Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forum Members Unhappy Over Wait for P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS ... that is all takes. It has been over a week with NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER. GM is starting to look like a customer oriented company compared to Tesla.

We can only assume the worst when a company goes for more than a week without a peep. PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH US!

You have probably seen Andrew's letter that he emailed to Jerome. My experience is that Jerome will answer his email as the man rarely sleeps it could come at any time. I am confident with the level of concern expressed on this and the TM forum and the resultant use of some of the postings by the usual suspect FUDsters that we will see EM either blog/tweet or a formal press release.

I would suggest that while venting here is helpful (I have done it before) you are more likely to get an answer/satisfaction by emailing management/Fremont.

In my experience, Jerome is a sales guy who gives weasel answers. I wouldn't expect anything meaningful from him. He will give some partyline BS that Tesla is innovate and we should expect delays etc. etc. I would not hold my breath.

I have emailed Jerome on several occasions over the past 2 years and I totally disagree. In one instance he emailed my 'out of the blue' just to check up on a previously resolved issue just to make sure everything continued to be OK. TM has communication issues for sure, but in my experience Jerome is not part of that problem.

I have to say I am really disappointed with Tesla. The lack of information is very GM like and does not reflect the character of Tesla as a new kind of company. When I got the call about the delay almost a week ago I gave them the benefit of doubt. I thought they needed a couple of days to get their ducks in a row and tell us what is really happening. But this is frankly inexcusable. They've had almost a week to make up a story. Any story. Instead we are all sitting here in the dark with no info whatsoever. Many of us traded in our cars and are left with no cars waiting with no indication when we will even get a date for date. Stupid people like me (I think I am the only one here) ordered 2 cars and sold all ICE cars in the household. Tesla owes us an explanation. We didn't buy a Kia ... we bought a top of the line P85D for WELL over $100K. My cars come out to $340K with tax. That is a third of a million.

This is my third false start with Tesla. I had one of the VERY early signature reservation in Canada back in 2011 which I cancelled a year later when I couldn't get any info out of Tesla. Then I ordered a P85 in August that was supposed to have a 6-8 week delivery and ended up being a December delivery (which I cancelled) and now here I am with 2 P85Ds not knowing anything about the delivery and no cars in the household.

I am running out of patience. Tesla has a bad habit of over promising and under delivering. The fact that they are still promising December deliveries on their website is down right disgusting when people who ordered cars 1 minute after the announcement still do not know when they'll get their cars. It does not bode well for Tesla's integrity.

I am really on the fence. My emotional side says cancel both orders and buy ICE cars until Tesla gets their house in order but my logical side really loves the Tesla technology and performance. I just REALLY wish Tesla would make it easier for me to be a real fanboy. A little communication would go a LONG way.
Osama,
Don't let your emotions get the best of you. I'm sure some of the other Sig owners could chime in and say their 1-3 year wait was very frustrating but entirely worth it. The American Sigs started shipping 6 months before our Canadian ones and boy were we bent out of shape trying to figure out why. Time heals and when we got our cars all was forgotten. My Sig is now sold and I'll probably part with it late this week and have to make do with an ice loaner for who knows how long. Most of us would never go back to an ice car.
So hang in there and hopefully we'll all be joking about this soon. I think Andrew's letter was great and we should hear more soon.

In my experience, Jerome is a sales guy who gives weasel answers. I wouldn't expect anything meaningful from him. He will give some partyline BS that Tesla is innovate and we should expect delays etc. etc. I would not hold my breath.

Your experience is admittedly pretty limited (you just ordered a few months ago), vs. a lot of forum members saying their experience with Jerome (in particular) is nothing like you describe.

Can you give the specific interaction that would lead you to make such a negative post?

I disagree with you ... here is his weasel answer to me after I ordered my P85 in August and was promised a 6-8 week delivery. I think you'll agree that my assessment of his answer is accurate:

As our team has told you, we can build and deliver your car by December. That’s what we can guarantee. Yet, we are looking at ways to build your car earlier.

Our plant is in the middle of a rapid expansion, where we are implementing technology which has never been used anywhere else in the world. We push constantly for innovation and invention: that’s what it will take to develop the best possible cars, which in turn will help accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

We do not have a master manufacturing plan where everything is planned down to the minute – that would not be compatible with innovation, especially for a small company like ours. Finally, we build all custom cars - unlike traditional car makers and their dealers who try to sell you cars which have been built some time ago and have been sitting on their lot, all our cars are built precisely to the specifications from each customer.

