Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australia Charging FUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://archive.today/QnHtv (Original URL: No Cookies | Herald Sun)

A few notable points:

• Teslas "cannot be recharged via a normal power point", and they require a $10000 "special charger" with possible $50000 substation upgrades
  • Charging at 40 amps requires more power than a household power supply can provide
  • The power upgrade "may not even be approved"
  • "Only one unique charging station" with no mention of compatibility

I'm speechless.

What a terrible article,

Yeah, if you use the airconditioning, your range will be halved. What a joke.

One thing I don't understand, Australian outlets are 240V and 10A. Why isn't there an adaptor for the UMC that can take advantage of this? Still would be better than the 110v and 12A we get in the USA.

(I moved from Aus to SoCal for my Tesla. Plan not to go back for the near future)

I don't know if Joshua Dowling was at the Tesla Launch last night but there was an awful lot of people there so I don't know where he gets his 50 orders figure from.
Focusing on the process and potential problems of adding an extra load to your electricity supply seems an odd story line. I doubt anyone has written a similar piece about the perils of installing air conditioning.
My installation was close to a worst case scenario requiring a new supply including a new meter and about 12 metre cable run and it cost me $3,500.
Currently Tesla is still having the mobile connector certified for Australian use but will be delivering it in Q1 2015, so currently it's true that you can't charge your Model S from any Australian socket but that will only be for a short time. In the mean time all Model S owners in Australia will receive an HPWC instead. So he is generating FUD from that situation.
Perhaps Joshua was just looking for any negative piece that would make his advertisers happy. Car dealers are still big buyers of ads in newspapers.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly, another Rupert Murdoch/News Limited outlet. But this is pretty blatent, even for them.
(If someone's wondering: News Limited was renamed News Corp Australia following the listing of the new News Corp on 1 July 2013.)

...] News Corp Australia has nearly three-quarters of daily metropolitan newspaper circulation [in Australia] [...

[2001 figure (!) (My edit.)]

Source: News Corp Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia... So take it for what it's worth...

Last edited: