Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 top speed now 140???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The newer cars have a different rotor design, which allows the motor to rev a bit higher. It's hard to say when the switchover was made. Elon talked about this in early 2013.

Ok, I'm confused. The S60 and S85 now have the same motor output (380 hp). How can that be? The S60 must be battery limited.

Also, can someone translate hp to kW? My Sig has a peak of 324 kW ~100% SOC.
324 kW is 434 hp. For future reference, you can use Google to convert units (and currencies) pretty readily -- just Google "324 kW in hp" (or whatever you want to convert). I'm still waiting for the ability to Google a latte and have it appear next next to me, perfectly made, though... :tongue:

Picture....

Model_S_Design_Studio___Tesla_Motors.jpg

My S85 is about two months old, and I can confirm that I've exceeded its supposed top speed of 125 MPH by an amount that heavily called into question Tesla's claimed top speed. Let's just say the stated 140 MPH makes MUCH more sense now.
Jeez, stop with the cagey BS. :rolleyes:

Just say how fast you drove. Nobody knows who you are or in what jurisdiction said event supposedly happened. You could even claim to have done it legally on a track.

I can confirm the 996 GT3 can go 160, and still accelerates pretty hard at 160 in 5th (back straight at Watkins Glen). See, it's not that hard...

The newer cars have a different rotor design, which allows the motor to rev a bit higher. It's hard to say when the switchover was made. Elon talked about this in early 2013.

Yeah, but the S60 and S85 both have the same output? That doesn't seem right. Also, if I'm getting 434 hp on my non P model, then I confused as to how 380 is considered an upgrade.

Jeez, stop with the cagey BS. :rolleyes:

Just say how fast you drove. Nobody knows who you are or in what jurisdiction said event supposedly happened. You could even claim to have done it legally on a track.

I can confirm the 996 GT3 can go 160, and still accelerates pretty hard at 160 in 5th (back straight at Watkins Glen). See, it's not that hard...

137 and was still accelerating when I let off.

Yeah, but the S60 and S85 both have the same output? That doesn't seem right. Also, if I'm getting 434 hp on my non P model, then I confused as to how 380 is considered an upgrade.

The 85kwh and the 60kwh use the same motor, they always have, but the amount of power that can get pulled from the battery is less on the 60 than on the 85. All Tesla has started doing is showing the actual motor rating not what the car can actually do.

Has anyone else not noticed this? And NO this is not on the S85D this is the rear wheel drive S85. I've got a call in to my local SC to see about allowing my P85 to go 140.

Some friendly advice: if you are bound and determined to learn the top speed of your pride & joy, do it at a track day. Take video of the drive and your unblemished undershorts and post an epic brag here.

The alternative of doing it on a public roadway will land you an inside-view of a jail cell, as local DC Nationals player Jayson Werth is about to learn. Jayson Werth in court is exactly what youd imagine Jayson Werth in court to be like - The Washington Post

Money quote: asked by the cop what he was doing driving his Porsche 105mph on I-495, Werth said, "Pressing my luck."

Enjoy your car safely.

Paul

324 kW is 434 hp. For future reference, you can use Google to convert units (and currencies) pretty readily -- just Google "324 kW in hp" (or whatever you want to convert). I'm still waiting for the ability to Google a latte and have it appear next next to me, perfectly made, though... :tongue:

The 324kw is what the battery is outputting. But not all of the electrical energy translates to mechanical energy since it's not 100% efficient.
Tesla claims 90% efficiency (much higher than ICE) which translates to roughly 390 mechanical hp, close to what Tesla advertises.
There's no drivetrain to speak of so the majority of that would go to the wheels. So in terms of pure HP, the 380hp Tesla motor would produce the same wheel HP as a 460-470hp ICE, given that the ICE will have much higher parasitic losses.

This is all mostly speculation on my part.