Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

940hp roadster hyper car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oneday

Nov 29, 2014
Bay Area
Using the dual motor config with the 470 hp motor in both the front and rear, the roadsters could compete with the McLaren P1 and the Ferrari Laferrari.

I suspect it would even beat them in 0-60 times.

Although I know the focus for Tesla is to get to the model 3 and therefore this is unlikely to happen, I personally think they should go for it!

What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as the abovementioned cars go for a million dollars, this might be a great way for Tesla to raise some capital, just my 2¢

I think two 470hp motors in a compact lightweight Roadster style EV would be overkill. Put the current P85D motors in a much lighter Roadster body and it would certainly do 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and with its low COG could be designed to handle as well or better than any street legal vehicle currently for sale. The best part would be that Tesla could likely sell it for under $120K and still make a handsome profit. Take that, million dollar "hypercars"!

Personally I would be happy with a new Roadster with just the 380hp motor. It would be much lighter than a Dual Motor version, there would be more space up front, and it would likely be a better car all around than a Porsche 911 costing many thousands more: I suspect Tesla could sell it for under $100K with an 85kW battery, and sell a lot of them! Now that would be awesome.

Model S is a big car.
The 85kWh pack is big and takes up all that under body room.
If the next gen Roadster is smaller (both less wide and shorter) then the battery pack likely needs to be smaller.
So, I think they may need some next gen battery tech to do it right.

Also, max power output may be battery pack limited, so trying to using two P85+ motors may not get anywhere near the 940hp mentioned in this thread.

The other thing I was thinking was that the draw from both those motors would possibly overheat the battery.

Yet throught software they could regulate it and gearing the rear motor differently you could possibly achieve over 200mph top speed

The only thing is, you still have to have a battery that can push out enough power for something like that. Also, perhaps it would be better to use four of the 221 hp motors for, 884 hp. That way you could have awd torque vectoring in the same way that the electric sls gullwing does. There are significant advantages to this setup, especially in handling as you can shift power to left or right side of the car in corners. However, the drawback is weight as the weight of a motor more or less scales with the sqaure root of the horsepower of the motors. Obviously having for motors scales linearly so the motor weight would be twice as much for a four motor setup than for a 2 motor setup. Just food for thought.

The only thing is, you still have to have a battery that can push out enough power for something like that. Also, perhaps it would be better to use four of the 221 hp motors for, 884 hp. That way you could have awd torque vectoring in the same way that the electric sls gullwing does. There are significant advantages to this setup, especially in handling as you can shift power to left or right side of the car in corners. However, the drawback is weight as the weight of a motor more or less scales with the sqaure root of the horsepower of the motors. Obviously having for motors scales linearly so the motor weight would be twice as much for a four motor setup than for a 2 motor setup. Just food for thought.

This. If they can make the battery pack handle 900 hp surges, the quad is certainly the way to go for ultimate performance and handling, like the SLS EV, Rimac, and the C-X75 concept.

There are some interesting videos and reviews floating around about what Honda has been doing with active handling using a couple small motors on the rear wheels of the RLX hybrid to give you ideas.
Walter

Model S is a big car.
The 85kWh pack is big and takes up all that under body room.
If the next gen Roadster is smaller (both less wide and shorter) then the battery pack likely needs to be smaller.
So, I think they may need some next gen battery tech to do it right.

I am confident that in a year or two or three there will be cells with significantly higher capacity than are currently in the Model S, and was assuming that in my musings about a single motor 380hp next generation Roadster with an 85kW battery: the battery would then be about 25% smaller than the S battery.

I would love it if the next gen Roadster is as compact as the first gen Roadster was, but suspect it will be somewhat bigger.

...I would love it if the next gen Roadster is as compact as the first gen Roadster was, but suspect it will be somewhat bigger.

I assume that is a given. Tesla had limited options of ultra light weight chassis technology they could re-purpose for the first gen "proof of concept" vehicle, but I don't think they will go all the way back to such a minimalist vehicle with so little storage space and interior room.

My preference would be for a Grand Touring convertible two seater with as much motor as can be squeezed in. Think a Tesla version of a Mercedes SL AMG or Aston Martin. Having owned a too small Lotus Elise and not being interested in the track, I'd go for that before the S≡X lineup or an update of the original Roadster.

Overkill for the vast majority, without a doubt. However, given the option a 940hp 120kwh roadster could sell. They could do one option similar to the p85d and also do a h120d. Hyper 120kwh dual motor roadster.

The mass market is the mission, but the luxury performance following is growing, no reason to dismiss it.

High performance estimate

Performance estimates for a Toyota / Lexus LFA with the current 691HP / S85D power train are below.
This may represent the upper performance limit.

Tesla LWE.jpg

A practical four motor 1,382HP drivetrain depends somewhat on improved battery energy density and high performance tires with a useful service life.
But this may not be a practical or commercial car, as very few people possess the skill or physical conditioning to operate a car at very high G forces.

Last edited:
Think About The Future...

It seems to me there will be room in the Tesla Motors stable for multiple performance vehicles eventually. Currently Tesla's high end products are being used to raise revenue to support the development and release of affordable, mainstream, mass market products.

Part of the appeal of Supercars and Hypercars, what contributes to their extreme expense, even beyond exotic materials used in their construction, is the low volume nature of their production. They are rare cars, meant for exclusive clientele.

That is the exact opposite of what Tesla Motors wants to accomplish. They want electric vehicles to be ubiquitous, inclusive of everyone.

Tesla Motors will surely introduce 'halo cars' in the future. The Tesla Roadster and Model S P85D are just early examples of more to come.

But we must always be aware of Tesla Motors goal. They intend to prove that electric vehicles are superior to ICE in every arena when it comes to performance, regardless of price point.

Here's what I expect to see from them, eventually:

• Model S Coupe - Grand Tour vehicle, possibly with Falcon Wing Doors
  • Model S Cabriolet - Hard top convertible two door with 2+2 seating
  • Model R - Targa top two seat sports car
  • Model Z - Extremely high performance track ready Supercar
  • Model ≡ Coupe - Long, low, sleek ride for people who do not have children to transport
  • Model ≡ Cabriolet - A convertible version of the coupe
  • Model ≡ Sporthatch - Short wheelbase runabout
  • Model L - Six passenger Pullman Limousine class vehicle
The problem of course, is that these will all have to wait. These form factors do not sell well enough to be released any time soon. The release of each would be well timed to coincide with increased capacity. The script would flip, and the real mass market cars would support their devlopment and release. But until then, we must remain... patient.

I hope before Tesla spends one second thinking about such a project they first deliver on outstanding promises. Let's keep the focus on the real goal which is a mass market EV.

In all fairness a 940 hp car probably falls into the anticipated new roadster from TM already contained in the outstanding promises. Though I am not really sure it was PROMISED it certainly seems to be in the plan at some point.

I am not aware of any "promise" made by Tesla or Elon that a new Roadster will ever be offered, or even a vague statement to that effect. It's just generally assumed that "someday" there will be a new Roadster. I think that is a reasonable assumption. It's the timing that is unknown. Within 5 years? Perhaps. Within 10 years? Probably, or maybe not. It's too far out in the future to forecast with any reasonable degree of accuracy: too many variables and unknowns.