Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DOME Lights: Not LED?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - I have a quick question about our Dome lights.

I picked up my car (12/3/14) last week and love everything about it except for one thing, the DOME lights. I was expecting that the DOME lights would be a bright white LED. Instead, I got a yellow colored bulb. It might be LED too but who knows. :crying:

Did anyone of you get the same thing? and if so, did you guys ask if this can be replaced or did you have to buy an aftermarket LED bulb for our dome light? If yes, can you please share info?

Thank you in advance.

Here's what Im talking about. Not a happy camper... :crying:

2014-12-07 17.38.49.jpg
2014-12-07 17.39.30.jpg
2014-12-07 17.42.15.jpg
2014-12-07 17.43.54.jpg

My dome lights are the bright white LEDs. Did you get the tech package? That or maybe they've decided to make a change to the yellow lights. To be honest, I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer the yellow ones myself as the LED ones are pretty blinding at night.

They may be LED but perhaps they changed to a different color temperature bulb. I kinda find the ones in my car a little too cool, but yours look too warm, although it's hard to tell because your photo is taken during the daytime, so anything below 6500K is going to look warm based on your camera using the sunlight for white balance.

Warmer color temperatures are better for night driving. The closer to the red end of the spectrum, the less disturbance to your night vision. Those dome lights are still LED, just with a different color temperature. I would see this as an improvement.

Thanks guys for the input. I agree that they are still LEDs but with different color temperature. i do have the tech package. i still prefer the bright white especially at night when i'm trying to look for something in the car. (when the car is NOT in motion)

Do you guys prefer the warmer color?

i think the dome lights, should match the interior accent light. Do you guys agree? maybe it's just me. :confused:

Thanks guys for the input. I agree that they are still LEDs but with different color temperature. i do have the tech package. i still prefer the bright white especially at night when i'm trying to look for something in the car. (when the car is NOT in motion)

i think the dome lights, should match the interior accent light. Do you guys agree? maybe it's just me. :confused:

I agree, all the interior lights should be the same color temperature, which they had been up until now apparently.

I agree, I personally like the white LEDs. These new ones makes it feel outdated like old interior dome lights. =(

I find the dome lights slightly too cool, but totally agree the color temperature should match between all lights inside the car. Mention it to your SC and see what they say. They might be able to swap them for the cooler temperature bulbs or maybe this was some kind of supplier mistake where they got parts that were supposed to be one color temperature and they were a different one.

pgiralt: we actually have an appt to install my new wheels in Fremont, CA near the TESLA facility. I will definitely stop by and ask. I just installed my license plate LED and as you guys can see below, the difference between warm and cool. now all of my lights matches (headlight, fog, license plate, accent) except for the DOME lights. :redface:

I find the dome lights slightly too cool, but totally agree the color temperature should match between all lights inside the car. Mention it to your SC and see what they say. They might be able to swap them for the cooler temperature bulbs or maybe this was some kind of supplier mistake where they got parts that were supposed to be one color temperature and they were a different one.

FullSizeRender-4.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

I think that the white/blue LEDs look more futuristic, but the light is a bit harsh and is quite a rude awakening when you put the car in park at night especially after a long drive. I've had a few passengers request to turn the dome lights off. I would be interested in swapping LEDs for the newer yellow ones (maybe). I would like to see them in person first.

It is amusing to read this thread and the differing opinions on light color. Poor Tesla, no matter what they do they can't win. I am waiting for someone to demand that all the interior light colors be infinitely adjustable from near infrared up into the low ultraviolet through the touchscreen, then through the app, then by voice command.

• Funny
Reactions: CameronB
It is amusing to read this thread and the differing opinions on light color. Poor Tesla, no matter what they do they can't win. I am waiting for someone to demand that all the interior light colors be infinitely adjustable from near infrared up into the low ultraviolet through the touchscreen, then through the app, then by voice command. 
don't forget having them adjust, depending on whether the car is moving or not.