While this might not be the answer you want, it is a direct and accurate statement.

A ******** answer that says nothing other than your car will be ready when it is ready. Not comforting given that was a P85 order.

While I do not wish to 'fan the flames' here as you are clearly upset it appears to be a truthful answer. The factory was shut down longer than anyone would have liked and pushed your production and delivery date back. I would have been upset as well but not at the answer Jerome gave you. It appears to be direct and truthful.

I realize my answer may not be to your liking as well but I have always gotten straight forward information from him. Again, I have problems with TM communications generally but not Jerome specifically.

Another vote for Jerome being a nice and honest person who reached out to us when we were going through a tough time after our accident and had lost our Model S.
I don't mean to be judgmental but, a sense of entitlement is not going to help resolve this. Some (more) patience will obviously help here; this should surely be sorted out sometime this week.

Tracking P85D delivery thread

Yeah. Jerome has been great to customers. So the car is delayed a few weeks. Some of us waited over 3 years for our cars. I think a little patience is in order.

Last edited:
+1 for Jerome. I explained to him that I sold my P85 in anticipation of my originally scheduled delivery last Thursday and was down 1 car due to the delay. He was able to arrange for a rental car for me to tie me over. Excellent customer service in my opinion.

I disagree with you ... here is his weasel answer to me after I ordered my P85 in August and was promised a 6-8 week delivery. I think you'll agree that my assessment of his answer is accurate:

As our team has told you, we can build and deliver your car by December. That’s what we can guarantee. Yet, we are looking at ways to build your car earlier.

Our plant is in the middle of a rapid expansion, where we are implementing technology which has never been used anywhere else in the world. We push constantly for innovation and invention: that’s what it will take to develop the best possible cars, which in turn will help accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

We do not have a master manufacturing plan where everything is planned down to the minute – that would not be compatible with innovation, especially for a small company like ours. Finally, we build all custom cars - unlike traditional car makers and their dealers who try to sell you cars which have been built some time ago and have been sitting on their lot, all our cars are built precisely to the specifications from each customer.

While this might not be the answer you want, it is a direct and accurate statement.

A ******** answer that says nothing other than your car will be ready when it is ready. Not comforting given that was a P85 order.
Osama
I think people are upset at the word 'weasel' that you have used twice now, it sounds very derogatory. I feel your frustration and agree that communication is lacking but there is no need for name calling. Just try and chill a wee bit and this will all be behind us soon.

It was great to see the photo earlier today that looks like a P85D delivered to a customer. I hope this is what it seems and you all get your cars very soon.

I can understand why there is frustration with Tesla's communication. It's an area they can improve on.

That said, I think it's worth bearing in mind, that it's been a week or so of delay, and we don't know what's been going on behind the scenes. Tesla and it's communications receive intense media scrutiny and are often misrepresented in a flood of media coverage for a variety of reasons. It may be that Tesla has been trying to negotiate with the EPA what is on the Monroney, sticker, and what Tesla is at liberty to discuss with the public about it. I am fairly confident that the 85D and P85D will achieve the 65 mph ranges Tesla had on it's website for the past month or so. That the EPA ratings have confused some here who follow Tesla so closely and are actually purchasing the car to the point of their thinking that the those 65 mph range readings have changed, is indicative of how much interest Tesla has in releasing the EPA numbers in a manner that does not lead to the misunderstanding that the company's claim of increased efficiency at the October 9th event is false. That is, if those following Tesla without an agenda to damage the company have misunderstood the implications of those EPA numbers, imagine what those who would like to damage the company might do with the EPA numbers. It appears the car is more efficient in some driving circumstances, less efficient in others... but in the one where range matters, it appears the car does indeed have better efficiency and range. I believe Tesla is pro-actively working to keep that point from being buried in misleading coverage. I get that those of you waiting for your cars would rather they just pro-actively get you a date for your car... I'm sure I'd feel some of that too if I were in your shoes. What's more, I think Tesla would have done better early on to say increased efficiency in highway driving, some lost efficiency in city driving.

Finally, this is speculation, but if Tesla was attempting to negotiate with the EPA, you can be sure the kind of media frenzy and misrepresentation of information we saw with the Broder NYT "article" and the vehicle fires (including misrepresentations of Tesla's responses once those stories broke) would have disrupted constructive discussions with the EPA.

