Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newark Supercharger to Paramus New Jersey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jrreno

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2013
Sarasota , Florida
We will be traveling north soon and will be using the Newark and Paramus SpCs. Anyone have any advice on the best route to take between these two? I don't care about paying tolls if the traffic and road is better. Thanks!

We will be traveling north soon and will be using the Newark and Paramus SpCs. Anyone have any advice on the best route to take between these two? I don't care about paying tolls if the traffic and road is better. Thanks!

This is not something you can answer with any certainty.
The only question you can answer with certainty is best route with no traffic.

We just traveled this route last week. Skipped Paramus (but drove right past it) and went to Darien, CT.

We took 95, GW bridge was brutal traffic, so we hopped on 17 to the Garden State Parkway and went right by Paramus on the way to the Tappan Zee bridge. It was a Saturday and we hit no traffic until the GW bridge.

So it sounds like the Garden State would preferable to 95 north of Perth Amboy?

It depends on what day and time you plan on making the trip up. Rt. 17 is brutal during rush hour or anytime on a Saturday (note: on a Sunday it's completely free of traffic because of the county blue laws, where everything is closed in Paramus and the surrounding towns but the Superchargers will still be open).

If you're passing thru the Paramus area and it's NOT between the hours of 4PM thru 7PM... take 95 (the NJ Turnpike) north to Exit 11 for the GS Parkway... then take the Parkway up to exit 163 which is a left exit for Rt. 17 north. The supercharger will be up the road about a mile on the right hand side. Then to continue up to the New England area get back on 17 north and take it up to I-287.

On an aside I live and work less than 10 minutes from the Paramus location and I have a 100A HPWC right off the NJ Turnpike in Little Ferry (search on Plugshare), it's a slower charge than a SC but honestly might be more convenient traffic wise to just hop off and back on 95 if you needed to top off and head back over the GW Bridge and it's during a tough traffic hour.

monkeyhouse2, Thanks for the guidance. I think this will work. We can get there well before 3 on a Friday. We are heading up 87 afterward to the Colonie Spc.
I appreciate the HPWC offer but I only have the single charger and mostly plan around SpCs.