but meets your criteria, and is under $75,000. The dealership does shipping as well.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...LACK&searchRadius=0&listingId=383788259&Log=0

Sorry man. I looked, and looked everywhere. You might have to do some sacrificing.

Thanks, or some waiting :(

but who wants to wait!

It's gotta be a 85. That way I know I'm getting supercharger enabled and I need it for the distance...

I didn't like the turn stalk location at first but now prefer it, as the turn stalk is right where I keep my left hand when driving. I drove a loaner earlier this week with the new steering wheel and didn't like it as much.
But - you'll get used to it either way.

You'll get used to either one. I suggest you not make your purchasing decision on this, although to each their own.

The brain has a remarkable ability to adapt. You too will get used to whatever configuration you have.

Pretty much this. After a week, you won't realize your brain is making the switch for you, without thinking about it. We have four different cars, and I don't get any one confused as to where the stalks are.

Just buy the best car you can that has the features you want. Don't sweat the small stuff.

You will get used to either. But the new stalks look so much more 21st century.
Similar design type of all stalks and symetric (instead of a bunch of ugly shaped, all different stalks sticking out at ramdom angles)

Would love to retrofit. Was thinking what would happen if I would just buy the Mercedes part and stick it under the steering wheel instead.

But the problem is to get the S in service mode or completely powered off so that I do not create error messages while (un)mounting.
And if errors will occur what will the Tesla techs says when I come in to the SC?

Anyone any ideas for a retrofit?