Tesla can do better with communications. At the same time, Tesla would be foolish not to have learned how careful they have to be communicating about information susceptible to a media firestorm.

I suspect we'll see a Tesla blog on all this very soon... perhaps later tonight.

Enjoy your cars when you get them, and please don't forget to write us about your experiences with the car!

unfortunately, agree with the comment saying every Tesla customer right now is early adopter. THere is a long , long list of price you pay for being in that priviledge, and this is one of them. Yes, even you who paid 120k USD, essentially a S class price segment.

this car company has one product so far. Tens of thousands sold total so far, as opposed to 100 000s or millions. So we're not near the "early majority" phase. Not even close.

...personally, i am sad to see this latest update. Dual drive was promised to increase range, because it's more efficient - something only possible with EVs, they said. Sad to see this is clearly not the case. As much as i support Elon, he does have a history of Steve Jobs-like exaggeration and hype creation.

hopefully, jerome answers soon.

READ MY POST. I said "weasel answer". That is very different than calling the person a weasel. "weasel answer" is an expression. It means the person is avoiding giving a real meaningful answer. There is nothing derogatory about.

Also ... who keeps deleting my posts? Is this a forum or a fanboy club? I do not appreciate the constant policing for no good reason.
Still using the word weasel isn't necessary. If your posts are being deleted you have to take that up with the moderators because we wouldn't be aware of that. If that is the case I would guess that they are concerned with more than using the word weasel.

READ MY POST. I said "weasel answer". That is very different than calling the person a weasel. "weasel answer" is an expression. It means the person is avoiding giving a real meaningful answer. There is nothing derogatory about.

Also ... who keeps deleting my posts? Is this a forum or a fanboy club? I do not appreciate the constant policing for no good reason.

What posts have been deleted? We very rarely delete posts. Some posts are moved to snippiness, politics or religion threads if they cross the line but pointers are left.

Are you really this upset by a maybe one to two week delay?

What posts have been deleted? We very rarely delete posts. Some posts are moved to snippiness, politics or religion threads if they cross the line but pointers are left.

Are you really this upset by a maybe one to two week delay?

I think he is really upset about the absolute lack of communication and the miscommunication from Tesla staff. Why some DSs are telling some people it's due to the seats not being ready and others are saying it's because of the window stickers is beyond me. My particular DS has no clue of the delay at all. WHAT? There are other publicly traded companies that have faced similar situations and were still able to communicate to customers in some fashion. Keeping quiet is complete BS and is awful customer service. I guess someone should give these guys a Business 101 class.

Do I wish I had the car by now? Yes.
Am I going to be ***** if they don't deliver by the end of the year? Hell yeah
Am I going to be mad that all along the way they are telling me I will have the car in December? Yup
Would I be less mad if I was kept in the loop JUST A LITTLE? 100%

Last edited by a moderator:

How about just calming down a little and leave out the yelling (CAPS) here? You want to yell at Tesla go ahead and yell at them, it's not acceptable etiquette to do it here.

Now, I checked and none of your posts have been deleted or moved....yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Note to mod: .... anyone can still get that information from the image?

We don't edit or censor EXIF data. That's up to the individual member whether they leave it there or not.

BTW, what makes you think it is a one to two week delay? My DS was very careful to make sure I understood that the delay is unknown at this point. I haven't read or heard anything credible that points to the delay being one or two weeks. How do you know that it is not 10 or 20 weeks?

How do you know it is? I understand the frustration about not hearing anything but better to wait until you have concrete information about how much of delay there actually is first.

Well ... another day goes by and no new information from Tesla. This is getting ridiculous especially in the light of the fact that Tesla still promising December deliveries for people who order tonight. Of course, we all know (and they know) that they are lying through their teeth. Tesla is deliberately setting unattainable expectations. Why on earth would they still promise December deliveries for people ordering today when they can't even tell people who ordered on the eve of the announcement when they'll get their cars?

They are well into the deceptive/dishonest marketing zone now. No excuse for that (new company or old).

You can't be serious. If you don't know what's going on with your car how could you possibly know what Tesla can and can't achieve for someone ordering now? I realize you're frustrated but you're simply not in a position to know what they can or can't do.

Last edited: