Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How bad does my HPWC wish I had dual chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_5692.PNG

It's ALL about the voltage baby! Now, if I can just stumble upon a dual charger from Santa! LOL Maybe if it wasn't over 3000$ - Hey Elon - get reasonable with dual charger upgrades!!! $3600??? That box that is made in house CAN'T cost more than $350 to build!!! I know it's diamond season - but....LOL

Unless you're running out of time to charge at night (e.g. you run past TOU times, or you don't get fully charged by the time you leave), the only thing you gain with twin chargers at home is a bit of efficiency gain at the higher amperage (it's only below 32 amps that the inefficiencies really start to show). The reason for the high price for installing later is to encourage you to purchase twin charges with the car. That saves the them the time it takes to install later (even though they get paid for it, it means there's something else they couldn't do at the Service Centre).

The reason for the high price for installing later is to encourage you to purchase twin charges with the car. That saves the them the time it takes to install later (even though they get paid for it, means there's something else they couldn't do at the Service Centre).
Maybe that's true now, but the prices were set that way from the beginning when as has been confirmed here numerous times, many Tesla staff were actually discouraging people from ordering dual chargers, not encouraging it, unless they were buying HPWC.

I bought the twin chargers for road trips (and have used them several times), as well as a HPWC for the garage. The main reason for the HPWC is that I don't think the Mobile Connector is engineered to be used day in and day out for a permanent home charging solution. It may be better now with the adapter redesigns, etc. but I'm glad I made that decision after seeing what has happened in other situations. I carry my Mobile Connector in the trunk for when I need it, and use my wall-mounted HPWC for home charging...Works out great, and I don't have to worry about over heated or melted connectors on the Mobile Connector....

It's ALL about the voltage baby! Now, if I can just stumble upon a dual charger from Santa! LOL Maybe if it wasn't over 3000$ - Hey Elon - get reasonable with dual charger upgrades!!! $3600??? That box that is made in house CAN'T cost more than $350 to build!!! I know it's diamond season - but....LOL

Uh... it's a 10kW AC-DC isolated, regulated, automotive rated power supply. $3,000 is actually cheap for one of those.

For comparison, in the EV conversion world, you have:

• Manzanita Micro PFC40 (40A charger for an EV conversion), >$3k
  • EMotorWerks SmartCharge 12000 (12kW) - $2000-$2300 assembled, $1300 kit
These are parts only, without installation, so Tesla's price probably reasonable.

For comparison, in the EV conversion world, you have:

• Manzanita Micro PFC40 (40A charger for an EV conversion), >$3k
  • EMotorWerks SmartCharge 12000 (12kW) - $2000-$2300 assembled, $1300 kit
These are parts only, without installation, so Tesla's price probably reasonable.

Yes, but given that the option price when you order a car is $1,500, I find it hard to believe that there is $2,100 in labor and changed configuration to add the second charging module. I hope that Tesla lowers this price to a more reasonable point, like they have the HPWC and the mythical CHAdeMO adapter.

They're all ripoffs. EVSEs are just glorified extension cords. Maybe Monoprice needs to step in and shake things up.

Maybe no one has because they really are not all ripoffs. Maybe when you make and sell "glorified extension cords" you need adequate research, testing and certficiation to ensure quality and even after that you need expensive insurance, which all factor into the price beyond taking one apart and adding up the price of the parts.

Yes, but given that the option price when you order a car is $1,500, I find it hard to believe that there is $2,100 in labor and changed configuration to add the second charging module. I hope that Tesla lowers this price to a more reasonable point, like they have the HPWC and the mythical CHAdeMO adapter.

I saw a report that replacing a bad charger cost an out-of-warranty owner $3300, so they're pretty consistent. The chargers are located under the rear seats, so it could be quite a bit of work to install one after the fact.

Although I'm not positive - I believe that the coolant loops run in series with the current single charger. Would like some information regarding that if anyone knows. Also - I just swapped out the Nema 14-50 for a HPWC - there are a bunch of them brand new from Canada for 500$ ish on Ebay (cheaper and way more durable than the Mobile charger) and it comes with a great hanger for the cord and just so happens to clicks in like a supercharger. I did have 3 gauge wire to the original nema 14-50 and it's only 12' from main 400 amp service panel. I LOVE that the mobile charger is like it is designed and in the car for an unexpected emergency.

I would recommend the charger for anyone that has the simple ability to install it. It truly is simple. Truth be told - I haven't changed the breaker yet as it is only 50 amp. LOL but it looks cool on the screen. The dip switches tell the car what current is avail - The breaker is only 35$ and after calling myself out -I will probably click buy it on Amazon. LOL I did post it on Plugshare, but Being in Vegas near a TON of free jc1772 chargers and only 6 miles from a Supercharger - doesn't get me much action! Although before I had it - I did save a dudes butt! He rolled into my driveway with zero on the dash - on the way to the supercharger and a concert downtown.

Happy Holidays -

AJ

Although I'm not positive - I believe that the coolant loops run in series with the current single charger. Would like some information regarding that if anyone knows. Also - I just swapped out the Nema 14-50 for a HPWC - there are a bunch of them brand new from Canada for 500$ ish on Ebay (cheaper and way more durable than the Mobile charger) and it comes with a great hanger for the cord and just so happens to clicks in like a supercharger. I did have 3 gauge wire to the original nema 14-50 and it's only 12' from main 400 amp service panel. I LOVE that the mobile charger is like it is designed and in the car for an unexpected emergency.

I would recommend the charger for anyone that has the simple ability to install it. It truly is simple. Truth be told - I haven't changed the breaker yet as it is only 50 amp. LOL but it looks cool on the screen. The dip switches tell the car what current is avail - The breaker is only 35$ and after calling myself out -I will probably click buy it on Amazon. LOL I did post it on Plugshare, but Being in Vegas near a TON of free jc1772 chargers and only 6 miles from a Supercharger - doesn't get me much action! Although before I had it - I did save a dudes butt! He rolled into my driveway with zero on the dash - on the way to the supercharger and a concert downtown.

Happy Holidays -

AJ
If your 3 wires are 6 gauge becareful not to attempt 70 amp charging (assuming you have double chargers. That would require not only larger amp breaker but also 4 gauge wire