Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any comment on trade-in values from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I take delivery at the end of the month and I am currently determining a trade-in value. Does anyone have a comment on whether the value that Tesla gives you is fair?

Anyone know what discount I should expect from the price of an equivalent vehicle on Auto Trader? If I see an equivalent vehicle listed for 48 then what should I expect for my car? 40? 43? 36?

It depends on type. If it is an ICE trade in, Tesla will perform an evaluation of the car then put it out for bid to their wholesale partners. The best number wins which has shown to provide a good competitive trade in valuation.

If it is a Model S, well, there are threads devoted to that so I will not get up on my milk crate and start singing here.

Wayne, a few of us have had success in using Auto Trader (Canada) and also listing the vehicle for sale here on TMC...I know of one other private sale (other than myself) who sold privately and exceeded the trade in offer from Tesla...use the Tesla trade in offer as your "starting place" and list the vehicle's sale price accordingly...either way, I would list your vehicle now rather than wait.

i was considering a Volvo V60 R-Design before the Tesla. I was offered $12,000 for my trade there.

I expect I could have gotten $15,000 selling privately but it would have meant $1,000 in repairs to certify it and losing the 13% tax credit at trade.

Tesla offered me $11,000 which was close enough. Then, a week later that dropped $500 because they 'noticed' things at a second inspection. That was kinda 'used car salesman-ish' of them.