Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europeans want to rent a Model S for a coast to coast road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

We'll be having our summer vacation in the US in 2015 and would really like to do a road trip from the west to the east coast with a Model S 85.

Is there a rental company that could help us out? I've been in contact with Hertz but that's a no go.

We're not complete newbies, having already rented one the past summer in Europe and loved every second with it.

Regards,
Philippe.

This will be quite the endeavor! 3500 miles one way without too many deviations and two weeks are almost necessary to enjoy stops along the way unless you are just going to charge through. To rent a private owner vehicle you'd have to find someone willing to have 7000 miles of round trip mileage and the ability to drive the car or have it shipped home. Given that Tesla knocks down their demo vehicles by $1/mile this might cost $7000 to $10,000 if the owner is trying to stay whole. I will love to hear how this turns out!

This will be quite the endeavor! 3500 miles one way without too many deviations and two weeks are almost necessary to enjoy stops along the way unless you are just going to charge through. To rent a private owner vehicle you'd have to find someone willing to have 7000 miles of round trip mileage and the ability to drive the car or have it shipped home. Given that Tesla knocks down their demo vehicles by $1/mile this might cost $7000 to $10,000 if the owner is trying to stay whole. I will love to hear how this turns out!

Of course we will not be trailblazing and will take two weeks. :)

I'm afraid it will turn out that we'll just rent from Hertz and do a round trip to San Francisco. :-/

I think that CmdrThor's idea of buying a used Tesla and then reselling it at the end of the trip may be the most reasonable solution. Touring America by Tesla can be a great experience, I did all 50 states this past summer with my dog.

Interestingly, I'm now considering touring Europe next summer in a Tesla Model S. For that trip I would buy a used Model S and then resell it at the trip's conclusion.