Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question about paint coatings re: warranty and autopilot sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Does anyone here know if having an after-market clearcoat coating like CQuartz Finest would have any impact on the Tesla paint warranty? I tried to call and they seem to be a bit unsure. I suppose any kind of after-market paint treatment could potentially void the warranty, but who knows… any thoughts on that?

Also I'm wondering if coatings like CQuartz Finest (or Opti-Coat Pro or Gtechniq Crystal Serum, etc.) could affect the functioning of the ultrasonic sensors and/or if windshield coatings could affect the camera sensor… any ideas?

thanks

EDIT: Ok, the SC said that paint is just part of the "4 year 50k mile warranty"… but of course if it is damaged by a detailer that is not covered.

So I guess it is up to each owner to decide if an after-market coating is "safe" for their vehicle or not.

And about coatings affecting the ultrasonic sensors, I think I saw at least 1 detailer say that it shouldn't… but… who really knows. I suppose one can test it by seeing if parking sensors seems to act any differently after having a coating applied. I'm assuming they still work fine since many have had it done and I haven't seen any comments…. One idea was to not cover the sensors with the coating, but I don't know if installers do that (avoid the sensors) or not.

Last edited:
Only speaking for CQuartz Finest and Modesta, they are semi-permanent coatings that can be removed if one chooses. If you take your Tesla to a reputable detailer, he/she should be very knowledgable in paint correction and coating applications. I don't see how this will affect the warranty in any way. It's no different than waxing or sealing a car.

Nano coatings are probably 2-5 microns in thickness and usually optically clear. This should not have any affect on sensors. We've done many Teslas, close to 100, and have coated almost every one of them...no issues to date.

Great questions and I hope this helps.

Hi MoeMistry,

Thanks very much for the thoughtful and informative reply :). It was actually some of your posts that helped to convince me to give CQuartz Finest a try. I have an appt. with someone who I feel is one of the best detailers in the DC / MD / VA area. He also has done I think over 100 Teslas and confirmed exactly what you said.

I put a ton of time (weeks) into researching the different coatings and the backgrounds of several detailers in this area. At first I was leaning a bit toward Gtechniq Crystal Serum due to gloss and potential longevity. But in the end I've settled on CQuartz Finest. I prefer to go with a more well-known, tested quantity on my new Model S.

I know that one can "get by" with sealants or waxing, but I just feel a car like this deserves better protection. Today I was very gently removing a minor bird bomb from my 2 week old paint and even that very gentle wiping led to a few very shallow swirl-like trails... amazing how sensitive paint is! I know those will be gone after the new-car polish / prep. So in any case, having CQuartz Finest protecting my amazingly gorgeous paint job will give some peace of mind and also enhance the beauty / enjoyment.

I can see how very clear "glasslike" coatings should play well with the camera sensor behind the windshield. With the ultrasonic parking sensors, I assume it's "sound-vibration" that has to get transmitted, so optical clarity probably does not matter as much, but I can see how the "hardness" and thin-ness (a few microns, as you say) should enable ultrasonic transmission ok. Preserving Autopilot functionality could be kinda important ;).

Yup it makes sense that hundreds of satisfied Tesla owners probably indicates all should be fine...

Anyway... not to be too long-winded, but thanks for your help. It is so great that there are some really knowledgeable folks on this forum who share their wisdom / experience. We have you with detailing knowledge and FlasherZ with electrical stuff, and several others in other areas. This is a great community. :)

Matt

Only speaking for CQuartz Finest and Modesta, they are semi-permanent coatings that can be removed if one chooses. If you take your Tesla to a reputable detailer, he/she should be very knowledgable in paint correction and coating applications. I don't see how this will affect the warranty in any way. It's no different than waxing or sealing a car.

Nano coatings are probably 2-5 microns in thickness and usually optically clear. This should not have any affect on sensors. We've done many Teslas, close to 100, and have coated almost every one of them...no issues to date.

Great questions and I hope this helps.

Last edited: